European Super League

At least both the North London clubs will be in the perennial loser league.

2 Likes

Tottenham are a better club than is right now.

1 Like

We’ll get relegated from it.

1 Like

Under the current regime, I wouldn’t be surprised if we did :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

:arteta:

2 Likes

Arteta dodged these sanctions like a boss

2 Likes

Will probably rollover until we’re next in Europe. Maybe it’s like the student loan, where if you can’t pay it by a certain date they just erase it :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

7 Likes

Wait what?

If I were one of these money grubbing owners I’d consider only 5% revenue loss an incentive to give it another go.

1 Like

I’d imagine the clubs were assured before leaving the ESL that reprisals would be trivial if they backed out there and then.

The three that are still in though, I think they might be in a spot of bother

1 Like

Yeah…United ain’t getting sold :ok_hand:

1 Like

Not a big fan of the initial Super League idea but I think it is wrong how both Uefa and national FAs are trying to lock clubs in competitions that are gradually becoming worse.

3 Likes
1 Like

Quite powerful stuff that. UEFA have managed too put speed bumps in the road for now.
Something going to give here.
Qatar world cup in winter will go along way towards changes in the game.

1 Like

I don’t think Real, Barca and Juventus could have picked a worse time for this.

The breakaway 12 was a big deal and held power by threatening to leave because without them there is no Champions League, but fuck these 3. They’re not the elites of football right now and they’re just trading on past glories.

You could ban them from Europe for a year and I doubt it would make much of a dent to the competition. All they really have that makes any of them significant is Messi and Ronaldo and Messi could easily join another CL club in the summer and Ronaldo might be not even be playing in the CL next year anyway.

These clubs are broke and a year of no CL should be a significant enough dent to their revenue to make them come crawling back and think twice about doing this again (at least until they can actually do it properly). With how coefficient payments work too it will potentially cost them something like €10m a season in the following 4-5 years if they do come back too.

It just feels like punishing these 3 hard is in UEFA’s long term interests and is a real open goal right now.

4 Likes

I’d be surprised if they box themselves in like that for the future, but if true it certainly feels as if the Premier league clubs have realised that PL money is as good as it’s going to get whilst keeping the status quo.

4 Likes

20m is nothing and big clubs can survive relegation with 30 pts.