Food Thread

Pastry or potatoes just confuses me even more now.

I’ll stick to beans on toast.

3 Likes

When I eventually get some time at home, I enjoy cooking different variaties of Asian food, gyōza/ filled dumplings/sushi, but my absolute favourite is this.
Vermicelli rice noodles, market packet miso soup, chicken thighs with the bones taken out to make a quick stock then added to the miso soup, loads of veg, Thai basil, mint, coriander, sesame, the crispy chillies and Peanuts in oil, get a good sweat on after a bowl of that, so much flavour in it too.

8 Likes

@Joshua or any weird Americans

Is biscuits and gravy as disgusting as it sounds? And why do Americans think that dish is a good idea?

You’re better off asking someone who isn’t a coastal vegan elitist.

My brother went to college in the midwest where that was a big thing — along with enormous portion sizes and people in general.

It was some sort of pork based gravy on top of a biscuit (not one of your biscuits, which we call cookies. Our biscuits are more like a crumbly roll that sucks all the moisture out of your mouth which is why you need the gravy.)

My brother used to order it for breakfast or a late night diner meal. It’s probably pretty good when you’re drunk or hungover.

1 Like

I remember posting another one of those a while back.
Had a look at the whole list, Morocco is really low @SRCJJ, is food there that bad?

Moroccan food is my favourite food but how much someone enjoys food is totally subjective.

Moroccan and Algerian food is nearly identical to cal so the fact we’re apparently really low and they’ve managed to squeeze in the mid 30s means this list is just stupid lol

But yeah I love my own cuisine I could eat it all day and every day without hesitation lol

1 Like

What counts as American cuisine?

What is English food?

Chips and gravy?

Roast dinner, shepherd’s pie, Beef wellington. That kinda thing I’d imagine.

1 Like

Beef Wellington is probably the only worthy one, and it’s certainly quite a staple food in high end restaurants.

Completely agree with Italian food being at the top but then realise the table being absolute bollocks, how the hell does Spanish food rate so highly and Thai and Lebanese so lowly?
I’m assuming this is based on each country’s national dishes.

1 Like

Tofu, I’m an avid meat eater, love the stuff but only eat is once or twice a week in my effort to cut down over the years. My dad’s in the meat industry, has been since I was a kid so was brought up on the stuff… I don’t tell him about the tofu though :joy:

But tofu, I genuinely love the stuff, press the water out of it, toss it in 5 spice, onion powder, garlic powder and cornflour and fry it up in a pan then toss it in a marinade (soy sauce, sriracha, sweet chilli sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, rice vinigar and honey) and you’ve got something incredible…

5 Likes

Ah mate, same here. Have really come to appreciate tofu. Even aubergines, extract all that water out and you’ve got some great flavour there.

On a side note I got gifted a sous vide recently, I know some chefs deem it cheating but getting perfect steaks, chicken, fish and even poached eggs every time round consistently is just joyous.

Edit: Oh and blowtorches for the best grilled cheeses haha!

1 Like

Not cheating at all, we use it quite a lot, it’s awesome for extracting flavour from veg or cooking fish and keeping it perfectly white.
Confit carrots is one of my favourites, the puree this things make is incredible.

Blow torches are brilliant for charring things, I did charred tomato’s with mackerel the other week and it was :pinched_fingers:

1 Like

:cut_of_meat: top drawer.

4 Likes

Cinnamon swirls ……. Now these are sent from the food gods

Pizza in the Egg!

(Pardon the square sandwich in a round oven. I didn’t do the food prep).

4 Likes

Nice!!! I’ve got a big green egg on order! Incredible pieces of kit!

1 Like

Haha, we did pizzas on the green egg yest too! They’re the best.

1 Like

Pulled pork going on here for today

3 Likes