Leicester City

Championship > Scottish Premiership

4 Likes

On the point of grammar, it’s more of a stylistic choice, both are correct.

Some (my gf is an editor and I’ve asked her before if one is better than the other) would say that “Rodgers’s” is clearer, I think that the s next to the s is unnecessary and looks messy, and would favour " Rodgers’ "

2 Likes

True for the most part. Still I’d happily take a 102 goal season and a manager getting the very best out of all our forwards. He really did bring on Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge and Sterling onto another level while getting the last drops out of Gerrard.

I’m not sure they did choke either, Mourinho just had the style to sit back and counter that high line. Aside from that and the Palace draw they went on an epic run in the second half of the season, actually beat City, battered us in the run in and won they’re final game, which might have seen them get over the line but City won too. In truth they had us pegged in our own half at the Emirates in that cup game and probably could have had a pen.

Liverpool’s transfer committee didn’t too well when Suarez left either and he had to deal with that fallout. He did a decent job at Swansea and Celtic too.

1 Like

No doubt Rodgers coaches good attacking play and was great at using Suarez as a point of reference for the team. But it came at the expense of any semblance of balance and I don’t understand how a team who conceded 50 goals expected to be a title winning team?

Rodgers showed no flexibility and poor game management. He’s very much culpable for the Liverpool collapse. It’s also worth noting the only reason Liverpool got that opportunity that season was because Wenger’s team collapsed despite leading for so long.

1 Like

At least @ me mate c’mon

3 Likes

Haha… mate your defensive record just gives me anxiety

Its got better now in 20/21! haha De Gea has most cleansheets in the league with 6 in first week of October

Managing Celtic must be the easiest job in Europe.
They are about Championship level and are playing clubs that are no better than 1st Division standard.

Rodgers is far better than that, and Leicester are a fairly ambitious club with decent support.
He won’t be under as much pressure as he would have been at one of the big clubs and it will give him a chance to put himself in the shop window.

I’ve always felt this view that they bottled it was extremely harsh.

The key to it all was losing that match to Chelsea and as we all know, they only went behind because of that hilarious slip from Gerrard and Mourinho pulled off his usual defensive show. That’s all on Gerrard as far as I’m concerned. The Crystal Palace match was obviously a total cock up, but that only happened at that point because they began to chase the GD, as that was the only way they could catch City at that stage. In the end, even if that match would’ve ended 3-0, the damage had been done against Chelsea and it was over anyway.

We also have to remember that the fact that they were in the position to potentially win that title was a credit to Rodgers in this first place. They went on a run of something like 10 straight wins to get there when they had been totally out of the picture for a lot of the season. I also think that when people try to say it was only because he had Suarez, that’s a totally unfair comment. He also had a piss poor defense, so it’s not like having Suarez meant that they should be guaranteed the title.

I think as rival fans we like to think they “bottled it”, when in reality that doesn’t provide the more nuanced view of it all imo.

2 Likes

If you’re top with 3 games to go having just beaten your closes title rivals Manchester City and you lose the title - you’ve bottled it. I appreciate your perspective but I totally disagree with it. The loss at home against an injury ridden Chelsea side is a stain.

2 Likes

I get that, but I just think “bottling it” for me would be like having a massive lead with say 5-10 matches to go and blowing it, which wasn’t the case.

I think that Chelsea result really just hinged on that madness from Gerrard. I don’t necessarily like citing a single instance in a match to be as defining as that, but when your talisman basically hands Chelsea a goal on the stroke of half time out of nothing, it was going to be really difficult to come back against Mourinho then. Chelsea were definitely depleted in that match but they still had a good enough side to spoil the party if you hand them a goal in such scandalous fashion.

It’s all about perspective though, I can’t say you’re wrong but this is just my opinion of it.

2 Likes

That game is all on Gerrard imo not Rodgers. He slipped then tried to fix it himself with constant long rage shooting. Then probably the worst corner in the world by Aspas gave Chelsea the chance to counter and kill the game off at 0-2

2 Likes

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
He slipped on his f*cking arse,
He gave it to Demba Ba,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard

2 Likes

Rodgers worked wonders in playing a formation they no longer use with players they no longer have :mustafi:

1 Like
1 Like

Iheanacho will turn God mode now.

My Liverpool mate couldn’t stand Brendan ‘Outstanding’ Rodgers, so having him back in England, will be fun :laughing: Be interesting to see how he fares at Leicester. Solid foundations to build them into something decent I think.

2 Likes

What’s happened to this guy? Thought he had the attributes to reach the top

1 Like

Always thought he was a decent coach which is what mid table is all about. He won’t come unstuck in a tight CL tie or title race and the odd bad run will be forgiven, and he’ll probably amass the kind of points to get Leicester competing for 7th.

3 Likes