Emiliano Buendia

So he makes just over one chance from open play a game as a forward score 1 goal in 36 games and takes set pieces alright. I don’t want a defensive forward arsenal need goals.

That’s a fair point, with jumping levels, however, mine is that he’s a gem hiding in plain sight.

I’d say he’s more in the vein of Maddison and Grealish rather than Tom Ince and players who simply couldn’t hack it at this level, that’s not to say he’d necessarily be as good as them but when I’ve watched him play he passes the eye test as well as all the stats he’s posted up. I do want him to go to a better club so this can be settled lol.

Like I said he’s versatile, he can play #10, out wide and I don’t see why he couldn’t adapt to a deeper role at CM. Your point was that he didn’t have the impact but it’s clear he had that and more.

In that season he clearly should have had more assists if not for the poor finishing of his teammates, he didn’t score a lot but you have to take in account the defensive load he was shouldering in that season, he can and should be scoring more but but he’s proven he has goals in his locker.

I’m not saying he’s an elite player, but he has a fairly high ceiling IMO and is a player that could make the step up.

1 Like

I remember having a similar argument about Ryan Sessegnon. He was being lauded by every Tom, Dick and Harry. Even got Championship player of the season over Neves, which was a travesty! I kept saying, this kid is good, but not good enough for a top club. And look what happened.

I fully expect the same thing to happen here. Buendia is good, but honestly don’t see him carving out a career at a top club.

Sessegnon did sweet FA in the PL though.

We’ll see with Buendia but I think it’ll be a case of regret when he does get his big move.

1 Like

Would you take him over Odegaard if either were possible in summer and where do you think his best position in our team would be?

While I probably like Odegaard more at the moment that’s largely because he’s fitted into our side so seamlessly, and seems to work really well beside ESR even though they have slightly similar profiles.

Odegaard over Buendia everyday of the week

6 Likes

I can’t say for now tbh, everyone creaming over Odegaard after four games with two being starts? It’s just funny to me man.

Both can play in similar positions but like I said it’s seems like snobbery to me, he came from Real and is a bigger name but the reality is he’s done nothing astounding.

Like I said earlier I suppose these guys regularly watched him in Spain? Or are they just going off of rep? In most cases it’ll be the latter me thinks.

3 Likes

You very obviously do have a preference but don’t want to speak it out (yet).

No I don’t, I’m just not going to say definitively after barely watching him play for us it’s quite simple.

You’re the one with the preference here.

Yeh I do agree we need to see a lot more of Odegaard before we decide we want to throw massive money at him and tbh in Jan I’d rather have moved for Buendia permanently as we’re very dependent on Odegaard staying here permanently for this transfer to be worthwhile.

Regardless it is nice to finally be linked with attacking and creative players so I don’t really mind who we end up with.

1 Like

Has anybody actually thought that this guy might think, why go to a mid table club, with a mid table manager…He may get better options?

It’s not that. You prefer Buendia and Odegaard has to change your mind. Which is fair enough.

Yeah, obviously…I’ve said as much.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Buendia after watching him in many matches and I’ve barely watched Odegaard play anywhere let alone here.

I wouldn’t say that’s a preference, I’m just not someone who’s going to act like Odegaard is certified after four games.

Thomas Partey went from a team challenging titles and champions league to us for money.

Blows my mind personally but it happens

Honestly if we can and if he will come, we should just pay Villa the £100m or whatever and take Grealish. Guy is a baller and has proved it at the highest level of English football.

2 Likes

Haha yeah for real if money was no object Grealish would be at the top of the list.

He’s been dripping this season.

1 Like

It’d be just like us to sign him now and not 3 seasons ago when he was in a division below

3 Likes

Buendia is good. Odegaard is miles better

1 Like

I could really see Emi coming here in his mid 20s and having an impact like Santi Cazorla. The thing underrated about emi is his defensive abilities the man has all the ingredients to be a modern day #8. Oodegard again looks a lot more like an old school Özil type 10.

2 Likes

You’re mentioning old names here. Could have gone for some recent flops.
Anyway, nowadays I’m seeing more good players from the Championship turning into successes than not.
As for Cantwell, I think there’s a great player in there but Buendia is undoubtedly the top guy still.
Look how Norwich results dropped off while Buendia had a slight dip in-form. Got suspended and the team got even worse. Pukki and Cantwell nowhere to be seen. Buendia came back from suspension and lifted the whole team up.
Remove Buendia from that team and they’re not even making the playoffs imo.

2 Likes