Gabriel Jesus (9)

Tim Vickery really did bring up a chat about Jesus 4 years ago.
He said the same tale on Talksport as well.

Come up with new material mate.

Interesting that by Vickery. Something a bit more substantial than a tweet.
The saving grace is Arteta knowing him and what he Wants.

2 Likes

It wasnā€™t a tweet. It was clip from last week when he was invited on Sky Sports.
I like Tim but this reads to me as someone that doesnā€™t really know much else about Jesus so he brings up material from 4 years ago.

Jesus was 21ish back in that World Cup. It was his first major tournament if I recall correctly.

For someone so familiar with South American football, did he miss his recent interviews where he said he wants to play through the middle?

Iā€™ll let him on a little bit of info. Gabriel Jesus played mainly as a striker for City 2 years ago and got 36 G/A in all competitions in like 35-40 starts.

His G/A numbers per 90 put him around names like Luis Suarez and Thierry Henry.

3 Likes

His G/A might but the eye test doesnā€™t. Thereā€™s no doubt a risk element to this signing and Thereā€™s also an upside for us.
Biggest issue for us as fans is what position is he going too take up.
It impacts on everything else ultimately but obviously the ace is Arteta having worked with him will have his plan for this if he signs.
Basically the lad has too back himself and know what he wants.
Thereā€™s just a bit of indecisiveness for me that doesnā€™t convince me a hundred percent yet but itā€™s still a positive signing to have.

I think something to consider when mentioning his stats, is that he plays for Man City, the team that makes countless chances per 90 mins, and quite often appears a sub when the team is winning, I would assume by more than 1.
For me, those stats on goals and assists is not something you can take into consideration.
Im not really one to use stats in football, they can be adjusted and amended to make it look like anyway you choose. For me its about watching the player and see what he offers,
Im with Stroller, not fully convinced at this moment in time, but if he does come in I hope he proves me wrong.

2 Likes

Why do not others in that same team have same numbers?
Sane, Sterling, Mahrez, Foden, KDB, etc.

Well, I mean he is the striker isnt he, so would make sense for him to finishing chances off for the team, which may explain why his numbers are different.

My point is those stats are going to include games against Watford and Burnley, when he comes on at 3-0 up and scores 2.
They look better that what they actually are.

They also include the big games against Liverpool, PSG, Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.
Because he is known to be a big game player, and a go-to guy for Pep in those games.

Because they contribute different things. Jesus offers different himself.
Judging by numbers is proven time and time again the wrong metric.
They are data stats that can never be the main reason with the exception of goals for an out and out striker.

1 Like

I wouldnt have him down as a big game player

How often have City played without a striker in big games and he is left on the bench!

1 Like

Weā€™re not talking about the expected nonsense here such as xG or xA.
The guy is a live wire for goals and has scored or assisted on big occasions for City.

Even the eye test doesnā€™t lie about it. Big performances against big clubs in the PL and CL. Important goals in there too.

Well, just this season alone he started 6 of the 10 games against the Big 6 teams in the PL.
Scored 3 and assisted 2 as well.

2 Likes

Yeah and thats fair enough but throwing Suarez and Henry name about just takes the discussion on a needless level.
He does score goals but not at a prolific level. I dont have as big an issue with that as others do as thats not been his role at City.
Players we are being linked with suggest our technical level is going up and thats the more important part of this transfer for me.
In isolation for instance on last season if he took the central role, I personally dont think that works out for him.
Thats why for me the rest of the window is as important for the success of this transfer.

3 Likes

Itā€™s Wednesday and Jesus isnā€™t a gooner yet.

I blame Yakubu for converting.

1 Like

We should have gone for Pope. I think he has a special connection with Jesus that nobody else does, and it could have really worked in our favour for getting this over the line.

11 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to Jesus scoring for us next season against Pope!

1 Like

Where art thou, our saviourā€¦

Some of these comp makers really missed a trick not using one of these. :rofl:

In a friendly to be played in the backyard of the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican city

1 Like