Ian Wright

Wright getting in on the act of taking the piss out the club. Not gone down well in the replies :grin:

One thing I will say about MotD is they’ll readily take the piss out of Arsenal (Lineker did it with Wenger years ago) but they’re shit scared doing it with other clubs

7 Likes

Yep, that smug bastard always happy for us to be the butt of his jokes :grin:

3 Likes

Might be the only player I’d have on the back of a shirt. Wrighty and maybe Cazorla.

What about Ian Ure’s name on the back of an Arsenal top?

Fewer letters. Bound to be cheaper. Has the same first name as Wrighty, too, so you’ve won half the battle.

1 Like

Speaking of which, I’ve got a delivery coming this week that you might like. I’ll post some pictures when it gets here :grin:

1 Like

I like it when Wright uses the word “we” when he talks about Arsenal.
Real class.

2 Likes
6 Likes

I hate that jug eared crisp peddling twot

1 Like

It’s crazy the wealth of striking talent England had in the 90s. Shearer, Wright, Cole, Owen, Sheringham and I’m no doubt missing a few obvious ones too.

Wright was so good.

2 Likes

Les Ferdinand and Robbie Fowler probably deserving of a shout too. Perhaps Beardsley too? I’m not sure if he was a centre forward as such or the guy who tucked in behind the main striker, but I’m pretty sure he played as one of the 2 up front in a 442.

But even beyond that you’ve got players like Kevin Phillips, Le Tiss (deffo not a CF but one of the two up top?), Collymore, Dion Dublin who weren’t necessarily top/international class but were still solid top flight strikers/forwards.

1 Like

Collymore should/could of been so good.

5 Likes

Yep, thats what I most commonly hear about him, after his woman beating activities of course.

How can I forget about Les and Fowler haha. I knew I was missing some obvious ones.

1 Like

Robbie Fowler was brilliant, such a classy player to watch. Beautiful left foot he had, scored all sorts of goals. IIRC injuries really disrupted his career and he never reached the heights of those early years.

Collymore was a good footballer too, although he had a pretty deluded opinion of himself. When he had a show on talksport (which was pretty decent value tbf, he was a really interesting broadcaster) I remember him saying he was one of the top 2 players in the world at one point. He got loads of shit for that lol

Collymore had so many gifts to be world class with the right work ethic.

1 Like

That’s crazy :grin:

He was incredible for Forest in their promotion season and their first season in the top flight (finished 3rd, and he scored a blinder at Old Tartford with Forest winning 1-2)

I think he would have realised that dream of being in the top 2 strikers had he moved to Man United. I’d even argue that had he moved to Newcastle in the summer of 1995, the Barcodes win the league the following season.

He had the ability to be the best English striker but not the drive to do it. If Collymore trained as hard as Shearer he’d be a level or 2 above him.

2 Likes

I always though Les Ferdinand was so overrated .
Certainly not in Wrighty’s league

2 Likes