Gabriel Jesus (9)

Nonexistent?

If you want the tl;dr/w version:
Club realized we needed to rebuild our core.
We started that last summer by pretty much signing a key player in every position. Jobā€™s not done though. We want to build a solid foundation so that we reach a point where the club is self sustainable and to do that the club knows weā€™ll have to invest now to reach that state and be competitive.

Striker and Midfielder were on the list last summer. We didnā€™t sign a striker because we had Auba, Laca and Eddie already here. We shopped all of them around last summer and we were looking at Vlahovic, Lautaro and Abraham as replacements.
Xhaka was all but gone but Roma were fucking around so Xhaka stayed.
We were looking at Locatelli and Neves.

Josh has a great beard tbf

Yep. No sure things in this squad. It could be 4th next year, it could be 7th, which is the story of several rivals too. Youā€™re banking entirely on improvement in young players here and buying into the whole thing which wonā€™t be appealing for every player.

9 Likes

Sure, it wonā€™t be for every player. It will be for a lot though.
Sure, Ronaldo isnā€™t coming here and it would be interesting to see if he remains at Man Utd.
Mbappe isnā€™t coming here either.

Would Jesus not entertain coming here? His agent admitted they like the project.
Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty of players in that mold that will be interested in what we offer.

If there was a trophy for ā€œSmooth Talking,ā€ or ā€œTransparent BS,ā€ Arteta and this idiot would have no competition.
They are the Kings of PR spin.

Players and their agents donā€™t listen to nonsense like this because theyā€™re in the the same business themselves so can see right through it.

If Man City want 50m itā€™s because they think they can get it from one of the several clubs that are interested in signing him.

Without CL football Jesus is about the best we will get and there is no guarantee he wants to be here but, even if he does, Iā€™m not sure he is going to make that much difference to our lack of goals.

1 Like

Name me the strikers whoā€™ll come here and make the difference for you, because Iā€™m not sure if you noticed but the striker market is the driest it has been in years.

Jesus is one of the top names available.

If thatā€™s the case then the project has changed several times cuz I recall Arteta giving a 3 year contract to a washed Willian and Arteta thinking he was the missing piece of the puzzle for a champions league victory :joy::joy::clown_face::clown_face::clown_face::clown_face:

2 Likes

I agree, thatā€™s why I think he is about the best we can get.
Iā€™d prefer Osimhen but realistically we arenā€™t going to spend 80m and itā€™s doubtful he
wants to come here anyway.

1 Like

Jesus gonna come here for 50m and a big pay raise cuz he ā€œlikes the projectā€ lmaooooo :woozy_face::woozy_face::clown_face::clown_face: Then Arteta is gonna turn him into a pumpkin. I predict about 6 or 7 goals. That should be the straw for the teta boot lickers.

Oh yeah, Iā€™ve been warning people about their pipe dreams for Osimhen.
And even he tbh, isnā€™t really a player that would come in here and bag 15-20 league goals a season straight away.

Iā€™ve actually settled on the fact that our new striker wonā€™t hit big numbers in terms of goals. Big reason I like Gabriel Jesus is his all around game.

1 Like

Osimhen really ainā€™t it man. In a league where the likes of Immobile and Lukaku are the best strikers of the past few seasons, if you canā€™t even cross 15 goals mark then you really arenā€™t worth the hype. Fucking Arnautovic has the same amount of goals as him, while the likes of Deulofeu and Giroud arenā€™t far behind.

If we are going for unproven entities from the likes of Italian or German league, then there are cheaper and less riskier options around.

1 Like

The best strikers in Italy atm;

Vlahovic
Scamacca
Martinez
Abraham
Osimhen

Immobile is a penalty merchant. Heā€™s scored like 8 penalties this season, he scored like 14 in 19/20 and about 4 or 5 last season so generally speaking he is about a 19-20 goal a season striker without penalties.

Yeah thatā€™s the list with Lukaku and Ronaldo gone, but over the past 2-3 seasons it has been Immobile, Ronaldo and Lukaku who have been dominating the scoring charts.

Even if Immobile is a penalty merchant, 19-20 is still a lot and more than what Osimhen scores. I have seen your posts here and I know that you know more about Serie A than most, but looking at it from a statistical point of view, paying 100 million euros for a striker that is going toe to toe with Arnautovic seems like a rip off.

Not too mention the Arsenal will have to improve to overtake someone for a Top 4 spot; those clubs competing for that wonā€™t be standing still either of course.

The club may put a good PR spin on the project, but losing out on the CL when the club was in a commanding spot for it is a big blow. Throw in the mistakes made in the January window and it is another self-inflicted blow.

1 Like

You havenā€™t really watched much of him have you? Considering heā€™s had a major injury this season and the other aspects of his play, something none of the Arsenal players seem able to do heā€™s been brilliant this season.
Itā€™s a mute point anyway since heā€™s staying put.

I donā€™t need to watch him play to tell that a striker that has only scored 10-15 goals per season in Serie A and Ligue 1 is not worth 100 million euros.

As for him having other aspects to his game, we need strikers that can score goal and finish chances. Giroud and Laca are strikers that are subpar at scoring goals but have other aspects to their game.

As for him staying at Napoli, his price tag is obviously a ā€œfuck offā€ price, like they have quoted for Koulibaly time and time again.

1 Like

First of all the prices quoted are more than likely made up by the media or ADL doing his usual.
Granted with the price quoted you want more goals per buck paid, but as I said before his link up play bringing other players like Mertens and Insigne into play his strength and aerial ability are not questionable.

But if you asked which player I would prefer at Arsenal and at prices quoted Osimhen for ā‚¬100 million or Nunez for ā‚¬70 million and Iā€™m basing this on watching whole games and opposition played against Iā€™d go for Osimhen every single timeā€¦

But Iā€™m sure weā€™ve all mentioned this before such is the dearth of top quality strikerā€™s at the moment we are gonna have to pay over the top for anyone.

2 Likes

How has Lautaro Martinrez been this season? Iā€™ve seen a few of his highlights and heā€™s scoring and impressive goals, I wasnā€™t really that keen on him last summer and he didnā€™t impress me greatly against Pool - up until he shut me up with that absolute screamer.

A big part of why Iā€™ve warmed to him is simply I feel like his profile night suit us a bit more now we know Jesus is probably coming in. Martinez Jesus Saka could be a very fluid front 3 on paper

Same sort of goal ratio to Osimhen this season but another one without champions league football less likely to happen.
For some reason I canā€™t see him in the premiership, if he leaves Italy maybe more suited to Spain.

1 Like