Dennis Bergkamp

Amen to that!

People will always say it’s a fluke but for me you just have to look at the way he flicks it over then instinctively runs in the same direction he’s flicked it in, for me, he definitely knew what he was doing.

1 Like

Anybody who thinks that goal was a fluke is being incredibly disingenuous. Outrageously intentional.

8 Likes

Pires used to say Bergkamp did it in training all the time

1 Like

Bergkamp himself said he expected a through ball from Pires, although looking at the situation I don’t think that pass was possible. Pires always makes the best choice. :hipster:

Looking at the goal knowing that explains a lot.

He was making the forward run from deep, stopped a little/turned when he realised the ball wasn’t going in front of him, it was going to his feet. But he never stop completely, I think he just wanted to finish the whole move quickly, not breaking the momentum of it and that’s why he came up with such a move.

8 Likes

Then Wiltord does that :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What a genius

4 Likes

Wright Bergkamp Henry :heart:

My favourite Arsenal player ever

2 Likes

Barely celebrating as if it’s nothing. Casual bastard. What a player.

11 Likes

You played in Mexico with Chicharito and Cuauhtémoc Blanco, with Robin van Persie and Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri at Arsenal. You played with Antoine Griezmann at Real Sociedad. So who’s the best player you’ve ever played with?
That’s a hard question. One of the guys I always say was crazy good — and I never played with him, but I was training with him — was Dennis Bergkamp. Everything he did was like, ‘Wow!’ Every time he touched the ball it was like magic.

7 Likes

Nothing I love more in football than a precisely executed chip that arcs its way over keeper from distance. It’s always felt like the apex of the beautiful game to me, artistic and deft, relying on technical ability rather than athleticism. I love a mazy dribbled goal or a thirty five yard rocket, don’t get me wrong, but the chip has always felt like the purest expression of elite attacking ability to me.

4 Likes

Should bring him in as the dof. Either him or Henry. Henry actually sold me when I heard he turned off the TV and wouldn’t even watch Arsenal when Xhaka came out as captain :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Still don’t know how after all these years this man isn’t involved in our setup somehow, every Arsenal kid coming through our ranks should see what this man is capable of with a ball.

1 Like

:grin:

9 Likes

A real Bergkamp goal too that one.

1 Like
3 Likes

Interesting Bergy did a pre-season with us without having a contract at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNL9Xsa4CUc