Lionel Messi šŸ

I value Ronaldo doing it in multiple countries more personally. But thatā€™s moreso subjective. I know some would argue his longetivity in La Liga sheer dominance to be as much if not more impressive.

1 Like

Every time Messi faced the best English competition he routinely took them to the cleaners

That isnā€™t as decisive as you think it is IMO

Broadly agree, dont get me wrong, but I have a feeling that Chelsea might have been an exception to that for at least a few years.

Disclaimer: I may have totally imagined this

In 86ā€¦I donā€™t doubt it. In 1990 Iā€™m not seeing it.

Dive?! The only dive was from the Argentine who turned into Mustafi for a quick second

Germany should have had a penalty earlier anyway. Stonewall pen turned down despite the defender getting all man and no ball.

They were the exception for like 8 games in terms of scoring, he had to wait for that one lol

1 Like

He couldnā€™t score against Chelsea for quite some time iirc, my mate always bangs on about it so donā€™t think youā€™re off the mark.

Pretty sure heā€™s had no issue more recently though. I do agree with GCā€™s point but that doesnā€™t mean Messi couldnā€™t have, he just didnā€™t.

1 Like

Itā€™s all wrong Italy should have won the tournament

1 Like

After I finish the Brazil-Argentina match, the Semi is the next one on my watchlist :).

in 90, nope.
(West) Germany was much better

Best squad of players ever assembled at a world cup Italy.
Couldnā€™t handle the pressure most of the tournament.
Still annoyed that Mancini never got a minute of game time.

2 Likes

Personally, I wouldnā€™t use Messiā€™s international record to denigrate him, but I think it is fair enough if people take Maradonaā€™s international achievements as a big positive and cite that as a key reason why they think heā€™s the greatest.

2 Likes

3rd vs 4th should absolutely have been the final.

Personally I see Messi as the superior overall player but I rate the breadth of Ronaldoā€™s achievements higher. He won things domestically in 3 different top leagues and won continentally with teams from 2 of the top leagues.

Then thereā€™s the Euros and although Ronaldo didnā€™t do a whole lot in the final, Messi was much the same in Argentinaā€™s Copa America victory. For me, the Euros is a superior competition to the Copa America so thatā€™s a factor too.

Again, I think Messi is overall a superior player as he does more things well and has more to his game but my personal criteria for assessment factors in achievements as well as that is why the game is played.

The fact that we wont ever see Messi in the Premier League is extremely disappointing. I do think heā€™d have killed it here but thatā€™s not what happened in reality.

Like you say, itā€™s subjective and so others will have different criteria.

3 Likes

Did Messi play for a club like Napoliā€™s caliber, and led them to win the league twice, Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana and UEFA Cup once each?

Maradonaā€™s success and fairytale at Napoli was no fluke; and he won the WC with a bunch of bums.

4 Likes

I love Maradona so much but that Argentina team were no bums. Amazing squad complimented by his genius

If ARG go out in the group stage, can we universally admit that Messi isnā€™t top 10?

I rate this haha

4 Likes

It feels a bit like you are arguing with me but I donā€™t know why, maybe Iā€™m reading it wrong lol.

You what mate? :rofl:

5 Likes

nah, I was notā€¦

How many players from Diegoā€™s team would count as their very best, player of all time?
Probably none