Joe Willock

Will done, about the best outcome.

Also we can get some more money when he likely does really well and gets a big move.

See, this is why you respect Hale end

(I still reserve the right to be pissed about us losing him, because any competent coach doesn’t ruin Willock so we don’t have to sell before his value plummets).

Well this is something the club got right. Arteta got right and Willock got right.
Got rid of an average player for above average fee and he gets to stay in the prem.
For Willock see Iwobi at Everton. Levels.

13 Likes

This club has finally done something right! 25m plus addons and sell on clause is great business indeed

2 Likes

Good deal. Wish him well but never really cut it at Arsenal…let’s hope this moves fast and gets wrapped up this week.

Next up… Eddie Nketiah to Brighton

2 Likes

Iwobi was a 35m sale, AMN had a 20m bid that we should have taken, and Willock and Eddie potentially being sold for decent money this window. Saka and ESR staying for now because they’re good enough to give more chances to.

This would really be the academy doing a nice job and also us using it well. If we can make a 20m+ sale every summer of one of these players that we don’t need then that’s really going to help going forward.

10 Likes

Good for Joe, Newcastle and Arsenal. Also, does it seem like every time a player leaves Arsenal they’re taking a step up in their career?

1 Like

I think Joe is a weird case.

Iwobi was definitely not a step up.

Ox? Eh, hard to say because of injuries although I’m sure he doesn’t care given his trophy haul.

Theo? Not really.

Ramsey? Trophies but a mixed bag in Turin.

Emi? Let’s see how Villa play without Grealish.

Then you have the so-called “Shitters” like Ozil, Mustafi, Kola and Sokratis.

Joe is a player who plays a position that doesn’t exist in Coach Big Brain’s system. We don’t know how to use him, another team wants to pay a good amount of money for him and we sold him.

2 Likes

I’m thinking more recent loans and sales—Guendo, Saliba, Özil and Ramsey still ended up in a better situation than if he had stayed. Newcastle are no Arsenal but for Joe it’s a step forward in his career. More playtime and more money.

Ah that’s fair. I’m ready to grab my torch and pitchfork to march on the club every day of the week. Let’s see how this season goes down the ocean as we say in Maryland. I have really high expectations for the Marseille contingent.

1 Like

This is great news. Don’t care if it’s not 25 million and just 22, atleast we are close to selling him and making some money.

Just another 10 players to sell and then 4 to buy. Should only take us a decade at this rate. :arteta:

3 Likes

That is why you…

RESPECT HALE END

1 Like

Kind of in a round about way. I mean this kid went on a historic scoring run for a relegation threatened team all the while we struggled to score goals from the very position he plays which would have helped us massively. This is more an admission from the club that we don’t know what the fuck we are doing so let’s put Willocks development in the hands of someone who can help him. At the end of the day it’s 25m to improve the team so, it works out.

2 Likes

So Steve Bruce and Newcastle are better for his talent then and future development?
Come on.
Newcastle were the only team to show interest and that on the back end of goal scoring run.
Nobody on here ever stated or bigged up this kid at any level being some sort of box to box goal scoring player.
He’s not a technical player or have any great football brain or passing ability that Arteta or the club are overlooking.
We all have reservations on Arteta but selling this guy isn’t one of them for me.

4 Likes

I’d say yes

That’s interesting. Who would you say him or them last took to a decent level?

Don’t know but some players just gel with a manager.

Looks like Bruce knows how to get the best out of him

Yep have 30 % of the ball and give Willock the license to make forward runs and use his athleticism is the way to get the best out of him.

His lack of technical ability will always hold him back from being a viable option in a side who’s aspirations are to dictate play.

I disagree limited players like Pedro flourished in a very technical Barca side

1 Like

I think it’s harsh when people say Willock doesn’t have good technical ability. He’s good on the ball, I saw him at Newcastle and saw some really good moments where he was good in tight spaces.

At 21, he’s got an impressive blend of dynamism and on the ball abilities and it’s harsh when people overlook his ability on the ball and dismiss it. He’s good at beating players, he’s good at picking passes he just needs time to develop and consistent game time.

This was my take on Willock back in November after a few months of seeing him in action. I like him, I rate him and I think he has a good future in the PL.

Selling him now is the right thing to do, but I do like him. I think I remember thinking that he was average when he first broke out but he impressed me

1 Like