How much are you looking forward to the new season?

It’s really sad after finishing 2nd that personally I’m not feeling overly enthused about the prospects of perhaps winning the Premier League. The business done by clubs around Arsenal have been planned and done, with potentially a few more signings for those clubs.

Arsenal and Wenger have spun shit in the faces of Gooners all over again, hyped everyone up with Xhaka then crapped the bed on getting a striker. It’s getting so annoying about not signing a striker that I’m willing to settle for Berahino, Diafra Sakho, Will Grigg, or even bring back Bendtner. Kidding but you get the point.

Options are out there, Wenger doesn’t want to spend 30-60 million on a top class striker then you should’ve bought a striker a few years back when you could’ve got them for 20-40mil.

Can’t wait to hear in 2019 “I almost signed Aubameyang in 2016”

Fucking joke.

7 Likes

Towards the end of last season I found it very difficult to care and to be honest I still feel that way about the new season which I think will be roughly the same as last.

3 Likes

Finishing 2nd last season didn’t mean shit though so of course its nothing to get excited about. The season was an anomaly for the Likes of Chelsea and Citeh, we had our chance and finished 10 points behind the almighty foxes.

Mate, I’m a season ticket holder and was there at the Emirates for the last game of the season and it did mean something finishing above Spurs…We absolutely should have won the league last season, I completely agree about that and put the blame on the players and not Wenger for not delivering us the title…we lost the league against Man Utd away and Swansea at home and never recovered from those two fixtures. Looking forward to the new season and taking up my seat again in the stands…weekends aren’t the same when I’m not at the Emirates…

4 Likes

Okay didn’t mean shit is probably the wrong way of wording it as coming above spurs is always important, but coming 2nd last season was in no way a sign of progression or sign that we are getting closer to winning this league title. If we preform at the level of last season this season I’m sure it will only fetch us 4th or 5th.

Completely apathetic to it.

Having football back will be decent again, but it is becoming less and less like the sport I fell in love with. (Utter fraudulent talentless bastards going for crazy crazy prices - the money situation has conpletely gotten out of hand, and the sport needs reining in. The bubble will burst at some point)

Tbh main reason i keep up with it now is habit and cos of the banter on here.

In saying that, you would still expect Arsenal as a football club involved in this game to at least attempt to do the best they can, but since they can’t be bothered, neither can I.

3 Likes

There are things that fifa could do considering it is getting out of control. For one they could have a salary cap similar to the NBA. Every team has a certain amount to spend and if they go over they are taxed heavily. This was done basically to try and curb the Lakers dominance. It just makes talent evaluation all that more importand and under this system clubs like Dortmund, Leciester, and Southampton, would dominate.

I’m not in favor because it would massively handicap Arsenal, just like it did the Lakers. It would solve the issue of the market being so insane and the rich getting richer though.

I’d rather clubs like Ajax, Celtic, Dortmund, Marseille etc are able to compete again due to being smart and bringing talent through than this superficial system of PSG, City, Real etc domination die to having the biggest coffers.

And Arsenal would not be penalised for being able to build teams on budgets, Wenger is famed for that.

Tbh for me, it doesn’t matter if it works for Arsenal, because it isn’t working for football as a sport.

7 Likes

Clubs are not affiliated to FIFA so no, they couldnt do what you’re suggesting.

Not feeling good, not before the transfer window closes. We had a small squad last season, and some useless players, now we have smaller squad with the useless players and we didn’t do anything about so far, one signing replacing 3 departures is not enough for me.

It’s just a whole mess in total. The club should have done more in the past years to slowly build a team to compete, but they didn’t and relied on players who didn’t improve in any way for the fans to have confidence for a whole season. Someone at Arsenal made a huge mistake on judging the situation wrong and now that prices have shot through the roof we’re not in anyway in a better situation than we would have been 2-3 years ago. It’s arguably even worse with money that isn’t as much worth as it was back then.

