Edu Gaspar

3 Likes

…and scored an own goal to set Middlesbrough on their way to beating us 0-3 at home to win Manchester Yucknited the league

1 Like

Should never have sold Petit in the first place

5 Likes

I remember always being pretty disappointed by Edu. He has that one season where he started to turn in some very good performances and then he left for free at the end of the season.

4 Likes

Didn’t we score 2 own goals that day Dave ? Was a real strange defeat that one.

1 Like

Yep. Both of the Brazilian boys and then Hamilton Ricard scored the 3rd.

2 Likes

Now the Willian blunder was pretty big.

But with the Odegaard and the Ryan signings, I have more faith in Edu than I have in Arteta tbh.

(0.01% of faith is more than 0% kind of thing)

2 Likes

I personally don’t get why this guy is still at the club.

When Ivan deserted arsenal, he left a power vacuum behind which sparked a struggle between Raul and Sven to fill. As a result, Sven was denied promotion to technical director, something that Gazidis promised him before he departed, and Salheli became head of football with Vinai handling the commercial side of things.

Sven losing out his power can be seen with the signing of Denis Suarez. The german was strongly against it, so Emery went over Sven’s head to Salheli to speak. As a result, we got one of the worst loan signings in recent memory.

Now, to further consolidate his power, Raul recruited Edu, who’s much less experienced than Mislintat, to be the technical director, and who was meant to work under Raul and learn his trades. He’s clearly not as experienced as Mislintat and lacks the ability to spot talents, and has to rely on agents as a result. Edu’s was in Raul’s shadows and a way to push Mislintant out formally.

So what are Edu’s real credentials to lead a club like Arsenal? To build a successful squad with a reasonable budget? We won’t have 50m injections from Kroenkes forever to trigger releases clauses for players like Partey. I’m tired of loan signings, I’m tired of Kia’s clients and I’m tired of Chelsea pensioners. Edu does not have a clue.

Now, if we 've cleared the house of Raul, whose interest was not aligned with Arsena;'s best interest, then why is Raul’s filler signing still here?

I just don’t feel like Edu was ever meant to lead us into the new era, nor is he qualified to do so.

4 Likes

All fair questions and I am not going to provide excuses for Edu but up to now but I kinda think he hasn’t done anything offensive enough to be fired.

What I find interesting and would like to know is who is behind the ousting of Huss and the incoming appointment of Garlick. Will be interesting to see if other moves like that play out over time, if people like O’Leary get added at board level and ultimately if Edu is still here in 6/12 months time.

For me the idea of a business head and a football head of the club and each being somewhat equal doesn’t add up and I think we may well see a change in that regard too.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. You raised an interesting point I haven’t thought about.

Do you think Garlick’s appointment and the departure of Huss Fahmy was done as a concerted effort of the board and Kroenkes? I guess time will tell. It would be great to see O’leary joining the board, I feel that Raul blocked his promotion earlier because he was afraid someone will call him out for the overvaluated deals. I feel that once we have a united board with a clear vision, things will finally kick on.

Maybe Edu’s operating on thin ice, and maybe he knows all eyes are on him. Maybe that’s why we’re seeing all those articles praising Edu’s work and partnership with Arteta, those two are just buying time. In a way, the shambolic results must be exposing them and raising red flags to the higher hierarchy at the club.

I think a director of football has a large influence on the team long term, and we should be looking for the right person rather than keep the current one unless he commits a gorss misconduct.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw him replaced.

2 Likes

Basically this. It could just be another random appointment or it could be another cog in an actual plan.

As important as DoF is it won’t work If the rest is a shambles. Garlick seems like a shrewd appointment and a football person, which Huss wasn’t. So I’m hopeful it’s s beginning. But ya know, not too hopeful.

1 Like

:rofl:

11 Likes

If Edu had no part to play anymore, Tim Lewis, the guy who the Kroenke’s appointed last summer on the board, would have made sure he was gone together with Sanllehi and Fahmy after his audit or whatever he did when he came in.

@shamrockgooner he’s also the one who appointed Garlick I reckon. With his back ground in sports law and experience at West Brom in dealing in transfer dealings I guess he’s hired to clean up any discrepancies (which lead to the oustings of Sanllehi and Fahmy) he found.

And ppl are saying it’s a good window, I could give players away for free :joy::joy: pretty sad how not only could Arteta not find a use for them, but also completely tanked any value they had. Kola and Mustafi I could see due to their terrible contracts and covid market…but just look at AMN and Saliba, two doods who were worth at least 40 or 50m (combined) when Arteta took over and he burried them on the bench and has rendered them almost completely worthless as a result, but Arteta is gonna Arteta.

3 Likes

Despite that, it was still a good window

We needed a creative player and a GK. We got the GK.

The rumours for the AM were guys like Isco and Eriksen ffs.

We got Ødegaard! That is good in my book

5 Likes

In terms have squad building though it does absolutely zero for our future, I know it’s hard in Jan but I see it as a kind of nothing window. The no 2 keeper and no 10 option were positions we should have filled in the summer also, it shouldn’t have taken to late Jan.

3 Likes

Actually when I factor the Saliba situation in, you’re right it wasn’t that great.

But I guess it could have been a lot worse

1 Like

Given to both by team Wenger. :man_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

nah nah nah you dont understand, you have to look at gazidis and statdna derp derp derp

2 Likes

Nah uh.