Cost of Living

Buy a gingerbread house, problem solved :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really don’t think @Calum was even remotely trying to undermine anyone so I don’t know why you’re pushing this one lol

2 Likes

Fascinating stuff again.

They’re not joking when they say it’s extremely stressful.
Did mine through Covid, what a fuckin palava. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I personally don’t want a mortgage tying me down to this country right now.

2 Likes

In most cases a mortgage is preferable to renting, but in the current market I totally wouldn’t be opposed to rent if I didn’t already have a mortgage.

I got my house with a mortgage at 1.3% (!), currently the mortgage rate increased to 6% in The Netherlands. If I had to buy now, I probably wouldn’t and would wait instead.

1 Like

It must be gutting for people who were right on the verge of buying for the first time.

1 Like

I am sure it is - the housing market for the first time in years contracted over here. Due to the high interest rates people simply cannot afford to buy a house right now.

And many I am sure decided to rent for now and wait for better opportunity to buy.

At a 6% interest rate and higher than normal house prices, it would indeed suffocate many people to buy a house and afford to live a decent life.

This is that famous British sarcasm we know and love :heart: :uk:

4 Likes

Can’t help but feel my Brexit post has played a part here @Forever :joy:

1 Like

Not gonna lie, it was inspired by your post the other day.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Literally

Can’t speak for those who were actually in the process of buying/confirming but personally was sitting on a deposit ready to go when I found the right place and not arsed in the slightest…just have to wait.

Would rather than that take a mortgage I can’t afford and put myself in a struggle or buy a shittier house just for the sake of it. People need to remember how low the rates have been for years, there’s always people in the ‘unfortunate timing’ bracket so I’m not mad.

1 Like

My rate is currently 5.13 % on the home loan, I’ve been variable the whole time and it served me well for about 8.5 years, the last year has been mayhem though.

2 Likes

Literally what senior consultants on their gold plated pension, free tuition and properties bought for £40000 in 1990 are telling us, they don’t want to be paid more they don’t think we should be asking to be paid more.

Easy for some.

2 Likes

My rail fares are going up 6% in a week’s time.

Sigh.

Times like these I’m thankful I walk to work every day and only use the tube for social stuff on the weekends really

I only go into the office once a week, but it’s already just under £22 quid for my return ticket each time I do.

There are other rising costs hitting my wallet harder than this, but this is still a bit fucking galling.

2 Likes