Howard Webb and his Cabal of Cunts

What a clown. :clown_face:

3 Likes

ā€˜Burnley became very smart about foulsā€™

Well yeah, when the refs continually let you off with them itā€™s pretty easy to be ā€˜smartā€™ at fouling. Dumbass.

8 Likes

Two things in didnt think i would see in the same sentence.

2 Likes

If all it took to avoid calls going against you was to ā€œbecome smart about foulsā€ wouldnā€™t every side do it?

Iā€™m not a huge subscriber to the theory that refs are actively and disproportionately bias against certain teams, but I think the logic of the above arguments is far too simplistic. Youā€™d need a much deeper and more comprehensive dataset to make any kind of conclusions such as those above.

2 Likes

He is responding to a question about why Burnley get fewer reds than Arsenal, and I do think part of the answer could be Burnley being smarter about how they foul, e.g. making lots of small, cynical, niggly fouls that break up their opponents flow but individually donā€™t meet the threshold for either yellow or red cards. Basically, avoiding doing things like kicking your opponents fully flush in the abdomen with your studs when they are through on goal like Xhaka did vs Liverpool.

So Burnley could be a dirtier side in terms of the tactics they employ than we are, but still end up with fewer red cards because they are so calculated and cynical in their fouling, avoiding doing dumb, reckless shit that often warrants a red card.

A bit like how van Bommell was a right snidey cunt but very rarely got yellow or red cards, whereas a hothead like Vieira got loads, often for losing his rag and getting drawn into shit. Van Bommell was easily a more cynical, fouly player than Vieira, but he was smart about it and even tempered.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t see this part in the Twitter thread but it makes a bit more sense and I agree with the rest of what you have said too.

I would like to see some more comprehensive data to back up some of the claims Delaney makes though e.g. what data supports the Man United comment about teams being more panicky in their box vs teams level of panic against sides that arenā€™t Man United.

As I said above, Iā€™m not a fan of the idea refs are specifically and actively bias so Iā€™m obviously open to data being presented that evidences this.

2 Likes

A northern team, playing as underdogs every game, being referreed by mainly northern refs. Surprise surprise :upside_down_face:

Yeah. They got relegated. Some conspiracy that.

6 Likes

Couldnā€™t even stay up with 12 men on the pitch :grin:

Yeah see the spurs penalty win against them for confirmation.

Vardy is a beast at making things like look like huge contact, watching it in real time I was sure Ramsdale challenged him as opposed to pulling out.

1 Like

Harry Kane and Son

All day long

they always do this after the fact when the results are set and nothing can be doneā€¦bunch of corrupt scumbags. They act like it wasnā€™t something they couldnā€™t rule on easily even when blatant and they are like ā€˜yeah i made a mistake with thatā€™ nah man how can make a ā€˜mistakeā€™ with this it is so in your face.

They almost never do it.

i mean on the odd occasion that they admit to something it comes waaaaaay after the match is gone and results are final. I suppose anyway if they donā€™t call these the first time round the match would be gone anyway. I canā€™t see how they can ā€˜missā€™ things like this it is right there there isnā€™t much that can be said against it.

2 Likes

Yea thatā€™s it. Theyā€™ve like a minute maybe two to get to right and then the chance is gone. Iā€™d rather they admitted it like this when they get if wrong than not though.

1 Like

Pulling his hair was as clear and obvious as it gets, if in one replay you cannot see that is an obvious red card, then you are in the wrong job. The apologogy a week later pacifies some people but itā€™s hollow and doesnā€™t make him any less incompetent

5 Likes

Of course itā€™s Mike Dean.

Nope itā€™s not about that at all. I literally just prefer it when people hold their hands up to mistakes they make. The issue here is there is no mechanism to now ā€œcorrect the recordā€ and retrospectively apply the ban that should have occured. You can never correct the in game situation and that sucks but the way things are now the player just gets away with it. Worst of both worlds.

4 Likes