Gabriel Jesus (9)

Oh, that’s a take. :eyes:

Good point, I think I’d forgotten all those “FFS HLEB!!!” moments, watching compilations of him on form.

2 Likes

I may be alone in this view…his goal stats were never that impressive, his end product was poor and he never made it at Barca after he left Arsenal. I know contribution is more than just goals and assists, but I remember a lot of times he would get into the final third and fail to get by players or put in a killer cross/pass.

2 Likes

Well that’s an understatement. He was absolutely harmless in front of goal. Would score like a couple of goals a season even though he was playing all the time and was never injured… Quite frustrating with his passing too (compared to top AMs at that time).

Can’t tell too much about Vieira from clips, but so far seems nothing like Hleb really. Doesn’t seem like such an aggressive dribbler at all.

1 Like

Yes I’d go along with this view.

Still think he should never have left. I wonder if he has any regrets about that.

4 Likes

Everyone who leaves The Arsenal always regrets it

1 Like

Van Bronkhurst?

I forgot he played for us for a while :sweat_smile: I was like hey remember back when we played that three man midfield of Flamini Rosicky Fabregas and someone said uh Hleb also tho… :grin: I liked him tho but yeah, didn’t score a lot.

1 Like

PSG now too?:rofl:

Is he the hottest name in the market or what?
Fair play to Edu. Finally coming through with his connections.

1 Like

Fabrizio, you’ll run out of business if there are no twists.

1 Like

So he says nothing new

2 Likes

Great signing; super happy with it.

5 years isn’t that bad; I don’t get this “incentive for CL football” for a club that isn’t in it regularly.

I mean, if we made 4th; there is a 20% chance we make CL the following year with United, Spurs and Newcastle behind us.

You’d buy into the project, not a qualifying tournament.

signing Jesus is a risk because he’s never been the main guy and that’s what we need him to be for us, I reckon he’s got what it takes though and will be a great signing for us, him and Eddie fighting for the number 1 spot could push them both to be better

not really sure if we should go for a third striker as well though?

Seeing reports that he is going to be on 16 million EUR p/a, about £265k p/w. Feels very high.

I highly doubt that

1 Like

I have only seen wages in the region of €11M - which is around £185k/week which is roughly what Lacazette was on, so really to be expected

Isn’t he currently on circa 90k? I wouldn’t be surprised to see something around the 200k mark, but you’d hope we were selling him a better dream than “we’ll pay you 40k more than Tottenham”.

That Vickery video is interesting and concerning at the same time.

I’d argue that the reason Jesus doesn’t know whether he’s now a CF or a wide forward is because Pep has changed his role quite dramatically. A few years under Pep’s tutelage where he’s sacrificing himself for a team that is winning leagues every year, being told that scoring isn’t as important as helping to create space and chances for the team - he’s been conditioned to be less selfish than when he first arrived.

All the initial reports talked about him coming here to be the #9. If he’s so scarred from not scoring at the last WC, he’ll be demanding that CF spot at Arsenal - debate over.

1 Like

Haven’t seen the video, but yeah… He just “smells” different compared to his first couple of years at City. Looked kinda sharper and and more aggressive in the penalty area… No doubt he changed now. He seems more relaxed about getting into positions and scoring goals, but much more ready to drop back, pick up the ball, more involved in the build up

And generally I’d say seems even a bit more lazy compared to a couple of years ago, I was always impressed with his work rate and energy on the pitch at that time.

Still no reason to worry much imo. He’s still a top level forward, and a relatively young one too. Personally I’d like Arteta to push in the direction of his earlier years, getting more aggressive as a goalscorer (I said I saw a bit of Eto’o in him at that time) but even as he is now he’ll have a great contribution.

1 Like