Ferguson vs Wenger | Pep vs Klopp

I think Neville has regressed as a pundit but he knows what will make people react especially on social media

Plenty of it is theatre to a degree

1 Like

I just see both as Sky promotional hype on both counts.

1 Like

Is it non competitive or are those two teams just on another planet generally?

And with all the money that teams have these days you could say it’s even more competitive. City despite almost running away with the league at one point dropped points to Palace, Spurs and Southampton hence making this a proper title race for the run in.

I think some just need to admit that they don’t like the two clubs and leave it at that, doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of objectivity here which is understandable I suppose.

One draw or loss could now cost either the league and that isn’t thrilling? Not sure why for some us and United should have ownership on what a rivalry should or can be.

2 Likes

No one has said this. The thread asked us to compare two so thats what has happened. You could easily put United/Newcastle or Us/United/Chelsea or that equation with us removed after 05 and they are all better too.

Mate you yourself said that what they are doing doesn’t amount to a rivalry.

I sure did. And now I’ve provided further examples to back up why I think its a lame one.

I do think this debate is fitting of a wider discussion.

This is probably the first time in football has an era been defined by it’s coaches. Not just at top level either. Part of it is just it feels there isn’t as much player talent around so there’s been a more emphasis on getting the most out of what you can. But is it more exciting? What Klopp and Pep does is incredible. But I don’t think I’m in awe compared to watching a truly talented footballer.

Just take earlier in the week, who was talking about Madrid’s tactical display or how amazing Benzema was?

I hope some more talent come from somewhere. These old heads ain’t going to be around forever.

3 Likes

Really? Like Fergie wasn’t doing the same by getting the most out of what he had? Especially in the latter half of his tenure I mean that’s the remit of any coach worth their salt.

And I think there’s plenty of awe inspiring individual performances in the PL and elsewhere and from younger players too, the next generation will be fine.

If we’re talking about the dearth of striker talent then that’s an argument but I don’t quite see the drain of talent that you’re alluding to in general.

Many of Ferguson’s eras has been defined by the players. Class of 92? Roy Keane? Tevez/Ronaldo/Rooney?

Fair enough though you think there’s sufficient talent. Time will tell on that one.

1 Like

You’re a Don Revie v Cloughie man, ain’t ya :wink:

1 Like

Wenger/Fergie at its peak was an iconic rivalry that exceeded even beyond the pitch.

As characters, they were both unique and influential in how they impacted the game, but the memorable quotes between them and iconic teams have remained as such. They were also synonymous with their clubs because of their long service which is rare in the game now.

Yes there is a high standard setting bar which Man City and Liverpool have created on this era. But I don’t know their rivalry feels soulless to me?

Man City were mainly an absolute nothing until they bought themselves to where they are. Pep, as world class a coach that he is, benefitted from those budget luxuries. The club likely cheered the likes of Liverpool/arsenal regularly if they prevented Man Utd from something.

Although Wenger’s decline did impact the Wenger/Fergie rivalry towards the end, it was still iconic.
And @Aussiegooner we could be winning titles left and right currently but I think fans and would still want to preserve this rivalry for the great standing and magic it had in its own era.

11 Likes

Nail. Head. MissRedNL.

(Almost rhymes)

It wasn’t just Wenger and Ferguson. Keown on RvN, Keane vs Vieira, shit in the tunnels, it felt like a proper rivalry between two entire clubs, it doesn’t happen much today and especially not between these two.

This is potentially only the second or third game they’ve played against each other that really matters. Have they even played a cup game against each other? I can’t remember one. It felt like we played United every other year in cups, charity shield etc.

This isn’t a meaningful rivalry at all, it’s just two good teams who happen to be in the top 2 spots in the same league.

8 Likes

Look I’m fasting so I’m trying not to swear as much.

BUT WHAT?!

Let’s get this straight

Wenger Vs Fergie is the reason Man City exist in the way they do.

Never make this awful comparison again.

No wonder it’s scousers that spouted more deranged nonsense.

@DavidHillier tell em bro.

3 Likes

Dont worry, I swore on your behalf earlier :wink:

1 Like

So much promotion of toxic masculinity in this thread.

1 Like

Imagine if the first 300 episodes of Dragonball Z were just Goku and Vegeta talking about what an outstanding competitor the other one was.

What a great TV show that would be.

3 Likes

It’s literally the definition of what a rivalry is.

They’re competing for the league with all they have ergo its a rivalry, just because they haven’t thrown pizzas at each other doesn’t discount it from being one.

People making up their own definition of what rivalry means lol

1 Like

hang in there buddy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yup

5 Likes