Darren Burgess

After he left basically everybody but Wilshere got an extension…in stead of trimming squad wages. The new regime is responsible for our current predicament.

He bought the majority of this terrible squad.

Did he also gave everybody an extension last summer? Stuck with Xhaka for another four years now lol.

1 Like

Darren Burgess is one of the best figure in the sport sciences and the decision to sack him has surprised me a lot because was rated very highly all over the world.

I hope Raul and Emery have a plan, a clear vision and know what they want.

2 Likes

I meant the last decade or basically the Emirates era, so the point stands.

Good blog by arseblog today on Burgess. He hints/speculates that it could be a cost-cutting measure amongst other cost-cutting measures by the club.

Unai brought his own strengths and conditioning coach and there’s also Shad Forsythe present. Burgess was eating up wage.

Below excerpt is from January.

The reality of Arsenal’s 100% ownership by KSE has begun to manifest itself with a communication to all departments asking them to make savings wherever possible.

Arseblog News is aware that an email was sent looking for cost saving measures to be implemented across all areas of the club, and it comes in the wake of news that January transfer funds will be extremely limited.

1 Like

Is that also why the masseuse has been given the boot?

4 Likes

FFS. Arseblog is so full of shite.

I bet the performance staff wages don’t even amount in a year to what we pay ozil in.a month.

It’s much more logical the new manager wasn’t happy with performances levels after his first season

2 Likes

Blogs mentions that it may be performance related too. Long term injuries to Welbeck, Holding and Bellerin come to mind. Disagreement on with whether Ramsey should play versus Napoli. Emery taking Ramsey’s word over the medical staffs.

Injuries that Welbeck, Bellerin & Holding suffered are pretty much unavoidable, it’s soft tissue problems that Burgess should be judged on.

1 Like

Do you know how the club fared on that front?

It’s certainly true we can attract the top managers, for all the reasons you say, but the problem is good managers want financial backing and not the sort of constraints our board would put on them.

Our board are lazy and complacent and will only do the bare minimum.
Ambition and investment are dirty words for Kroenke so we will never get a genuine elite manager.

So although we are an attractive proposition on paper, the reality is we have an owner that is very unattractive to the top managers in Europe.

1 Like

So what? KSE sent an email about departments cost cutting where possible. None of those departments would be able to cut costs that equal what Ozil gets paid in a month, yet our owners still wanted them to do it.

I don’t understand your logic here. If the money saved isn’t similar to what we pay Ozil, then we aren’t interested in saving the money?

I’d say that the fact that we quite likely can’t shift the wages of players like Ozil and Mkhi would probably make us even keener to cut what we can elsewhere.

1 Like

Well the actual email was never produced so even if it was sent there’s no indication of context the email was sent in and there’s no evidence the email came from KSE as a result of a direct imperative from Stan taking full ownership.

If transfer info and exclusives can get out easy enough you’d think the actual email widely circulated to all club departments would have leaked by now right?

To date no mainstream sport journalists have touched this email cost saving story or confirmed its accuracy. Arseblog is the only entity pushing the cost saving angle. That’s because he’s using the strong anti KSE sentiment amongst Arsesnal fans to drive clicks to his blog site.

I think it’s fake news to some degree.

My logic is that its stupid to link the dismissal of Burgess as a cost saving measure when Arsenal are a multi-million pound business and one of the the biggest spenders of wages (both playing and non playing stuff) in sport.

The simple truth is that Emery wasn’t happy for Burgess to remain here because he was unsatisfied with his performance is alot more plausible than we need need to cost save and we can’t retain Burgess.

This is likely true regarding this specific situation, but I do believe that the infamous “cost-cutting email” was probably sent.

It was first reported in early January and pretty soon afterwards we had Emery’s press conference where he pointedly said that he could only do loan deals, and that’s exactly how January went. I don’t think it’s conspiratorial to suggest that there may have been a link there, because if cost-cutting measures were to be taken, theres no way that the football wouldn’t have been involved in that.

