Cost of Living

Fuck man I forget how expensive it is when you live a bit further out.

My friend had a one bed flat in Richmond for £1850 pcm with a 1.5 hour commute in total to work and he and his girlfriend felt it was too expensive and ended up finding a 3 bed 2 bath house in a village outside Reading for £1600pcm. Quids in right?

Except now his commute is 3 hours a day and he actually spends more money on trains and rent than he used just living in Richmond. And more often than not I get messages in my group chat from him raging about train strikes or train delays due to signalling issues and him being stuck at Paddington for an additional hour or two lol we did try to warn him though :person_shrugging:t3:

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

London is disgustingly overpriced

Met this American in Jamaica and she told me she pays $1000 a month for 2 bed, 2 bathroom in Vegas. And not in them shitty towns surrounding Vegas either. Literally in Vegas.

America obviously has plenty of extremely expensive areas too but London is just so overpriced for what we get lol

I definitely can’t live here much longer

Yeah I was about to say, rent is just as bad if not worse in cities like LA, Chicago, San Francisco, New York, etc. than London.

You definitely get more bang for your buck in terms of the suburbs in America though.

$2m goes a lot further in Chicago burbs than London burbs for sure.

1 Like

The issue I have with England is there isn’t really an alternative to London that appeals to me. I’m not a fan of the North, and life seems quite dry further down South. The less said about the Midlands the better

Plenty of lovely places in the UK, just nowhere I’d want to live. I feel like there are a lot more states and cities in America worth living in than there are cities in the UK I’d want to live in.

The crazy thing about Dubai is that it was so cheap to rent in for years. And buying was easy and cheap too. Even last summer I did a month in an Airbnb (2 bed, 2 bathroom for £1300 total) so I imagine rental price would have been about £800.

But when I look now it’s basically hitting London prices in many of the areas that used to be cheap to live in.

Feel like rental prices are spiralling out of control across the world really

1 Like

How far outside Reading is it? My friend lives in Reading and gets to Paddington in about 25 minutes.

Maybe they’ve picked a really expensive area. Even with travel costs into London, it’s still A LOT cheaper for me to live where I do on the outskirts than to live anywhere half decent in London.

1 Like

I think it’s a place called Woolhampton or something? He needs to get a train to Reading, then Reading to Paddington then Paddington to Monument.

A friend’s dad bought a house in the center of Amsterdam for € 80.000 in the 90s. Now the house is worth over 1 million.

So it’s easy for that generation to talk crap about our generation and the even younger one. They had ample opportunity whereas we need to be really lucky to have a) rich parents to help us out buy property, b) earn ridiculous well wages to afford buying a house and c) move to buttfuck nowhere to be able to buy a house.

So what’s left is renting and it’s keeping average salaried young people poor and dependent.

5 Likes

It really is difficult to get on the property ladder. If you’re prepared to move to North or South Yorkshire, you can find a two or three bedroom house for 60-80k.I couldn’t do it.

1 Like

Text message from Mobile provider saying phone bill is going up 14.4% plus 3.9% for CPI.
As if they needed the excuse the cunts.
Small in the grand scheme of things but just add more to the bottom line.

3 Likes

Absolutely, mate.

My car insurance cost me in the region of 720 a few weeks back.

Fish and chips is costing about 8 quid now too.

2 Likes

Had my Internet provider telling me it’s going up 7 quid extra a month soon. Cunts.

3 Likes

That’s cheap mate, it’s £12 this way because they think cooking in beef fat warrants the extra cost, I don’t ever have fish and chips from a chippy, it’s borderline extortion, when it’s nearly the same price as eating it in a restaurant.

Thing is, I know as well that a portion of fish is probably only costing them £1.50-£1.70 tops,and the chips 20p and 10p for batter , that’s over an 80% mark up.

My cars up for renewal soon too, not overly excited about that :rofl:

3 Likes

My gym is another con, mate.

They said they’re closing off the jacuzzis permanently now due to, ironically, the energy crisis.

Have our membership fees been reduced as a result? Have they fuck.

I’d probably go back to COVID lockdown workouts that I used to share on here. Found it was giving me better stamina than gym classes.

1 Like

Funny how the price of everything goes up with inflation - apart from public sector workers…

And then the idiots get pissed off at you for pushing back against a paycut and using real terms figures.

5 Likes

ID Mobile? Same over here. I didn’t even realise they could change the price of a contracted amount.

The other problem with this price hikes, is once it’s implemented, those prices are never going down.

5 Likes

My internet provider worded the increase as: “your prices will be changing.”
Well they’re right, it certainly is changing, it’s going up to around £9 more.
They didn’t give a reason but it’s probably something to do with the war in Ukraine and a poor harvest.

As for Sainsbury’s, I don’t know how they manage to price up their produce and keep a straight face.

1 Like

Bought a small pack of nappies in Aldi a week ago for 79p, go back today and it’s now 85p.

We’re getting fucked from every direction these days lol

1 Like

Maybe because it was only one generation that was able to buy a house, the averaged waged generations before never bought houses either they always rented. Most people in many countries rent it’s the norm,and the people that do own their houses have inherited them.
Dunno what you’re complaining for anyway you’re self employed so you could live anywhere and you’re making millions off Tesla :slightly_smiling_face:

Literally just got an email saying that my broadband is going up by £6.85 a month :joy:

2 Likes