Cristiano Ronaldo

haha

Fair play Bruno, fair play.

Getting mugged off by the Korean army of Son, could never be my GOAT.

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t make sense to me. He would have received this contract if he stayed with United for another 6 months.

Not sure whatā€™s your point. You donā€™t understand why he wanted to leave?

For Ronaldo to dish on Manchester United for a mere span of 5-6 months, it has to make sense from the footballing perspective.
I would presume he was not getting offers from top European clubs. Those clubs wouldnā€™t be willing to take on his wages as well as pay a transfer fee to United.
Ronaldo being a free agent now opens him up to clubs who wonā€™t mind getting in a 20+ goals striker.

Financially, he would have received the same offer from Saudi in June 2023.
I donā€™t see a need for him to go nuclear on Manchester United for that offer.

2 Likes

Well, you hit the nail on the head there.

Gab Marcotti recently said the big blocker last summer was that Ronaldo wasnā€™t willing to take a considerable pay cut and Man Utd did expect a transfer fee of sorts too which meant only a handful of clubs could satisfy both Man Utd and Ronaldo.

I think the biggest reason did this though was to just get all the frustration out of his system and end the chapter Man Utd before the WC started.

Man Utd were gonna look to move him on anyway this January. I guess this prevented a scenario where Man Utd decided to stick with Ronaldo until the end of the season as backup.
Thereā€™s no way Ronaldo would cope with that.

Some said he doesnā€™t sit well on seeing Messi and Benzema (maybe more) are still playing high level CL football.
He could be on any CL team if he is willing to lower his demand, which he absolutely can do.

Not so sure. Itā€™s an ego thing rich people and players have.
Remember Song saying he used to be pissed when other players were getting more than him.
Can you imagine Ronaldo accepting not being one of the highest paid players around.
At the very least now heā€™ll ask to be the highest paid player of his new club or even league.

it is all on him.
More glory or more money, either or, canā€™t be both.

sometimes people just make unreasonable decisionsā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Reminds me of situations in the NFL when the elite older winning QBs and other attractive positional players drop their wage demands to help the teams and franchises.

Ronaldo and other footballers never seem to do anything close to it.

Kobe did not do it, Lebron did not do it.
I donā€™t see Peyton Manning nor Tom Brady did it.
Baseball players getting max contracts all the time, never heard of anybody trimming down their contract for the benefit of the club.

I think when you are really top dog, alpha of the alphaā€¦ you just donā€™t do that.

Brady was the only guy to do that because his (ex) wife was richer than him lol

Most of these dudes take the money and cash out. Most recently applies to Aaron Rodgers, packers are in the toilet now

Youā€™d think heā€™d want one last run at a SB wouldnā€™t you? Dude take the max ffs

2 Likes

Fair enough
I dont keep up with all stories from NFL being across the pond its sometimes difficult, but thought id read a few stories over the years of players accepting reduced pay in their deals.

If he goes to the Saudi Arabia farmers league, heā€™ll score more than double that. :grinning:

Brady did it for the best part of 10 years lol, he couldā€™ve always left and got more money but he took lower pay to help the team.

1 Like

It isnā€™t simply about the money though

The fact is his already bruised ego couldnā€™t handle another six months of perceived limited importance and standing within the team which to him was ā€œdisrespectfulā€, there was no way he was going to stick out another half season of that. He could stand it as much as he could stand being thrown into a huge container of boiling water.

Ronaldo seeing this:

1 Like

Would you entertain a 6 month deal on the condition that Arteta is consulted about this first and he makes his intentions clear to Ronaldo on what his role would be?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Iā€™d rather Dusan

1 Like