Kevin De Bruyne

Cesc at Barça was underrated; he adapted very well to very different tasks Pep asked of him, to fit into a squad where he just didn’t really have space, and his second season surely would’ve been remembered differently if their manager wasn’t Tata fucking Martino. Still, he was a creative force as ever when he played, and some of his combination play with Messi was fucking sumptuous.

Typically scapegoated for not ‘running enough’ or ‘giving it all’ or ‘carrying the team like a big signing should when needed’ when things went wrong, but Cesc didn’t suddenly drop level at Barça, he was still a fine player.

If you’re asking me which I’d rather watch, it’s Cesc, because there’s just something inspiring to us non-athletes to see such a mediocre athlete play so damn well, and be so fucking creative/genius, but if you’re asking who’s the better player at his peak I think KdB just edges it, simply because he can do everything, and things that Cesc can’t do physically.

2 Likes

Cesc is pretty much like a James Harden in NBA terms is what you’re getting at and I agree.

1 Like

It’s a bit apples and oranges. Cesc’s long passes and through balls are better than KDBs but KDB has the athleticism and shooting ability.

Statistically Cesc has a higher whoscored rating than KDB has ever managed in the PL. Cesc’s record goal contributions is 26 off 26 games, KDB’s is 25 off 25 games, both managed 24 goal contributions in other seasons, KDB twice.

Also Cesc was producing these numbers with worse teammates than KDB had. If Cesc had been feeding Aguero, Sterling, Mahrez instead of Adebeyour, Chamakh and Bendtner he’d have much better assist numbers. Cesc’s highest PL key pass average was 3.5 per game, compared to KDB’s 2.9 per game

3 Likes

:confused:

Except he played with, over his years at Arsenal:

Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, RVP, Rosicky, Nasri, Arshavin, Adebayor

Not doubting he played with some absolute shitters but it’s disingenuous to not include some of the worldies he did play with.

2 Likes

That is true, a largely declining Bergkamp and Pires by that stage but yeah.

If it’s only worldies we’re talking, your list would be a bit shorter, no? Rosicky, Arshavin, Adebayor, Nasri weren’t world class imo. Clearly pedantic of me (I embrace my true nature), but I do think they were good players, not world class.

He only got two seasons with Bergkamp and Pires (wonder how often him and Bergkamp got on the pitch together as well), two and a half with Henry effectively owing to Henry having big injury issues in his final season. Playing time with van Persie was severely limited due to injury.

Obviously fair play to name drop those players in this convo, you do have to recognise not everyone Fabregas played with for us was total shit, but I’d say Fabregas spent more of his time playing with average players/shitters than he did world class players, and vastly more time playing with shitters than KdB did. As KdB basically hasn’t spent any of his City career not playing with other world class players.

Think coatmaker is making a valid point here.

8 Likes

The “playing with good players” factor can be eliminated if you take the “chances created”, or even better, the “expected assist” stats. But I doubt it was calculated for Cesc’s seasons at Arsenal.

Another quantifiable way to compare them is checking their attributes in FIFA. I believe peak KDB is only behind Ronaldo and Messi, so there you go.

Personally I think KDB is the better player. His vision, long ball, crossing ability, and through ball are as good as Cesc. With Cesc there’s an artistic feel to the way he executes a pass, hence some people may have the impression that he is better at passing. But other categories, KDB is miles ahead.

Not aimed personally at you but this can fuck right off.

1 Like

Directly aimed at you personally, this can fuck right off.

2 Likes

The point I was making is that he chose to draw on two players who were never starters for Arsenal (Bendtner and Chamakh) when there were plenty of better examples of players he could have used.

I’m not actually arguing against his point because I don’t think Cesc had it easy in terms of personnel all the time at Arsenal (hence why the good ones all jumped ship).

It’s just stupid to use Bendtner and Chamakh as the examples when Cesc played extensively with much better players than those two.

1 Like

You’re stupid for calling Adebayor a fucking worldie.

What, come at me brah. Fuck with my boy coatmaker and you’re fucking with the whole squad

1 Like

What does this even mean :sweat_smile:?

Not asking you the question directly, I’m just using your quote for convenience.

It makes my skin crawl to say this but Adebayor’s name deserves a mention in the Arsenal players who never fulfilled their potential topic imo. If he wasn’t such a greedy cunt, as short as his peak was - he was an absolute baller in that 07-08 season. He could have been so much more.

Apologies for change in topic too btw :joy:

Mate can you do me a favour and stop stop asking me to continually explain simple statements to you please.

I thought so. It means nothing.

Cesc was a great player for us but stood out more because he was the best player in an average team.
KDB stands out in one of the best teams in Europe and playing alongside world class players.

As for Adebayor, another great player, but he stands out as the epitome of a mercenary player.
No loyalty to anyone but after he scores he will kiss the badge of the club that pays him the most.

2 Likes

Yeh mate exactly, it was a flippant throwaway comment about his athleticism. No great meaning behind it, kind of like of when you tell people to go suck their Dad’s dick.

Just one person. You do have a habit of throwing out some meaningless hyperboles, indeed.

Very good point.

KDB stands out at city and is almost always a cut above the rest despite their roster of talent. At their best he’s their best player and the same is true when they’re undercooked.

This season almost everyone has dropped off to some degree but there KDB is competing for player of the season yet again, he’s a ridiculous player and there’s few players I enjoy watching play more.

1 Like

And you have a habit of having complete meltdowns on a football forum like a lunatic child. Nobody is perfect huh.