Gabriel Jesus (9)

Jesus!

(… i.e. no thanks)

1 Like

Fuck it why not

Idk. I’m caught in two minds on this.

On one hand he’s young, extremely talented and has a history with the coach. He’s looking for a spot to really push on with his career and is light years ahead of Lacazette and Eddie.

On the other hand he’s coming from a club that doesn’t play with a striker and it just feels like he doesn’t score enough. Maybe it’s because it feels like he’s been around forever and City have so much talent that it’s easy to get shuffled around. I worry about signing a “reject” from City a little rather than someone making a step up to Arsenal even though that fear is wrapped up in soft factor nonsense.

But a summer of Jesus, DCL, Neves and Cody Gakpo? Idk. It’s a lot it money but it still doesn’t feel the same as maybe signing a guy like Vlahovic. I know that ship has sailed and I need to get over it.

2 Likes

Freshest memory I have is him shitting the bed just last Saturday.

We’ve got enough bottlers. Don’t need another.

1 Like

It’s probably not borne out in stats but it feels like he flubs a lot of chances.

1 Like

I’m sure Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho can tie their own laces without help from any of our players. :grinning:

We need a fuckload of players. 3 strikers out the door. Martinelli shouldn’t be playing every game. Pepe needs to move on and potentially a dozen European fixtures next year. This is a player who could do something for all of those things.

This feels like a Podolski kind of signing to me. Good player, imperfect, never going to hit the highest heights but we can find something for him to do in this squad and he actually can do a job up front.

If we got to a point where he was our biggest problem I think we’d be in a good place. Even if we’re done with him in a couple of seasons it seems like a low risk move to me.

3 Likes

I agree.
I thought we might have learned that quality is better than quantity.

Good link combination player but a pretty poor goal scorer, for me a lot would depend on price wages and other options available.

1 Like

Jesus plus a goalscorer, and then we’re cooking.

4 Likes

Happy with this

It’s not even that those mooted players aren’t quality. I think they’re all good. Well except Gakpo who I’ve only seen play once.

It just feels a little meh. Edu and Arteta promised top quality but that lineup just isn’t top shelf.

1 Like

Top shelf are going to places like PSG, RM Mancity Liverpool etc money and success talks. Cant be in a mediocre at best position for a decade and expect top tier talent to just come in, when we have achieved some stuff like being back in the CL and are getting further than the knock out stages maybe top tier will look at us.

3 Likes

I remember a previous manager that used to promise the same thing.
He’d say he would only buy super quality and then buy the opposite. :grinning:

1 Like

Window isn’t even open yet. Can people relax. We’ve shown in the past we’re willing to go for players like Odegaard and Partey that are of very high quality, and players like Pepe who while it hasn’t worked out was thought of one of the best brightest prospects in Europe.

I’m usually pretty cynical about our summer dealings but even a blind man could see we’re shaping up to try and build something this year. The wage books being restructured was without a doubt the biggest clue.

Being linked to players like Jesus could just be the start, people need to chill. We won’t know anything until we know where we stand in terms of European qualification.

4 Likes

The best bit of the window is after we’ve signed the player but they haven’t played for us yet so we can shit all over them before looking like idiots when they turn out to be good.

3 Likes

Jesus plus another striker is probably the best we can realistically expect.

Not ever going to get Haaland or Mbappe (lol) so where does that leave us?

We absolutely have to buy one striker who is a known quantity with a bit of potential upside. For me that is basically Jesus, DCL, Abraham and guys of that ilk.

Jesus for £30m(ish) represents solid value. DCL and Abraham will cost almost double.

Good business if we get it done. He knows Pepball, he works really hard on the pitch and is versatile.

I’m actually surprised at the news he is interested in coming here. Would be a monumental upgrade on Laca, Nketiah and Balogun.

6 Likes

I quite like the early part where everyone is still full of hope, optimism and even a little greed. The point where everyone is talking about signing Osimhen, Jesus and Gakpo. I don’t care for the part where we are 48 hours away from the window closing and we’ve all been humbled to the point that were desperate to see the club get an injured DCL over the line so we have at least one new attacker.

8 Likes

Also great to have three Gabriel’s.

1 Like

Quality player. Would love him here. Capable of creating his own chances and being alert in the box. Jesus, New Striker, Balogun and Martinelli us a strong set of forwards to add to ESR and Saka. I’d efen take a DCL or Toney.