Edu Gaspar

Yall motherfuckers need Jesus

5 Likes
3 Likes

Im underwhelmed with most of our targets right now. This appointment though as the weeks have gone on does seem to promise something different for the future. Hopefully going forward this is an adjustment to past failings that moves us into a new direction from the past.

Which ones? Zaha, Tierney, Saliba, Everton are all good targets purely in terms of player quality (IMO)ā€¦

Saliba isnt relevant till next season so not counting that one. Zaha is average for me. Tierney I like.
Priority has to be a CB and seems we are not going to address it and personally dont think we have enough to get by with in that department.

I mean, he is a transfer target regardless of when he plays so I donā€™t think it makes much sense to not include him.

Pffff. Zaha is one of the best players in the premier league excluding City and Liverpool.
If you were to say heā€™s not a good target because weā€™d be paying up to Ā£80m for a player with 4/5 years left at his peak I might agree with you, but surely you canā€™t doubt his quality, whether thatā€™s from looking at his stats or watching him play.

Iā€™m sure we will buy a CB, I donā€™t think it will be an expensive one, but I do think weā€™ll get one.

Never said Saliba wasnt a good signing but he is of no use to us in our most problematic position this season.
Zaha ive said a few times I find one dimensional and easy to workout. If were going with a prem proven player I prefer Fraser as I think his workrate and end product be more productive for us.
On your third point hope your right because it will be the difference between us making 4th or falling away for me.

Feels like heā€™s more of a glorified player/coach/senior management liaison tbh

Donā€™t think he has the expertise or technical experience to be majorly involved in first team transfer

2 Likes

As a coordinator for the CBF, Edu was less successful. Brazilā€™s youth teams underperformed, eliminated early in the South American Under-17 and Under-20 championships in 2019 despite being full of talented prospects. Two years ago the Under-20s failed to qualify for the World Cup. Before Edu the youth teams could call on three technical scouts, whereas now there is one professional. For one year under his control the Under-20s did not have a coach.

For the senior team the problems started with the organisation for the 2018 World Cup. Selecting Brazilā€™s training base in Sochi created a problem because of the long distances to each match. During the group stage Brazil clocked up 7,000km, more than three times that of Argentina.

Edu was widely criticised for seeming to pander to their star player, Neymar. At the end of the World Cup Edu said: ā€œIt isnā€™t easy to be Neymar. Itā€™s very hard. He is a little boy. Sorry, he is an athlete. He is an athlete that deserves my praise.ā€ He added: ā€œI feel pity for him in some moments, because what this boy suffers isnā€™t easy.ā€

RogƩrio Caboclo, the CBF president, lost confidence in Edu and the switch to Arsenal was timely for both parties. To many the challenge for Edu at the Emirates is harder than at Corinthians and with Brazil, because of the state of the Premier League club. For the third year in a row Arsenal have failed to qualify for the Champions League and they conspicuously lack the financial power of rivals.

2 Likes

It seemed at the start we were lost without a technical director, and since Edu has come in we have been making big moves.

I realise thatā€™s pretty simplistic though, since a lot of the deals probably had a lot of work going into them already.

Who gets the credit for the resurgence in Brazilian talent between 2014 and 2018/19? The 2018 squad had a lot more (individual) talent than the 2014 one. Which was way more Neymar-dependant. The bad things are on Edu, but the good things too?

Yeh find it really hard to attribute any of this so far to Edu, I think heā€™ll be a good appointment, but letā€™s be honest heā€™s spent about 80 percent of his short tenure flying back and forth between countries so far.

1 Like

Paywall :xhaka:

Oh yeah forget it was a pay article as I have it haha

A month free trial and then only Ā£2.50 a month. Doing it. Bargain.

11 Likes

Hope the fans are treating him better now, that AFC supporters meeting was painful to see, poor guy

Great PR. Pretty empty, but great nevertheless lol

1 Like