Eddie Nketiah (14)

Try posting Premier League stats. Who gives a toss about Carabao goals vs minnows. Your claim was Martinelli doesn’t score or assist and it was a big, steaming pile of shitty

Oh my God, you’re adding Nketiah’ hattrick to make your point. Shambolic. Martinelli scored 1 more league goal than Sherman Klump despite playing wide and being mismanaged and got 6 more assists. I was unaware that set pieces shouldn’t count towards output until now.

Shall we pretend the Martinelli comment never happened and move on? It’s hard to guess what Balogun’ ceiling is. Hopefully he gets a decent loan.

Had to look up Rustlers burgers. Wouldnt feed it to my pigeon tbh:

6 Likes

Stick a number 14 on it and pretend that it is good enough.

Now we are back on topic.

4 Likes

Yeah sorry haha couldn’t remember the whole story :joy:

Threw you under the bus there mate, sorry pal

2 Likes

I didn’t realise I was going to be taken so literal, but that’s my bad. Martinelli does not score or assist enough. Martinelli played 1000 more Premier League minutes (the equivalent of 11 more games) than Nketiah and managed 1 goal more. They had the same amount of open play goals. When Gabi’s been played as a #9 he’s been unable to impact the game.

Check out Martinelli’s performance versus Chelsea as a #9 and compare that to Eddie’s. In 79 minutes Gabi managed 12 touches, 2 passes (50% success rate), 0 shots and 1 key pass. Eddie played 70 minutes, and managed 38 touches, 11 passes (73.3%), 5 shots, and 0 key passes. Night and day and of course Eddie actually scored…twice.

There’s really nothing to suggest Martinelli being a better option as a centre-forward. I haven’t seen much of Balogun but apparently, he couldn’t match the physicality needed in the Championship.

It’s not that they shouldn’t count. It’s all about providing context for me.

4 Likes

Can’t believe this didn’t get any likes. This fucking place smh

Best post of the entire thread

Hahaha my favourite is posters saying we could win the premier league and these posters would be still negative, like they’ve got a good idea what it would be like. We haven’t got 80 points or come anywhere near winning the league since 2008 :joy:. So I’m not sure where they get that idea.

Posters around on this forum between 2002-2004 can you tell me how negative it was please ?

2 Likes

I’m not the greatest fan of Nketiah, but he’s a naturally good finisher and tries hard.

If extending him means we have the financials to pull off anything near:
Jesus
Tielemans
Fabio Viera
Lisandro Martinez
Raphinha

Then I think he’s perfectly adequate as backup striker

Jesus
Saka Fabio Raphinha
Partey Odegaard
Martinez Gabriel White Tomiyasu
Ramsdale

Turner
Saliba/Holding
Tierney/Cedric
Tielemans/Elneny/Lokonga
ESR
Martinelli
Nketiah

What a potential squad!

5 Likes

That is a great point actually. If signing Eddie allows us to bring in serious talent across the team then I’m all for it.

We’ve already got Viera so of the others, we might get two of them but any more is unlikely.

The striker position is the most important and with Nketiah staying Jesus will probably be the big transfer of the window.

So it could be either Martinez, assuming Saliba isn’t wanted, or Tielemans.

It would be nice to get a top player like Raphina but realistically he’s too expensive and there will be more attractive options for him.

They play different positions so it’s not an either or

Paying £50m for Raphina puts him around the same price we paid for Ben White, Partey and Lacazette and less than what we paid for Pepe and Aubameyang so I don’t see how he’d be seen as “too expensive”

6 Likes

Exactly, per the lineup I posted above he’s comfortable playing leftback, and could also play in midfield so I don’t think Saliba has any bearing on this at all.

I’m confident we’ll sign Jesus and Tielemans, and I think we’ll sign one or two more, just whether it’s Martinez, Raphinha or other options.

1 Like

I am pleased we extended Eddie. It’s uncertain how good he will be but it feels right to take the gamble he could be the next big thing. Played well down the home straight last season and was a clear cut above Lacazette.

Definitely still a gamble but if he continues to progress he could be genuine starting material next season and potentially rival a new signing such as Jesus. But only time will tell.

Not on his own but with Tielemans, Jesus and Viera I don’t think the budget will stretch that far.
Leeds would probably want more than 50m and not sure if he sees us as his first choice either…

Thought that too at first but I dunno, this summer feels different.

2 Likes
1 Like

Not sure about this extension.
Ive seen a lot of Eddie over the seasons and not sure he has what it takes to be our top striker.
That said, if Mikel is planning to change our paying style and go with creative talent in midfield with quick small finisher type strikers then Eddie does suit this mould and we may well see a side to him that we have not yet seen.

1 Like

All the fuss about the number 14.

Theo Walcott wore it and he never ‘deserved’ to be in Henry’s shoes

1 Like