If its “the simple truth” I assume you have something to back this up then. I thought we were all chatting based on speculation… Edit: think I might have misread this part, seems you were saying that the simple truth is that one is more likely than the other.

Regarding him using anti-KSE sentiment to drive traffic to his blog, he’s basically one of the most successful sports bloggers out there, and hands down the most popular Arsenal one. I’ve read him for years and don’t think he needs, or would chose, to clickbait people into following him. Not really his MO.

But you know, I don’t need to go into bat for him, and I don’t think Burgess has necessarily been let go as a cost cutting measure. Based on what little we all know, I’d be inclined to lean the same way that you are. I just don’t think it needs to be dismissed out of hand. I also felt like he was just positing a theory based on what he hears, so it feels a bit much to label it fake news, as my perception of him has never been that he’s trying to be an ITK. He hasn’t always claimed to have some sources at the club, for years he never said anything like that. Only when his blog, podcast and news site became very prominent did he occasionally talk about whisperings he’s heard, and it makes some sense that he actually has some inside info once people realised he is as a big voice in the online world of Arsenal.

2 Likes

Fair enough response, all I’d say is after reading the article again it feels like classic click bait all media use.

An article with insider information about the club accompanied by zero evidence padded out with transfer news filler, it’s definitely click bait in my eyes. If the same content came from the Mirror, Express or Daily Star most arsenal fans would consider it BS

Because Arseblog has been covering the club and he may have sources that means his word is more reliable? Don’t buy it, either he or his sources are full of shit on this particular occasion.

If the actual email was produced then I gladly keep quiet, other than that it’s not something that can be used as truth or spoken as fact. It’s fake news to me in the sense that unverified information is being spun to craft a false/misleading narrative that we’re saving costs across the board, when in reality we’re the one of richest the world and spend like one

In answer to your question, yes. If he has sources he’s more reliable than someone who doesn’t, I’d have thought that was an obvious fact? But that doesn’t mean he’s right all the time obviously, his sources will be wrong sometimes.

I have to put my hands up though and say that maybe I’ve made a mistake and am referring to the wrong piece, I read the one you posted and can better see what you mean. I read his actual blog, and that’s mostly all I do read in terms of his stuff these days.

If you read this I think you’ll better understand the nature of my post, just as I totally get what you mean having read the “article” you just linked.

I don’t buy it.

Sanllehi directly outlined in October that it’s bad policy to buy in the winter window.

I don’t believe much in the winter window. There are exceptions. But if you have the right planification (sic) in the summer and the team are performing at the level you expect, you should not go to that window or try to avoid it.

It’s there for emergencies, a big injury or if something is really not working and you need to recover there. I give much more importance to the summer windows.

When Welbeck season ended with injury he added in Novemeber:

We are very sad for Danny and he knows he has all the support from the club. Yes, that makes you consider things.

I am not saying that’s a green light to go to the market but we have good players in the house also that may get further opportunities like Eddie Nketiah for example.

We need to see. We are in November so it’s a good time to start analysing what options we have in the market. We are not closing the door but it’s still not the preferred one.

The plans were made in the summer. We are happy with how things are going. We are always going to strive to be the best team we can be.

If there is a very good opportunity we are definitely going to consider, we will see. Danny Welbeck’s injury alters, in a way, the views.

We end up reportedly chasing Perisic and Carrasco but end with Denis, these are all players capable of playing on the wing in order to replace Welbeck.

Only pursuing loans is January is the kind of smart and effective policy we’ve been crying out for. The most annoying thing that going to happen is that common sense frugal moves will be regarded as “cost saving” by fans moving forward after years of reckless spending by Wenger

We didn’t get common sense deals though; we got Denis Suarez. I agree that Wenger (and whoever else may have had a hand in transfers late in his reign) spent very poorly, but that can’t stop us from spending as we move forward.

I don’t think there are many players available in January that would improve us but quite frankly I’m sure we could have found a CB for a low fee that would have come in and done a job much better than Mustafi and Monreal who had to play there once we had injuries mid-season. We could have shown a little more ambition imo

1 Like