Houssem Aouar

I understand he got the Partey transfer spot on, but if he’s calling him Hossem Anwar how do you expect me to believe him

1 Like

I miss Gravesen. magic baller and a meathead too. Lethal Combo. Cant believe he was part of the famous galactico side :smiley:

2 Likes

Nah in the Arabic it’s written Aouar. I showed it to my friend, to translate for me. Might be a mistake in the translation.

1 Like

The translation does seem buggy. Was the same with Partey.

1 Like

£50m dropped on another player that won’t fix what’s wrong with us.

Yay

3 Likes

Guess you can’t please everybody

Feels like we’re about to get rinsed again.

3 Likes

I was in favor of the transfer this summer, even over Partey because of the age profile and my belief that a stopper could be found elsewhere for cheaper.

But now that we’ve seen Arteta’s “tactics” I’m not sure spending 50m or 100m or 250m on a single creative player will help. I don’t think Arteta believes in free flowing expression. Obviously you can win other ways but if that’s the case, why waste the money?

6 Likes

I agree.
The money we would spend on a player like this would be better spent on a decent manager that could then get the best out of Pepe, Willian and even Lacazette.

Look how players like Walcott, Ward Prowse and Ings at Southampton and Calvert Lewin at Everton have seen their game transformed by top managers like Hasenhuttl and Ancelotti.

Aouar would be wasted under Arteta.
He’s proved that with his handling of Aubameyang, Pepe and Willian.

1 Like

We really needed to sign Aouar or a player with similar profile in the summer. This was arguably the biggest fuckup that Arteta/Edu have made. After exiling Ozil, they went into the season with exactly zero players on the roster who were ready to contribute and could play as the 10 or most creative 8. Signing Partey was great but he is an improvement on bad players at positions that were already filled. This is a case of not having anybody at all in the position, still signing nobody, and assuming you were enough of a tactical genius that your team could play only down the wings and still score goals. Fucking stupid.

I don’t care if Arteta is in charge - keep signing better players to give whomever takes the reigns a better squad to inherit.

If our next coach inherits a midfield of Aouar, Partey then that’s a great building block for any coach.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s a fair point bro.

Crazy to think that we actually have a good team of players yet were 15th in the league.

Leno, Gabriel, Tierney, Saliba, AMN, Partey, Saka, Pepe, Auba, Martinelli and potentially Aouar. No way should a team like that not be in the top four.

3 Likes

Partey was absolutely a correct signing.

The problem is Arteta shouldn’t be backed with anymore money, sick of this chequebook manager philosophy, how about he earns getting money to spend on more players by showing something. Given this squad has his handprints everywhere and it sucks.

3 Likes

Huge window for Arteta to be honest, he made a school boy error by keeping Xhaka/Elneny/Holding/AMN in summer, everyone and their cat knew he’d get burned by some of those players, especially Xhaka and surprise surprise he got burned.

Needs to start the rebuild in January now, Aouar isn’t a bad start and I certainly wouldn’t mind Buendia either. Not so much because I super rate them or anything it’s just a profile of player we desperately need. Partey coming back will be like a new signing but we need a creative or two to really catalyse any sort of resurgence. Though in my heart I know that outgoings are more important than anything.

Feb 1, comes and we’re sitting looking at a team sheet with Xhaka, Elneny et al then I’ll firmly be part of ASS.

1 Like

Absolutely, this is not said enough.

2 Likes

Giving him til February is optimistic. He’s shit the bed pretty hard already and we have some tough fixtures coming up fast. I’m afraid unless we have some drastic turn of form the man won’t survive to see February.

@RockyMaivia problem is he hasn’t warranted being backed financially. From a business standpoint giving Arteta money is an obvious bad investment.

3 Likes

That’s true but @SRCJJ made a good point yesterday that it’s better for the overall squad to add better players. We have the foundations for a very good team already and adding Aouar will only improve on that. Will make things easier for a proper manager that comes in after Arteta. If they do ever sack him that is.

Do you worry that we’d still just be assembling a squad with no overall vision?

What if the next manager wants to play a 4-4-2? We’ll all be on here lamenting the fact the squad doesn’t fit what he needs.

We still don’t have a coherent plan and the squad reflects that.

Giroud’s not good enough? Buy Lacazette instead of Aubameyang.

Lacazette’s not good enough? Go back for Aubameyang.

Miss top four? Buy some old defenders with an eye toward sneaking in through the EL.

Emery wants to play with Zaha? Buy Pepe.

Arteta’s hired to do a rebuild? Integrates young guys until he does a 180, extended Luiz, signs Cedric and Willian while destroying Guendouzi’s market value.

As much as I like a silky smooth creative player and as much as I’d want to just hoard talent like some sort of dragon sitting on gold, we don’t have the money or the structure to do that right now. If we bring in a real DoF, not Raul’s bagman, who decides we’re going to be a 4-3-3 pressing team (or insert your football/soccer philosophy here), then I think we can start stockpiling talent. Because it won’t matter if the coach gets fired, we’ll look for a guy with similar playing beliefs.

6 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Who’s topping the list then?