Cost of Living

When’s it gonna end Robbie?

1 Like

Absolute madness.

I’d like to think we could use this thread to a positive effect (e.g. make recommendations on the cheapest energy suppliers, etc)

At the minute, it all just doesn’t bear thinking about :pensive:

1 Like

Nationalising energy wouldn’t be a bad place to start for dealing with this crisis. The big problem with privatisation is that it drives the need for profit for shareholders at all times and during a crisis like this you need to eliminate the need for profit and replace it with the need to care for people

8 Likes

The effect this as had on my mum is horrible. She wont use an electric fan now in this heat. Its worrying with the next hike coming and stress leads to mental health issues and somehow doesnt get the coverage it needs.
Im not sure what its going to take but surely an outcry or upheaval will happen soon.

8 Likes

In February my two year fixed rate mortgage from when I originally got my flat ended and went onto a base rate one so its went up every month apart from April and May. :joy: I finally changed it back to a fixed one as September it was going up again and I cba’d it increasing again :joy:

1 Like

Can people even get fixed rate electricity bills now? Ours came to an end and variable seemed to be the only option now.

1 Like

The worry with nationalising (here at least) is the quality of the service. A powercut costs the big companies serious money - they’ll fix it. A powercut on a nationalised system might take longer to sort. That’s a surface level example, but there are others.

I’m for nationalising essential services and supplies BTW, but it would only be a matter of time before cuts are made which lower the standard of the product. The NHS is a key example of this. Is it amazing that this service runs off taxpayers money? Yes. Has the level of resourcing dropped significantly? Yes.

1 Like

That’s horrible. I don’t think fans are the biggest consumers of electricity, but triple the price is triple the price. I’ve tried to look into what the most expensive appliances are as I must admit I’d never given it massive thought before this.

1 Like

That’s disgusting and no doubt this is the reality that many are facing.

Have a look at Money Savings Expect which is the Martin Lewis website. Good article on there…
Martin Lewis: Is it time to fix my energy bill or should I stick on the price cap?

2 Likes

It’s truly stupid. I earn decent money as a teacher several years into my career, and I won’t dare turn the heating on this winter.I’m lucky to have that option, I live alone and I’m healthy enough to do it. My wage is the better part of double the national average. God knows how some of the families of kids I teach will manage.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, unfortunately :pensive:

Sure, but there is a big difference here. There is a private healthcare service, so making cuts to the NHS doesn’t affect the affluent that much.

You don’t have the same thing with resources like electric, water etc. All that runs off of the same infrastructure.

2 Likes

The NHS has also been strategically defunded and broken down by successive Tory governments.

1 Like

Of course. The Tories dream of having a healthcare system like the US, where people like them can get rich off of the misery of people’s health.

1 Like

Yep without a doubt. Schools are such a good barometer for measuring what goes on in society. People who work in them have the best understanding of the real world.
Thankfully the uniform policy and forward thinking of affordable purchasing by schools helps a lot now.

The Gov don’t give a shit about anyone. Rich stay rich, the poor suffer. Nothing new here.

This country is full of pussies. There should be fucking riots.

5 Likes

I wonder if finally we will see some this winter.

This is just unacceptable

The French would already be rioting lol.

They cant win a war for shit, but their people are experts in fucking up their government’s shit when it feels necessary haha

7 Likes

Anyone noticed fuel prices have gone down in the last fortnight? Not quite the 170p per litre for diesel we were used to, but it’s far better than the 2 quid per litre we were approaching

1 Like