Dennis Bergkamp

£25k a week, £7.5m transfer fee for an elite player 26 years ago haha.

Pf. Might as well have had a 9 to 5, at least he’d have been able to enjoy the little things in life.

4 Likes

Maybe you’re thinking of this Ljungberg goal?

Yeah, absolutely insane to pull that off against Juve’s defence, against Montero to be precise… Looked as if he was playing against kids.
Yeah, you’ll never see players like that again.
One of my favourite assists ever and surely one of my very favourite Bergkamp moves too.

8 Likes

That’s the one!! Yeah when I think of Bergkamp, it’s the bear cum goal and this, more than the Newcastle goal.

1 Like

Great compilation, has some rare footage of his passing and assists. Some goals in there too.

Magician.

4 Likes

Third best Dutch ever behind crujiff and van basten? There could be others, is niiskens up there too I remember his name but not sure of his career?

1 Like

You’ve got Gullit and Rijkaard too who won the Euros in 88 as well as enjoying huge club success. Seedorf also in the picture.

But in terms of pure footballing technique and skill, he’s above them. Cruyff untouchable as the greatest but DB10 would deservedly be in a lot of people’s top 3’s.

6 Likes

When I was a kid and Cruyff played for the Diplomats, along with Alan Green… there was a special event that he scheduled (I guess pathetically marketed) where Cruyff went to the National Cathedral in DC for a signing event and I got to meet him, take pictures with him, and of course get autograph - it was sparsely attended from what I recall, which is just tragic, but to my benefit. Will never forget the memory - sadly, I suspect my parents lost the pic and signatures along the way :sob:

4 Likes

I was watching a rerun of the Arsenal v ManUre game at Highbury from the 2004/05 season last night. (Only the first half, obviously)

Bergkamp, in particular, was immense. He was playing like a man possessed. We ought to have been 3 or 4 up by HT.

5 Likes

Grim 2-4 it ended didn’t it ? Ronaldo brace ? I remember it was in early Feb and was a midweek game.

1 Like

Yes, we couldn’t live with Ronaldo in the second half. He switched flanks and gave Lauren a torrid time.

We should have had a penalty in the first half with Silvestre going in late on Pires. Very poor officiating all round from Poll

Even their first equaliser was gifted to them.

That title should have been ours. Anyone with a soft spot for Chelsea wants to see what financial doping can do for a club and how it tears away from the very fabric of competition.

1 Like

A combination of injuries / us bottling 02/03 and Roman coming along cost us what could have been an absolute dynasty between 02-05.

2 Likes

Yeah I mean these three make many top teams of all time really… I just think maybe db10 as you say has a higher unique skill levels the way he saw the game was different to most, only similar people I know is laudrup and totti for the intelligent, complete chance creation two/three passes ahead by the pass made by the original player (db10 etc)

1 Like
11 Likes

Miss him.

“One more year, one more year.” I remember the chant well. At the time I was so afraid he was going to retire and the thought of him not playing anymore made me so unhappy. Haven’t had that with any other player since.

He then signed on and we had him for another year, a year full of cameos, but still producing so much magic.

What a player.

8 Likes

That third goal is something incredible, the close control of the ball is insane!

2 Likes

Dennis Bergkamp’s daughter is pregnant. That will mean our 1995-1998 strike force will both be grandfathers. Ian Wright has been one for 18+ years.

4 Likes

Donny trying to birth the prince that was promised.

Fair play.

6 Likes

It doesn’t get much better than that.
He’s got a good looking wife and his father-in-law is Denis Bergkamp. :grinning:

well he might prefer to be not benched

1 Like