Houssem Aouar

He is a tough negotiator but his hand is very weak on this transfer. Aouar likely has planned to leave this window for a long time and the club probably has at least tacitly agreed with the player that this can happen. Jeff has been a pain in the ass about playing time and either him or Aouar probably needs to leave to resolve that situation. More importantly, Lyon are in really bad financial shape due to the combination of Covid and missing Europe completely. They really need to generate a lot of sale revenue this window. Depayā€™s sale to Barca is uncertain and he wonā€™t generate more than 30m if it happens. Nobody seems to be in for Moussa Dembele. Aouar is the player that makes sense to sell on multiple levels.

My guess is that we will go back and forth and then in the last week of the window it will happen for around 50m euro, perhaps part of that being add ons.

1 Like
  1. Heā€™s their Wilshere, he was at their youth system since he was 10 and is their captain

2. Lyon have been making Ā£30-40m profit every season for years

3. Theyā€™re still currently suing Ligue 1 for like Ā£100m for ending the league early/ruining their CL bid

Lyon produce so many players through their youth academy that Aouar isnā€™t really special in that regard. Laca, Fekir, Martial, Tolisso, Umtiti, Benzema, now Cherki and Caqueret. All of them joined between ages 7-12 and rose through the academy. And then they all eventually are sold.

I donā€™t know about their past profits but I donā€™t think anybody gives that lawsuit much chance of success.

There were reports of Lyon being broke and not having money to pay the installments of their past transfers around April/May.
Aulas pretty much confirmed theyā€™re in a bad financial situation.
The Depay deal being on hold surely improves our chances.
Lyon better get that Aouar money and stop being greedy.
They were asking for ā‚¬40m before the UCL restarted, and a couple of good performances in the Champions League shouldnā€™t bump that by ā‚¬20m, lol.
In fact, I remember that was price being mentioned before COVID too.

1 Like

yeah ofc but all of them who were crisp at the time went for big money (Fekir case is weird), and he is still their product and captain.

Iā€™m not saying it wonā€™t happen, just that you made it sound like theyā€™ll throw him away for peanuts because theyā€™re desperate and Iā€™m arguing probably not that desperate.

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t mind taking a flyer on him too. Looked handy in the CL.

1 Like

A wee bit apprehensive. Lyon have form in selling us bums for big money.

But Iā€™m now all in on the hype.

His lack of end product worries me a little. But in terms of dribbling heā€™s top top class

Still pretty young, time for it to improve.

1 Like

So heā€™s a more expensive version of Gervinho? :grinning:

1 Like

No, thatā€™s Pepe

Itā€™s off.

Im sorry, but dont be a fraud. The bloke said ā€œNo I donā€™t think soā€ regarding us signing Houssem. Calling it off is way too early still.

3 Likes

Aulas would never say publically that a club is close to signing one of his players, hell he wonā€™t even say it when itā€™s all done and dusted.

1 Like

The asking price is too high. Heā€™ll be at Lyon till his contract runs out or Lyon accept a more realistic price for this unknown player.

Lyon are a selling club they were probably thrilled they got so far in the CL so they could make more money in the transfer window. Weā€™ll get him if we put up a decent price.

1 Like

ā‚¬50m and we get him.

Aulas said literally exactly the same thing about Lacazette before he sold him to us.

1 Like

Aulas is such a blowhard heā€™ll be denying the sale after Aouar is playing a match for Arsenal.

That being said, I am losing faith that Arsenal will be able to sign any midfielder due to the lack of sales. The Partey thing always seemed a little like Raulā€™s pet project anyway and I could see Aulas holding out for more money and Arsenal walking away.

1 Like

Gutted I didnā€™t think of this one myself, so silly :joy:

15 Likes

As a fanbase, we are absolutely fekd :arteta: