Edu Gaspar

Is there a clamour of top European, or any European clubs, going after Edu’s services as a Director Of Football as well?
Or is he saving his world class experience for us?

But what is his experience of dealing with players that aren’t going to be playing for Brazil?

We need someone, with experience, to walk in straight away and start telling us who the best young players in Europe are, so we can try and sort out the complete mess we’re in.

This just shows how out of touch our board are with, not only the supporters, but football in general.

I want the best qualified person for the job, not the best qualified for the job who also has to be an ex player for us.

We are a club just stumbling from one bad decision to another, without a clue of what we’re doing.

It’s as if, whoever is doing all the big decision making at our club, is actually a spurs infiltrator.

1 Like

Ok. Who is that so?

What an odd statement. The second one is obviously more desirable.

It was Mislintat until his position was made untenable.

He literally ticked all the boxes and had a proven track record. Wasn’t a yes man so had to go

And maybe Sven was a colossal prick.

A yes man to who? Raul? What is it you think Raul wants to do that he needs yes men on board?

I’m about as qualified as whoever is making the decisions at Arsenal but I would hope that one of the richest clubs in Europe might have a better decision maker than me, or whoever is making the decisions at the club.

It might be desirable but also unrealistic unless the best qualified person also just happened to be an ex Arsenal player.
It’s not like Edu was born in North London and spent his whole career here.

His job at the moment is mainly dealing with Brazilian players, that mostly only play in Brazil.
How does that qualify him to be an expert on young players from any country from clubs based in Europe?

Me too. And if this was just a job they were giving out for the sake of it there’s no reason they wouldn’t have appointed Pires to it who is far more loved than Edu and has wanted a job at the club for years. I have to assume there is something behind this appointment.

I think Raul wants to be surrounded by people unlikely to challenge his POV or his position as head of football.

Not sure how anyone can justify losing Sven and bringing in Edu.

Maybe Sven was a prick but who cares? He was proven, successful and fitted perfectly with our model

2 Likes

Not sure I’ve seen anyone doing that.

But Sven is gone and the club has to move on. How the people occupying those top roles work together is pretty important so rather than it being a case of yes men why could it not just be about shared vision? If Raul and Sven fundamentally had differences in that regard then maybe it could have been even more detrimental if he had stayed. Whatever the truth of it he’s gone either way.

And yes, Edu might be a fucking disaster too. But he’s on the way in and I’d rather give him a chance.

5 Likes

Fair enough.

I think having consensus is important but not at the expense of genuine talent. Like you say, Edu is coming only fair to judge on what he does in the role

Maybe he gave a convincing interview like Unai Emery did :smile:.

Edu seems a sensible choice to me. He’ll bring a wealth of knowledge from a market we should be tapping into more often anyway. So long as his arrival is supplemented with good scouting and multi team decisions being made this has potential be a sensible move in the right direction.

It could also consequently solidify our position as the 6th or so best team in the English league.

Either way I’m trying not to get too riled up by all of these decisions being made and ins and outs because I don’t think any of us truly know what kind of effect it’s going to have on us it’s a potentially dark few years for Arsenal if any further poor decisions are made so I’m trying to give the new team (Raul, Vinai, Edu etc) the benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

Oooh, Edu. For a moment there I thought you were talking about Arteta.

1 Like

Hope he has an eye on Everton, should try to lure him over here after the Copa lol

1 Like
2 Likes

It’s a shame that the first player that I actually think of when I see the 125th anniversay kit, is André Santos :facepalm:

5 Likes

Quotes for the lazy:

Head of football Raul Sanllehi said: “We’re very excited that Edu is joining the team. He has great experience and technical football knowledge and most importantly is a true Arsenal man. He understands the club and what we stand for to our millions of fans around the world.

“His arrival is the final and very important part of the jigsaw in our development of a new football infrastructure to take us forward. He will be working closely with Unai Emery and the first-team coaches, and will play a relevant role leading our football vision and ensuring we have - and follow - a solid philosophy through all our football activities.”

Edu said: “Arsenal has always had a special place in my heart and I’m thrilled to be returning to this great club in this new role. We have a strong squad and some very talented young players with fantastic people at every level. I’m looking forward to helping make a difference.”

4 Likes