Dennis Bergkamp

Most tension racked final day for Arsenal I can remember was 1995/96. (I include 1998/99 in that estimation because for me, the league was done)

Four teams were vying for that final UEFA Cup spot on the final day. Each of them had that spot at different points during the 90 mins due to results going their way. The Bergkamp strike v Bolton made that place our own, though :blush:

2 Likes

Happy birthday, you legend.

13 Likes
5 Likes

PL Hall of Fame is so American. It also works on the assumption football was created in 1992

7 Likes

I have a very big dislike for the concept too, the PL having been trying desperately to Americanise the league for more appeal in overseas markets.

It doesnā€™t feel appropriate English football plus it will disproportionately reflect players of top clubs. Whereā€™s the appreciation for cult heros of the league who may not have had sustained impact?

Iā€™m remember as a kid watching premier league years on sky sports, looking back itā€™s the best way to consume nostalgia

6 Likes

Perhaps my memory has been clouded by the mists of my youth, but I never remember Bergkamp kicking up a fuss or entertaining rumours about leaving Arsenal. On the other hand, I remember guys like Vieira and Overmars who tainted their legacies a little by being non-committal about their futures.

I doubt Arsenal will ever again have a player of Bergkampā€™s calibre who will stay with us for over 10 years. The last great testimonial.

The thing that makes me so proud is that we werenā€™t just lucky to have him, he was also lucky to have us. 3 league titles in an era of United dominance is quite special. Could have been more, too.

Bergkamp defines the Wenger era more than any other player for me, as he was there at the beginning of that great Wenger cycle, and also there at itā€™s end when we left Highbury. The word ā€œlegendā€ was made for men like him.

13 Likes

To be fair to the Iceman he already tried the big move and big club with Inter and it didnā€™t seem to be a great time for him (He wrote about his time at Inter I think?). He found a club (and manager in Wenger eventually) that appreciated his talents.

1 Like

What a fabulous player . Loved Dennis .
Possibly one of , if not the greatest players ever to play for The Arsenal.

4 Likes

A common misconception. A great first 2 and a half seasons with Arsene then he fell out of favour.

Indeed, by the time of the 2001 FA Cup Final there was a considerable thought that it would be Bergkamp and Fowlerā€™s last game for their respective clubs.

The rest, in Bergkampā€™s case, is history.

2 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
18 Likes

Legend

Was the fee Ā£7.5m or Ā£11.5, I always remember it as being the former

2 Likes

I think it was just over 7m, which was a record transfer fee for us.
We also bought Platt for 4m as well.

Yea I was just saying this in some other thread a couple weeks back that I only ever remember seeing 7.5 reported but thereā€™s two articles with the higher number. I see one of them says ā€œpackageā€ though so guessing they are including wages too which they report at 25k a week.

1 Like

Seems only like yesterday we signed him up !? Good days !!

1 Like

Ā£18 per matchā€¦take me back :sob:

1 Like

Watching this, and thinking to that Pires? Goal against Juventus where Bergkamp lobs the ball over the defenders with the outside, I think heā€™s possibly the best outside of the foot passer ever. A niche as hell thing to be good at, but he absolutely excels at it like no other I can think of.

1 Like

Probably, it does work out to be Ā£12.7m if you calculate 25k a week over 4 years plus the Ā£7.5m fee