2 Likes

Just cannot wait for the new season to start so I can see Takuma Asano and Rob Holding in action. Those two are potential superstars and we will get to see them transform into players that will take the league by storm. :sanchez2:

Am afraid, this season is going to be even more frustrating than the last one because it’s going to be another year of the same old shit that Arsene & his team will dish out, another summer where we didn’t do enough, another season where we will have to rely on mediocre players to do the business. We have a deluded old man at the helm and a bunch of businessmen in the board. Arsene Wenger has done a full circle with this club, taking us from the verge of greatness to greatness and back again, but now we are in danger of becoming a joke, like Tottenham. Actually, we probably already are a joke cause everyone knows even before a ball has been kicked this season that we are only in it for top 4.

The only bit of news that will excite me going forward is the news that Arsene is on his way out. Have had enough of him honestly. So, in summary, am not looking forward to this season cause all I will be doing is looking backward at all the seasons gone by cause nothing is going to change.

1 Like

[quote=“Electrifying, post:46, topic:378”]
Tbh main reason i keep up with it now is habit and cos of the banter on here.
[/quote]Without going all Wengery, but we have such great spirit and closeness on here, like a team. Now if only we (the OA community) had the ability to play Football like superstars, we’d be perfect as THE Arsenal team :ozil2:

I’m definitely at a 3 right now. With all the negativity surrounding the (lack of) transfers and the general lousiness of current events it’s hard to get hyped about the new season.

There’s such a feeling of staleness on the playing side of the club it’s hard to see where the new ideas are going to come from…and I do believe we need new ideas.

Wenger is such a dick. Look at what he’s done to us; completely squashed our spirit and love of football. Poor JakeyBoy is about to beat up an old lady, Leps just doesn’t give a fuck at all anymore. The old cocksucker has pitted fan v fan, he blames fans for team issues and for having goals of winning things, and trolls us every match at the 70th minute.

This thread is a testament of the fans for why Wenger needs to gtfo. If you read this thread and are still thinking Wenger is the man for the job I’m going to have to say that you are a person that is AGAINST Arsenal. Don’t be that asshole.

7 Likes

[quote=“morrisc311, post:55, topic:378”]
This thread is a testament of the fans for why Wenger needs to gtfo. If you read this thread and are still thinking Wenger is the man for the job I’m going to have to say that you are a person that is AGAINST Arsenal. Don’t be that asshole.
[/quote]It reminds me of the thread I made last season, “Will you watch the rest of the season?”. In my 20 years of supporting the club I’ve never seen such low levelled confidence and total lack of excitement around the club from the fans, as well as such a divide. It doesn’t feel right at all.

The fans are getting punished for sticking by this stale state of affairs and seemingly nothing new on the horizon.

1 Like

[quote=“Mysty, post:56, topic:378, full:true”]

It is Wengers fault 100%. The fans don’t deserve him for how they’ve turned on him. He gave them an immense amount of success and now they feel entitled. Something definitely changed after the emirates move I don’t know what it was, but if not for Wenger let’s be honest, Morris would be on red cafe bitching about LVG right now.

Oh I didn’t know that. So there isn’t a governing body that oversees all european club football? Uefa? Obviously if it were up to each individual FA it won’t ever happen.

UEFA could do so, but I don’t really see the point in a salary cap though. Clubs generate so much money these days that it would be either redirected to transfer fees or straight to the owner, making it an investment more than actually running a football club (I really don’t get that part about US sport). Also it’s a bit of a misconception that the mentioned clubs would be able to keep hold of their talent. They’d just switch their attention to historically bigger clubs or cities they’d rather want to live in, instead of making it a money decision.[quote=“Arsenal4thetreble, post:57, topic:378”]
It is Wengers fault 100%. The fans don’t deserve him for how they’ve turned on him. He gave them an immense amount of success and now they feel entitled. Something definitely changed after the emirates move I don’t know what it was, but if not for Wenger let’s be honest, Morris would be on red cafe bitching about LVG right now.
[/quote]

meh, I don’t know what this deserved argument is all about. Football clubs these days need a change once everything’s gone stale and so the argument should be about if Wenger actually makes the most of what is given to him. Arsenal’s in a prime position to do good business, but somewhat falls flat on fronts that would take the club to a higher level…

Yep the clubs are linked to UEFA but obviously thats only European clubs so the Chinese and MLS clubs could still be paying their ridiculous wages and would become more attractive so UEFA isn’t going to impose something that potentially puts it’s members (and ultimately it’s own CL profits) at a disadvantage. It would also possibly be against EU law to have such a cap.

It’s just never going to happen.