Lionel Messi ๐Ÿ

Was pretty non-existent in the final though and missed a great chance by overdoing things.

I found myself watching the 1990 World Cup Final. If either CR7 or Messi performed as Maradona had done, it would be legacy defining.

Maradona had close to zero impact the entire game. Argentina managed a solitary shot and Iโ€™m pretty sure that came when Maradona was changing his boots off the pitch.

1 Like

But you forgot to mention that he played the whole tournament with an injured ankle an infected toe and back problems despite going against doctors orders not to play.

1 Like

Made the goal against Brazil in round 2. Kicked off the park against Cameroon and scored the winning pen against Italy.
No way on earth that Argentina side should reach a world cup final.
One man dragged his team to that final.

2 Likes

Argentina was the biggest threat for my Germany team in 86 and 90.
Have to admit that Maradona carried that team pretty much the most.
Talk about bums, Diegoโ€™s team had way more than Messiโ€™s team(s)

3 Likes

Couldnโ€™t feel any pain from the 5 grams of coke heโ€™d had pre-match tbf

You guys burnt today arenโ€™t you. :innocent:

What guys? :joy:

Might wana check the Ronaldo thread if you mean messi fanboys :joy:

Messi fanboys

Tethered Goats.

If Messi bow out like this, no way he is better than Diego

Sorry but Messi didnโ€™t do anything today

he should be slagging his team mates off run his socks off

Dude is just chilling in offside position more often then not

Not impressed

Who is doing the better job of un-goating themselves?

• Messi
  • Ronaldo

0 voters

Ronaldo obviously, heโ€™s better at everything :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Theyโ€™re all voting Messi over in the Ronaldo thread. :man_shrugging:t3:

Currently watching the Brazil game but havenโ€™t got up to the goal. Canโ€™t say Iโ€™ve been impressed by Argentina or Maradona. Brazil have been all over them in the early phase.

TIL

Germany were so much more superior to Argentina. Joke of a final

Bizarro world. :rofl:

Brazil were clear favourites. The point being made it was an awful Argentina side that made a world cup final on one mans ability and immense personality and embracing of pressure.
Nobody has ever come close to matching that.

And the final was won by a dive for the penalty against 10 men.

For me theyโ€™re both the greatest players Iโ€™ve ever seen but in different ways.

Messi had the greatest peak, there was a period when Messi was an absolute menace. Iโ€™m not talking about the modern version of Messi. Iโ€™m talking about the guy that used get the ball from the middle of the park, dribbled everyone in sight, usually proceeding to score or set someone up. Really uncomfortable watching matches supporting the opposing side.

Ronaldo on the other hand had the greatest career overall. Heโ€™s done pretty much everything and conquered multiple competitions as well. His evolution as a player and overall impact is also something more noteworthy.

Hope I didnโ€™t piss off Messi and Ronaldo fanboys now.

Couldnโ€™t be further from the truth. Messi has ultimately won more so how do you figure that CR7 had the greatest career?

And Messi evolution has a player has been dramatically more impressive. He has learned to age very gracefully whilst still being able to contribute to multiple facets of a game.