Current Best Coach (Top 5)

Wait till Poch fluke his teams (more than one team) into the CL finals 3 times (and one consecutive), then we can continue this comparison.

I’ve not even mentioned Liverpool’s knock out ties

So is Mourinho the best coach in the world right now? Or Zidane?

The comparison between Poch and Klopp is closer than you think. Not just because of past years’ CL final appearances.

Maureen was out of the discussion of being the best coach for a long time.
He failed when he returned to Real, he failed when he managed United.

I am still waiting to see Zidane to win something important without Ronaldo.

Better is better, doesn’t matter how big or small the gap is.
One is already a CL Champion and playing some football that is as good as all other powerhouse, and one can only get into the CL final once.
Better is just better.

Never imagined I’d see Allan Mcnish used as a GIF on OA :laughing:

2 Likes
  • Guardiola
  • Klopp
  • Simeone
  • ten Hag
  • Tuchel

Who is top of the Premier League right now? :smiley:

2 Likes

Not necessarily. This is the point I’m making. If Arsenal appointed Klopp right now, and he wanted money to spend in excess of 100mil, a very real answer the board would give him is “we haven’t got it”. Not sure how well Klopp would operate without money.

Poch, on the other hand, has coped without money and if we’re going to use CL finals as a measure of success, he’s managed to get to a CL final without signing a single player for 18 months.

It’s speculation and opinion, of course, but I’d maintain that Poch is the best coach in the Premiership given what he’s done. (I don’t think Pep and Klopp could do with Spurs what Poch has done, for example)

1 Like

Poch isn’t close to being brave enough to out perform Klopp.
That front three at Liverpool were only decent signings he has improved each one of them and has Salah hitting WC numbers.

No one has Unai Emery in their top 5 :cry:

The board do.

I might actually remove Pochettino from my number 5 spot. I think it’s a fair assessment to judge a coach based on his achievements and consecutively achieving Top 4 is not a price. At the end of the day his team is strong enough to have won at least some decent trophies, but he didn’t.

1 Like

I hope not, and I hope it was only Lord Varys

Because he didn’t won the FA Cup he is lesser? They were never good enough to win the Premier League or the Champions League.

But, for that reason he shouldn’t be in my top 5 of best coaches. I think one needs to actually have won something at least. Look - it’s great he gets top 4 every year, although last year by a thread, but on that matter his squad is strong enough and not that special of an achievement.

The point is though they should be good enough to win a domestic trophy and he and they continually fail.
At the moment Poch is a Rolls Royce version of David Moyes who balanced the books on limited resources.
First big job and was found out I don’t see him being much better. Like him Moyes failed in cups when in a good position to deliver.
Need pedigree if you move on for players to believe in.

1 Like
  1. Guardiola
  2. Klopp
  3. Tuchel
  4. Conte
  5. Naglesmann/Poch

Those are the top 6 for me. Simeone has an insane body of work but has declined in recent years and isn’t in the top echelon anymore.

2 Likes

It’s funny I agree El Cholo has declined although he still may well win La Liga this season. Admittedly the Barca and Real sides aren’t as strong as years gone by.

Where would you rank Gasperini out of interest ATM ? Given his work at Atalanta last couple of seasons.

High. On a resources/wage spent to results ratio he would arguably be right at the top over the last 3-4 years. The fact he’s repeated the top 4 seasons whilst being in european competition also a big plus, lots of smaller teams can do it for a season and then drop off significantly trying to balance Europe.

Not sure what the knock on him is, but he seems underrated. He’s older and has been around a while, reminds me of Sarri in some ways.

2 Likes

It’s hard to rank them as coaches when Guardiola has far more resources than the likes of Klopp, Conte and Tuchel. What would he do without those resources?