Jack Grealish

You’re crazy homes, Grealish ESR Saka would actually make me enjoy watching football again. The only way I could see him flopping would be if injuries got a hold of him.

Grealish is the type of player we should be targeting if we really want to build something over the next 3-5 years. Shame he’s probably already out of our reach.

7 Likes

I guess we’ll never know which of us is right then. :grin:

I prefer that to being proven right on this one tbh.

As much as I like him, I doubt he doesn’t flop wherever he goes.
That price tag will be hanging over his head. Media want him at a big club desperately, they will not stop talking about him when he moves. The pressure will be off the charts.

He’d be our best player.

If he’s getting it done at Villa then he’s getting it done here.

2 Likes

See above. We’ll never know. :slight_smile:

Well that’s not the spirit is it.

You know full well we’ll sign him after Chelsea let him go at 32.

9 Likes

People used to say he wouldn’t make the step up from the championship to the EPL, though he’s undisputably one of the best players in the league. He’s got that special talent and the right attitude, he’ll always be one of the best players on the pitch no matter who he plays for or at what level.

3 Likes

Hahaha touche!

How many players have moved for seriously big money and have actually been worth that?
We could probably count them with half a hand they’re so few.

Grealish will probably go for £100m or more if he goes in the immediate future. However talented you are that pressure collapses people.

I don’t think he’ll go for £100m in this climate tbh. At his age it honestly wouldn’t worry me one bit if we spent £70+m on him. It’s the same with Pepe yes people will go on ad naseum about the price tag but ultimately it won’t matter once he finds his feet.

Chelsea spent stupid money in summer on much worse players than Grealish, do you really think any of their fans will care should they win their second CL.

We need to be braver with the big money transfers, at 25 years of age you could easily make profit on Grealish as I have no doubt he has the right mentality to make the move up. Not that we’re even a big move up these days.

As for pressure we’re talking about a bloke who had an opposition fan run on to the pitch and punch him in the back of the head. He responded by winning the game. He’s made of exactly the right stuff and is genuinely the type of player we should be looking to build our brilliant youth generation around. He’d be a real leader here.

2 Likes

I don’t see any reason for Villa to sell him for that. Didn’t they quote clubs £80m last summer for him? One of them was us too. If anything he should be more expensive now.

Btw, when I’m talking about pressure I’m not only talking about pressure for the club you sign for. It’s the spotlight in general. Media will be all over him.

Btw, I’ve checked this list as part of this discussion. Pretty insane how most of these didn’t work out.

They can quote what they want but I don’t see this being a £100m type transfer. Perhaps if City didn’t have someone like Foden but the only reason I believe we might get Grealish is because there aren’t too many clubs looking for a player of his profile.

Maybe Liverpool should Mane or Salah move on. But even then I don’t see them paying above £60-70m

@Trion I was talking about Jack finding his feet, Pepe already balling.

I think that is true of our big signings.
Perez was a record signing for a striker, when Wenger bought them.
Then he wasted more than 120m on Xhaka, Mustafi and Lacazette.
We then saw Pepe for our record transfer fee.

But they all have something in common and that is none of them were proven in the PL.
Grealish has proved he is one of the best players in the PL and it’s no coincidence, since he’s been injured, that Aston Villa have dropped down the league.

He would walk in our first team and be our best player straight away and, unlike most of our players, he is a leader.

He has just signed a new contract that doesn’t expire until 2025. It’s arguable it isn’t worth then selling him for £100m. He guarantees they stay in the PL.

They’re also planning to spend big again as well don’t they? It’s clear they want to compete with the big boys. It’s gonna be Top 10 sooner than later and we’ll clinging on that too.:rofl:

Don’t fucking come Jack, you are going to be screwed here.

Joining Arsenal is not a step up of your career these days… it is a step down instead.

I remember saying something similar about Zaha that summer we went for Pepe. That Palace would be better cashing in and reinvesting.

I do think Jack is of a different mentality to Zaha but I still feel the same. If someone comes in and offers you £70m+ it’s hard to consider any one player more important than that. That goes double now in this Covid climate.

At 25 Villa can play hard ball with Grealish for a year or two but eventually that £70 million is going to start looking like an oasis as his value depletes.

70m for a top 2 rated PL player (according to whoscored). In the transfer market you aren’t going to get much for £70m close to the impact Grealish makes for Villa. He’s arguably playing at a higher level than Sancho who Dortmund turned down 90m for.

2 Likes

That’s not really a fair comparison though, BVB have an abundance of riches and can pick and choose who and when they sell. Villa might not have player in their camps that could command £50m+ with in the next decade.

Villa will play smart and say £100m type figures but you know they’d be willing to come to the table for real offers of the £60-80m range. That is if they aren’t silly.

Also Sancho 4 years younger than Grealish which plays a massive part too. Does Grealish want to be at Villa when he’s 27/28. I’d doubt it, that’s power for the buying club.

1 Like