Investments (Stonks)

To be very honest, these things are hard to tell. I follow the news regarding the financial markets every day and I can tell you. So called analysts have been wrong so many times about how the S&P will perform or how certain stocks will do. I have learnt to take it all with a grain of salt and realise everyone out there, in the media too, are in it for themselves and to drive stuff up or down.

As it stands now. I certainly think the S&P 500 will have a better year than last year. The signs are there since the start of the year. Most stocks have climbed. According to various sources we have averted a recession (for now) and the biggest economies are showing growth (except the UK L O L).

The FED changed its direction too, which is always a catalyst in either direction for stocks. In this case I see it affect the share price of most stocks in a positive manner.

However, even if it is a worse year, let’s say. For those wanting to jump in. Those are the times you should consider jumping in. Too many people don’t put any money in when stuff is low and then start investing when stuff already climbed way too much.

1 Like

Yeah true.

Tesla flying again today @Forever, 7.2% up as wee speak :rofl:

1 Like

Yep almost 80% in a month :slight_smile:

I DCAd all the way down so kinda happy at the moment

https://www.investors.com/market-trend/stock-market-today/dow-jones-futures-fall-200-points-tesla-stock-rallies-on-musk-verdict-twitter-comments/

@BergkampsLoveChild :money_with_wings:

1 Like

Invested some money in Tesla recently.

Feel good :relaxed:

1 Like

Join the club :handshake:

1 Like

Not just the best selling EV, but vehicle in general. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile Tesla is up 86% in one month time.

NYT was publishing negative pieces on Tesla and Musk every week, including that woman you shared @KITN :sweat_smile:

They can try but they can’t stop Tesla. :slight_smile:

I bought more shares all the way down to 110 (it was 108 lowest), now back to 201.

The potential of Tesla is tremendous. As I have laid out arguments for this many times and colour me surprised it bounced back so well so fast.

I have bookmarked a post somewhere to pull in 2030 and see if @JakeyBoy or I was right about Tesla. At this rate it might be a few years sooner than 2030 :slight_smile:

Sorry, what claims have I made about Tesla?

Don’t know, but you bookmarked it too. :slight_smile:
So we pull it up for a reason in 10 years time. So far it is looking good.

Here is the post about us bookmarking:

Ok, well theres no opportunity for an “I told you so” or “let’s see who is right”, because I didnt make any claim there.

You made a claim and said we could bookmark the post and return in ten years to see if you were right, I humourously added a bookmark, as per your post.

I didn’t claim that you were wrong or your stock would be worth less in ten years time.

That’s fair enough. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m curious if you have any other stocks at all @Forever or just riding Tesla til the death :joy:

I had many different stocks but as I pointed out previously in this thread I have sold most of it and put it into Tesla. So far it has done well. I buy Tesla shares every week, especially when it went down in the second half of '22.

Such is my conviction in the stock and its potential for the next decade I think is tremendous, not just as a carmaker dominating the EV space with tremendous growth opportunity. Also in AI (autonomous), solar energy, software related progress and battery tech they are far and beyond their competition at this point in time.

I am now investing a little into the AI related companies (which Tesla is also related to). Such as Nvidia, AMD, ASML and Microsoft after they acquired OpenAI. But by far my largest holding is Tesla.

Which shares do you own?

3 Likes

Getting back into it again recently but sold a lot of my holdings last year as well, haven’t jumped back in to too many yet as took a long break from it all.

Biggest long term holding is Palantir, I have gotten a bit less convinced on them given the continuous stock issues and rising costs of revenue but I’m convinced long term they’ll be a huge player in the AI and data analytics world. Just partnered with Microsoft which should help them get their software out there much quicker. The numbers need to start turning around though.

Got a few other recent purchases such as Amazon which I noticed were beat down bad and just taking the recovery play on those.

I tend to do more short term moves than long term holdings. I made the mistake years ago of sinking too much into ‘long term holds’ I was convinced on but then ended up missing a load of obvious plays as my capital was tied up. Now takes a lot for me to play the long game in a stock.

I think you’re focused on good markets, I have a couple of battery plays and agree with the market trends you’re looking at. I’m still hoping all my crypto miners will bounce back (bitf, Canaan, Mara) - mini resurgence recently.

1 Like

I’ve got a nice stash of Nvidia, bought pre covid for less than a quarter of what it’s worth right now, holding longterm, even with the price crash its still laughing.

Like you keep chucking money at Tesla, but think my next moves are going to start focusing on lithium recycling, although thing that might also be another long term strategy due to the lack of EV car batteries being recycled just yet, has the potential to be big though given the difficulties mining lithium. Then clean energy/AI and some pharma.

1 Like

Nvidia is one that makes me angry, I completely missed the boat on it despite being convinced it was a good investment.

Oh and my favourite long term holding that loves to teeter around doing nothing much atm - Luna Innovations. The only space related play I’m still holding (although Palantir is somewhat in that area too). With the space race going on I thought they seemed really well positioned to take advantage as they can supply a lot of the optical technology.

2 Likes

I get it regarding long term, but I just don’t have the patience and nerves to do short term investing. I figured it’s best for me to just buy steadily and DCA - for Tesla it played out really well so far, which is part of why I am so amped about them. The latest recovery is crazy fast in my opinion. Further cementing my belief in them as a good investment, but even if it stayed down longer, I am not worried, because the entire market took a beating last year.

I monitor most markets and I just see much more movement and gains being made in progressive areas such as AI, battery tech, EV and also in tech in general (chips / logistics for components).

A while ago I showed the progress of traditional carmaker stock, it is basically flat for years, whereas EVs are a parabolic curve. ICE legacy automakers will be doomed, with a few exceptions. Whether people like it or not, we are moving away from fossil fuel, surely and steadily.

1 Like

Pharma is another good shout. People have made silly money if you had bought Moderna at the start of covid.

1 Like

Astra is something I held for a bit, another Space related company, but then they had some failed launches and I decided to pull out with a small loss and put it into Tesla which by now recouped my loss and then some