Daniel Ek

I think you do, traditionally most clubs have utilised former players. And Barce, Ajax, Bayern all still do. While Real and Man United have ex players as managers

2 Likes

The fact that they get the jobs easier doesn’t mean you need them.

Those three clubs are more exemption than rule anyway. Barcelona had their big resurgence under Laporta with the help of former players but not by former players. Van der Sar had a two year internship basically before he got the CEO role. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to appoint former players, but there is a lot more involved than just that.

For coaching? I don’t have an issue, many of the names ACM mentioned have been involved with the coaching ranks at Arsenal at one point

Senior management positions should strictly be appointed by merit rather than hopeful punts on ex players who otherwise wouldn’t get close to the club without that connection

Even in senior management. Monchi, Zorc and Begiristain basically went from the pitch directly to management positions. I’ve said it before but there isn’t really a profile to go on tbh.

Arsenal do not need to faff around like this. We have the resources and reputation to poach already known executives with a proven body of work.

If we swapped Edu for Campos or Rangnick tomorrow, it would be the most rational move we made in ages, no one would complain

2 Likes

The goes for every big club. But even a club like Bayern hires Salihamidzic who has no prior experience. Why do clubs do that?

Henry when he wouldn’t even watch the club with Xhaka as captain, sold me that he knows enough to help the club out. Bergkamp and Henry should definitely be involved instead of shit heads like Sir Chips Keswick and or whatever fucking forehead they have on the board that’s never proven anything in the world of football.

3 Likes

Apples to Oranges - Bayern enjoy a historic domination over German football and can afford to integrate former players into their senior management without the pressure of competition for playing or coaching talent. Plus the “values” of the club are alot more clearly defined to the point where it doesn’t require individual talent to steer them in the right direction.

1 Like

They have always worked like that tho…its weird that none of the big clubs went out and got people like Campos or Rangnick in their set up. Maybe they’ll get their chance this summer. I don’t expect us to make that move.

I assume it’s because those doods require a certain level of autonomy that these big club pricks don’t allow for because of the power they have to give up and the decision makers won’t get any credit when things go right but all the blame if things go wrong. It’s about politics for most of these doods, not really winning.

3 Likes

:pepe1:

3 Likes

See the argument @sevchenko et Al make is sound.

But also, I agree with this.

Also, I know with Henry, Vieira etc. There is a base fucking standard.

I know if they were in charge, Arteta wouldn’t have job security after having us 11th, that’s for sure.

As long as they aren’t coaches, have roles like Valdano did for RM, The Bayern guys have for them, I wouldn’t be repulsed by the idea.

I would like some fan ownership.

Ek should try involving the fans in any consortium, to then have them have shares as well, if that’s what’s needed to get him over the top to appease the Kroenkes.

2 Likes

Everytime I’ve heard Vieira or Henry talk they come across like shallow idiots. Being a generational great means absolutely zero when it comes to running a football club. Wenger probably knows more about that side than both of those two put together and I don’t want Wenger anywhere near the board.

This ploy by Ek is incredibly off putting, he comes across as someone who doesn’t back himself to run the enterprise so he’s cashing in on names from the most recent era to gain traction and brownie points with the youngest generation of Arsenal fans.

It’s all razzle dazzle to try and hide the fact he probably knows next to zero about how he’s going to take this club forward.

7 Likes

Kroenke would never, ever, ever signal willingness to buy until they are pulling the trigger, so any public statements are pretty meaningless… my guess is that it would have to be a ridiculous offer to compel them, but this is the absolutely perfect time, just being rebuffed by ESL and watching the Glazers get trashed…

For no good reason, I would love to see Ek come in and take over, but I would give it 10:1 at best.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can understand these concerns.

1 Like

I’m not so sure. He needs to convince Kroenke to sell, which is tricky, and rallying support behind his might help. Bringing Vieira and Henry on board in some symbolic role might be just a strategy to do that, without any intention of giving them any kind of major (ie, non-symbolic) role at the club afterward.

A common truism in the tech startup/venture capital world is that you invest in people, not in ideas: any asshole can have an idea, successful companies and startups are led by successful people who have a vision of how to beat their competition and a plan for executing that vision. My guess is that somebody who comes out of that world isn’t planning to make Thierry Henry his Director of Football.

2 Likes

How else would you describe the concepts of Arsenal “DNA” and “identity”?

These are purely subjective terms based on fluff, what’s more laughable is the likes of Henry and Vieira etc thinking they’re some sort of gatekeepers of the Arsenal “way”. Infact these guys avoided the club when given chances to develop here

If Ek is really serious I want some hard questions asked about his plans.

3 Likes

Agreed on your overall point but Henry was on staff here and as far as I’m aware Vieira never got an offer from us but did from City group. Wouldn’t hold that against them myself.

2 Likes

Hiring former players gives fans a sense of belongings, a feeling of the past that connected to present… and of course when you talk about Henry, Bergkamp and Vieira, we are talking about winning, the invincible.
That were history and traditions that most fans want to get back to.
That kind of football was the reason why I paid attention to Arsenal, till Per and Poldi joining the club and as a fan.
What culture and process Arteta mentioned were just pure shit and empty promises.

Bayern also have absolutely zero “values” beyond being a total meat grinder and getting in bed with Qatar.