Edu Gaspar

I have a feeling we are going for Pavon, we have been linked to him for a while and Pavon seems to be the sorta player that the likes of Edu would be looking at and we need a winger and he shouldnt cost the earth but is a supposed talent…just got a gut feeling.

Looks like we are going all in on the South American market.

All those fucking work-permits. I’ve played enough FM to know it sucks bringing South American talent to the Premier League

4 Likes

Wish I’d voted for the Brexit party now

1 Like

I’d rather someone like Hakim Ziyech over Ryan Fraser, wouldn’t they cost similar amounts ?

This is arsenal, we don’t make sensible decisions here.

I’m okay with Fraser, but he ideally should be cheap.

This seems like he will be cheaper than Ziyech

I bet he’ll go to Everton for 40m

1 Like

I then we’ll be ridiculed for not matching that outrageous price.

And then Everton will finish below us again

5 Likes

What an utter shameless this appointment is. I don’t not think Edu was the best candidate for this role.

The club is trying to load as many previous likeable arsenal figures to high positions to placate fans stupid desire for “football people” at the excutive level. This will be detrimental to club operations

Ok so Sanllehi outlined the TD role in that youtube interview:

The technical director has to bring [together] the sporting philosophy of the club. The head coach is more the short-term vision, the technical director has to safeguard the medium and long-term.

That person needs to be in very close contact with the first-team coach and have his total trust, know the first-team from in and out, knowing what’s coming from the academy. If he knows a big talent is coming from the academy he can already prepare the head coach.

He needs to take care of all the market, the scouting and agents

Edu is massively underqualified and under experience to satisfy any of the above criteria

1 Like

I agree.
It seems all the back room staff we’re linked with are people who used to play for us.

It’s almost as if they can’t be bothered to pay someone with first class experience in Europe but would rather go down the cheaper route of picking someone less expensive, that the supporters will tolerate, because he used to wear an Arsenal shirt.

Sounds like they’re stocking up on yes men that are simply grateful for oppurtunity and won’t rock the boat.

We can all hope that his limited experience belies what his actual contribution will be but on the face of it its no way to run a supposed top club.

1 Like

Or you can see it like we’re doing similar to what Ajax are doing. After all, what experience did Overmars have before becoming the Director of Football? Assisting on ‘technical matters’ at Go Ahead Eagles?

Edu seems like a smart motherfucker. He was investing and learning about businesses, and raking in the cash while still playing. You could even argue that he has been more successful off the pitch than on it.

He’s been Director of Football at Corinthians since 2011, and now works behind the scenes for the Brazil national team. Seems pretty fucking qualified to me.

7 Likes

Yea not even sure what the qualifications are to determine that someone doesn’t have them.

1 Like

How is this experience useful for European based club football? He doesn’t even have a record when it comes to talent ID or development of youth and now we’re going to give him the right to have a say in directing our scouting?

Where’s the evidence that he’s able to develop a “sporting philosophy”? He’s never coached at any level and his expertise of European football is based solely on his Europe based playing career which ended in 2009. He’s severely lacking in technical and practical expertise

His only qualification is that he use to play for Arsenal. How on earth was Mislintat passed over for this role? He’s more experienced and proven in every department

That’s demonstrably untrue.

If you can’t say Edu was the best candidate available soley based on merit then it is true.

If the arsenal connection wasn’t there he’d was be nowhere near this job and fans would be questioning wtf we’re doing

1 Like

Fans who hadn’t been following Edu’s career after retiring? Probably they would question it.

His post career information is widely available.

Why on earth are we brining in an executive into an important role who complete expertise is limited to primarily Brazil? This is a BS move

1 Like

He’ll be Technical Director, not a scout. The job is to coordinate all parts of development and scouting.

Which is literally the job he does for the Brazil national team.

1 Like