La Liga

I didn’t say that, I said it’s fair to see football crowds as a reflection of their society, is Spain a country that has struggled to acknowledge and tackle racism? Absolutely.

Is England a country with a problem with homophobia and antisemitism? Maybe not as much as it did a couple of decades ago but both are present and both can still be heard in football grounds as a result.

A country isn’t defined by football so it’s a ridiculous statement you are making, you don’t go to a classical concert where the orchestra members are from differing cultures or races and start chanting abuse nor do you go to an athletics meeting or just about most places where a crowd gathers would you hear racist abuse.

Abuse of any kind is prevalent everywhere and yes it’s heard more in Spain and Italy because the players it’s directed at are more likely to be more famous .

Racism is even more of a problem in the old eastern bloc countries but you don’t hear about because there aren’t any players there of note to make it reportable

I take issue with anyone labelling a country disgusting because of the actions of some football fans.
Football is the problem here and if anyone thinks otherwise you need to see what’s going on your own doorstep before any accusations against a whole society in general

Not sure I can agree that football is the problem, racism is a societal issue and the reality is that it’s a bigger social issue in some countries than others. If football itself was the issue, you’d see the same levels of racist abuse perpetuated by fans across nations, but it seems fairly clear to me that football fans in different countries engage in racist abuse at different levels.

2 Likes

I’ve caused a nice little stir here.

Fwiw I did mean in particular those fans in vini’s tweet as that’s the evidence in front of us and I love Spain as a country to visit, have met plenty of nice people there and abroad from Spain.

However I do not buy that this is limited to Spanish football fans, why would football fans in particular grow up racist? Do they just become racist through attending football and this never spreads to any other part of society? They are only racist during the 90 mins or what? It’s absolute poppycock to suggest it’s not part of a wider societal problem.

Yes that goes for Eastern Europe too, they are miles behind on these issues and still nice countries to visit too.

England is a shithole you can call it what you want.

So the part I wrote about other sports and other crowd attending events where players or musicians etc who are in a racial minority and are the prime focus doesn’t count to what I’m saying then?

Like I said I’m taking issue with the statement "disgusting country " when it was in reply to football fans being racist.
Some posters on here say some way off things, so should we tar the whole site with the same brush?

Is england a disgusting country because of the anti semitic and homophobic abuse some Chelsea and West Ham fans indulge in?

I don’t really get the point being made here. Football is fairly unique in terms of the mass chanting aspect, so obviously you don’t get racist chants aimed at members of an orchestra, because nobody is chanting anything at them in the first place.

The problem with the statement “football is the problem here” is that the levels of racist abuse suffered by footballers varies from country to country, so obviously there’s something more than just the sport in question at play. There might be something wrong with football culture here, sure, but there’s clearly more to it than just that alone.

Some West Ham and Chelsea fans do sing some vile stuff, as do some other fans, but I think it is clear that the levels of racist abuse in countries like England or Germany differs vastly from Italy or Spain, to use some big footballing nations as examples.

1 Like

It’s not a surprise to see a Napoli fan persuing the “few bad apples” style of argument here. I imagine you need that kind of cognitive dissonance.

1 Like

I’m getting everything you saying @JakeyBoy, the conversation is going off on a tangent, as I keep repeating myself I’m taking issue with the statement " Spain is a disgusting country ". Surely that’s not too hard to understand, my first reply to that statement was or I should have said, Spain really has got some racist football fans.

I agree with you on that point, I wouldn’t have said that. It was the bits I quoted that I disagreed with/wanted to discuss. But on the core point you’re making, agreed.

1 Like

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? I suppose it’s not a surprise for someone like yourself who sometimes comes across as a xenophobe who thinks it’s ok to make ignorant comments just because he thinks he’s safe because he’s a moderator. Va’ a cagare

2 Likes

We always get there in the end :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I understand @Jesseviolin viewpoint somewhat. It’s becoming more of a takedown on Spain/Italy than the issue of racism itself. England being a bit better doesn’t really mean much of anything tbh in my personal opinion.

La Liga needs to get a handle on this asap.

1 Like

I thought this was gonna be much worse than it was :see_no_evil:

I mean, I’ve been up close with Napoli’s travelling fans and they are vile. Violent, abusive and shouldn’t be anywhere near being allowed at European games.

I’d love to know where you got “xenophobe” from. Probably just from trying to throw as much bile as you can in a short space.

Lol I’m not that nasty I won’t stoop to a certain level

How about all the shit you throw towards Scotland or are you gonna stay it’s only a joke?

And you’re full of shit about Napoli you know nothing about the place or it’s people
And if you think Napoli fans are bad take a look at your own English fans abroad, everyone is in fear of them .

1 Like

“Your own”

It was cringey and embarrassing as an Arsenal fan to find a Napoli fan pretending to be some sort of follower of the club. Glad to see the real thing not far under the surface. Straight to the “what abouts” when your club is called out for what it is.

As for the very weak Scotland thing, you might be aware that Scotland and England are part of the same country.

1 Like

How the fuck are you allowed to have any responsibility on this site? You don’t know anything about me whatsoever to post your ignorant drivel,if you did you would know my footballing history.
I’ll ignore you from now on because you’re boring the fuck out of me

2 Likes

Ha. Thanks for confirming every impression I’ve ever had of Napoli fans.

1 Like