Gabriel Jesus (9)

Because it’s not a great take, early in the season Tomiyasu was an insane asset on that right side.

He’s entirely under-rated in attack and one of the most fluid goals we scored all season happened because of him. He’s two footed as fuck and quicker than people give him credit for.

Most important of all however is his height, he essentially becomes a 3rd CB when we’re under siege and wins everything in the air.

We missed Tomiyasu way more than we missed Tierney.

3 Likes

As if anyone is gonna pay a 25m loan fee for Lukaku. Or fucking anybody.

1 Like

I love Tomiyasu defensively in the air and I do enjoy his potential versatility etc. Not saying I don’t rate at all, just don’t believe he is as good or his ceiling is high as most Arsenal fans think.

1 Like

The lad is 23 though, there’s tons of potential there, I get the appeal that he has the prospect of being a utility player but honestly he’s far too good on the ball and going forward to want him at CB all the time. He’s actually very clever on the ball too, something he doesn’t get enough credit for.

He was raw coming back from injury but there’s a real talent there, and an athlete.

Honestly he’s the first RB in fucking ages at the club that’s I’ve really thought a lot of. We’ve had so many duds and donkeys, even the highly rated ones like Sagna were completely brain dead and overrated, useless in attack.

Tomiyasu is a creative athlete, I’d sell Tierney tomorrow but I’d be really gutted to lose Tomiyasu.

3 Likes

Last summer was funny in retrospect. I saw a lot people lauding the Lukaku transfer as great while they obviously were at the same time ragging on the signing of Ramsdale, for example. Happy I thought the Lukaku transfer was a dumb move at the time, maybe fishy (financial chicanery, who knows), was right.

July 2017, BigWeng got nothing on me

3 Likes

Say what you see. Good player to have but I’d like better starting at RB.

1 Like

The markets poor though man, who you putting in there?

I know you’re better than the “ain’t my job” crew lol

I haven’t got a name off the top of my head. Bit like nobody came up with this lad when cover was needed.
Bit like if Tierney went now everyone would just say Hickey because his name been mentioned for a few weeks.
I don’t think he’s quick enough but it’s not our biggest problem but for me he’s a CB playing RB.

4 Likes

Don’t worry…we’ve got this!

Maybe this type of rumour will actually convince some Arsenal fans that this guy could be the real deal :smiley:

The great thing about Tomi is that he is a good defender and stays back when Tierney is going forward and slots in to make a back three…remember how many time Wenger left our defence completely exposed by allowing both full backs to constantly bomb forward, which left us exposed to being hit on the counter attack. We haven’t been exposed in the same way under Arteta last season with Tomi at RB. What we need though is the balance within the squad so we have different options. I would support us getting a more attacking RB, but think this position is way down the pecking order…just depends how far our budget stretches!

I do think that it’s a little illustrative that the right back pool is complete dog shit right now. I’d have taken a chance on Trippier myself even though I hate his face.

Though with that in mind, it feels like investing time in this lad is the correct move. He’s far too intelligent going forward to be a CB. He reminds me a lot of Meunier, who’s intelligence in attack was often overlooked because he was a lanky full back.

You’re sleeping on Tomiyasu’s ability man, I say that with complete sincerity

No mate a good footballing CB would give us more.
An elite reader at CB opens up so much more scope for us and especially one good on the ball.
As much as we say our midfield and defence isn’t covering well at times, this simple move could improve us overnight.

I do get what @Stroller is saying to be honest.
I think he is indeed a CB playing RB, however, I think his overall skillset makes the transition seamless.
Let’s not forget he used to be a midfielder.
I reckon he can fill in there now too.

Regardless, great to have him in the team. Hope his injuries don’t become a problem like Tierney and Partey though.

2 Likes

I understand where you are coming from but I have to respectfully disagree, our boy White is fantastic in that role and I want to see more of his ability to play out from the back.

Humour me and watch this goal,

Time stamp 2.26

That’s probably the best team goal we scored all season. It’s not Lacazette’s goal, or Saka’s assist. It’s Tomiyasu’s.

The way he intercepts the hospital pass, the athleticism to get it up the pitch and get himself up the pitch to the provide the dummy target.

That’s no CB at right back for me man.

2 Likes

We should try him at CF once

Fucking hilarious that Chelsea would make an offer like that. The man has the first touch of trampoline and runs like he’s wearing soaking wet timberlands.

3 Likes

If Chelsea are after Jesus let’s hope our plan B is not Lukaku.

Before anyone says anything, I do realise that is ridiculous.
Not buying Lukaku, but having a plan B. :grinning:

1 Like

:ozil:

jokes aside though he is definitely overrated if you think he is a top shelf striker costing anywhere near his latest transfer fee, but a rumoured £25m is alright if you play the type of football that can use him. For a loan though?

United paid 50m for AWB

The Chelsea fans on reddit are thrilled at the prospect of getting rid of Lukaku and also furious at the idea that Jesus would come in as a replacement.

It’s a lot of the same arguments we’ve seen on here (i.e.: if he’s not scoring in a perfectly drilled machine like Man City, what chance does he have to do it in a system like Chelsea or if he’s so good, why did Pep play Gundogan as a false nine instead of letting Jesus run out as a striker).

2 Likes