Ian Wright

Collymore could have been a phenomenal striker but sadly he falls into the ‘could have been’ team .

3 Likes

Limited but effective goalscorer in his QPR and Newcastle days. Him and Shearer were on fire together for about a year

1 Like

Classy finisher but not prolific for me. Had a great time at Newcastle for a bit. Luxury striker but not a poacher.

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to Wrightys autobiography on audiobook and it’s a brilliant listen, would definitely recommend.

There’s a weird thing I’ve noticed though, nearly every time he mentions David Seaman he says ‘The Goalie’ instead of his name. I wonder if it’s just a striker thing to say the goalie instead of naming them…or did anyone ever hear anything about a beef between the two of them?

I’m sure I read somewhere that it was just out of respect. Wrighty thought that Seaman was the best of all time, so in his words, he was “THE Goalie”
They are actually very good mates, they do a lot of fishing together.

2 Likes

Excellent. Thanks Johnny :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

Imagine if Wrighty was a kid now coming from a broken background.
Nobody too take him to an academy for training. Even if he did with a fiery temper he’d probably get turfed out.
Must be loads get missed because of this system.

9 Likes

He talks a bit about this in his book. Youth production is nearly a factory system now. I’d say the amount of people who genuinely care about the kids in it is tiny. I watch what Rovers have going on in their youth system and it’s got all the professionalism but all the heart too.

3 Likes

Obviously this clashes with the game but I heard him discussing this on his podcast and it sounds like a really powerful piece of television.

4 Likes

Going to be on bbc iplayer so will watch it after the game or tomorrow maybe. Didn’t even know about this programme thanks for that Sham :+1:t4:

1 Like

Wrighty is the spirit of this club man.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I wish I was ten years older so I could have witnessed Wrighty at his Arsenal peak.

9 Likes

It’s very hard to express as a paying fan how much the man and player became and still are entwined with some of us an embodiment of the club.
Henry,Bergkamp, Pires etc would be deemed more complete and better players but Wrighty was/is so much more than that.
I always wish he was part of 89 or 91 sides for us.

8 Likes

If I was thinking of an embodiment of the club, Wrighty would be right up there.

I’d say George Graham first, though. Then perhaps Wright, then Adams (even though he isn’t as vocal about the club since he left, he’s Mr Arsenal)

Bergkamp and Henry deserve honourable mentions in this discussion. They identify themselves more with Arsenal than any other club in their career.

3 Likes

You can’t manage tottenham and remain the embodiment of being Arsenal. Just doesn’t work that way. Nothing against him but GG is disqualified from that discussion for me.

6 Likes

Wish I saw wrighty at Arsenal. Luckily enough I had Henry and Co but Wright feels like he just understood the club.

Disagree. He’s done so much for this club that we look and rise above it

2 Likes

Nope.