January Transfer window thread

Dunno, last year I was all for signing Benatia but we’re really stacking up with defenders over 30. I don’t think Benatia won’t ask a bump on his current wages to join us. Probably something over 100k.

Not sure how I feel about Benatia…he would be an upgrade on our current defenders and think he could form a good partnership with Sokratis, but he is 31 coming up to 32 and hasn’t had a great record in terms of injuries…

At the moment I would sooner us look to sign a younger CB of a similar quality. Kostas Manolas keeps being mentioned and linked to Utd, has a £32m release clause…surely we could compete with Utd, maybe agree to sell Ramsey in January for some cash to help with the Manolas fee…A Manolas, Sokratis and Mavropanos defence (if we keep playing 3-4-3) would be pretty good IMO.

The question is how much longer will Benatia be playing high level football for ?

Longer than Mustafi :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He is going to be 32 in 3 months.
As good as he is, we will end up stockpiling plenty of dross in our wage bill if we purchase Banegas and Benatias.

Are you happy with something? :rofl: :smile:

I assume you meant are you happy with anything ?

1 Like

Yeah, i see you are always grumpy :wink:. Good old Aussie.

1 Like

No.

When we went unbeaten. Aussie said it wasn’t good enough we had too many draws

1 Like

I actually did say we should have won the CL that season so it was somewhat of a shame, we were the best side in Europe.

2 Likes

Sounds like Adrian Durham

Lichesteiner imo will be debuchy mark 2 never trusted and horribly useless when given a chance. Meaning we are still looking for a back up rb next season.

If mustafi isn’t good enough then I don’t see what the point of Sokratis is.

Leno from the reports I’ve seen is the only person with two arms and two legs to let in my more goals than his expected average.

I don’t really see what these signings solve at all. Other then being bodies for us to scream abuse at when it turns out they are all average as fuck.

My verdict on our transfers last June lol. People on here desperate to add more players who perfectly fit the last point.

6 Likes

Yeah you’ve nailed it that’s for sure. I mean no matter what anybody says it wasn’t a great window it was one where we added more quantity than quality and was a disappointing one that’s for sure.

1 Like

The issue with Benatia is that he is another physical monster. He’s definitely not just that but his physical attributes have allowed hin to have the career he is having so far. At 32 in April, the likelihood of a big injury hitting him out of nowhere and significantly affecting his abilities is pretty big.

1 Like

Benatia is also another CB who has a big mistake in him. Just look at the penalty against Madrid in the CL. We already have enough defenders who are prone to self destructing. If we’re going to buy a new CB who’s prone to making a big mistake he should at least be young enough to make up for mistakes with athleticism or speed.

I like the idea of waving some money at Roma and seeing if they’d let Manolas walk. But it would be just our luck that after asset stripping their team over the last two windows that Monchi suddenly refuses to negotiate.

Honestly now, most CBs have a mistake in them. Hell, every player has a mistake in them. CB and GK mistakes though are way more noticeable as they’re the last line of defence. Elite players try to limit them but they’re gonna happen at some point.

Anw, speaking of Manolas. I genuinely wonder if people have watched the guy play and want him so much. Manolas to me is very much like Mustafi. He does have far superior physical skills but he can be very clumsy and braindead at times. Look at his disasterclass against Liverpool and Barca. And I’m talking defensively, don’t give a shit if you can score goals as a CB when you can’t defend.
Ramos was exposed at the World Cup and in the league when Ronaldo wasn’t there hiding his inability to defend properly.

I am still raging we didn’t get Manolas some years ago.

I agree Manolas is a bit brain dead at times but I think a couple seasons ago he looked like he would genuinely become a top CB one day but he’s certainly not looked that great under EDF.

2 Likes
1 Like