Cost of Living

Will you be featured on an upcoming series of Grand Designs?

2 Likes

I have a pair of long johns that normally only see action if I go to a football match in the middle of winter, but I’m in the countryside with little around me so with the wind it doesn’t take much for it to feel cold. The long johns are seeing action.

And they’re bloody wonderful.

2 Likes

I run at about 1000C so I’ll have to be ill to turn the heating on

I’m feeling sympathetic towards your fucked boiler so I think it’s only fair I’m allowed a little smugness due to the summer dragging on :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mr McCloud would turn his nose up as our take on mid century modernism .

The house is bland from the front but Great from behind as the planners were restrictive somewhat.
Hopefully it is a comfortable stylish family house .
Basically before l lived in listed buildings and did them up but after we sold our last one , we were amazed how a boring bungalow with an extension could be turned into California on steroids. Basically we copied all their ideas .It went for £250 ,000 more than the asking price.
You always live and learn.

3 Likes

I really feel the cold more than most, so discovering long johns a few years ago changed my life.

I basically wear them every day from Sept/Oct through to March/April lol

The heat benefit is the key, but aside from that, I just find them comfy as fuck.

3 Likes

Not alone on this one fella, everyone always tells me I take ages in the shower…like yeah I’m enjoying it get bent. Turning it up at the end is the best bit.

Pure gym just opened nearby though so might do it in their showers twice a week, good tip stroller.

2 Likes

So I just got a letter off my daughter for a school trip to Spain in March.
800 quid five days. Coach travel out and back. So basically 3 day sightseeing.
Honestly right now, not sure people need this sort of pressure thrown in the mix.
It’s classed as helping practice with the kids Spanish lessons and art and culture etc.
Going to have a talk through about this tonight, but you know being in the middle of an industrial dispute, rising energy costs and Christmas on the horizon, I could do without this right now.

@Leper how do you view these things.

1 Like

How are they justifying that price for 5 days? Spain in March is off season so entry fees to cultural attractions is either free or next to nothing for kids.
If everything was planned in advance travel and group bookings for kids should surely be cheaper.
I’d have a word with the organisers and ask for a detailed breakdown in costs before they guilt trip you that 3 days in Spain is going to be beneficial to your daughter’s outlook of life during a cost of living crisis.

5 Likes

Food, drink and hotel, plus it’s effectively childcare as well. Does seem a bit tone deaf to arrange such a trip and ask for money now though.

1 Like

Teachers are being paid to do their job regardless and unless the kids are staying in 5 star accommodation and dining in top restaurants it still doesn’t justify that price in March

I run a trip to Germany which usually comes in at between 400-500 a head, it’s awesome for the kids learning but to be honest I thought about it for about 2 seconds this year before dismissing the idea because of this stuff. It’s not just that parents can’t afford it, most schools have got nothing in reserve for unexpected costs on something like this.

The trip to Ypres for the war memorial usually costs about 80 quid a head and I’m not sure I’m going to run that either.

Also, with coach rather than air travel, the price your kids school are evidently paying for this trip is a joke.

2 Likes

Can you request a financial breakdown? See if they can justify that price :slight_smile:

The justification will be they’ve been taken to the cleaners by either a hostel or a tour company or both.

In my experience :joy:

Just passed a village petrol station near me charging 2.16 a litre for diesel. Fucking thieves :joy:

3 Likes

Cheapest I’ve found so far was in Oxford at 1.75.

I wonder if we will see these prices drop again, 2.16 is a joke!

1 Like

Most petrol stations in Kent are around 1.86 at the moment, for context.

1 Like

Same cunts will cry outrage at the supermarkets offering cheaper prices/support/buy local but don’t step back and look at themselves and the absolute piss taking they do with their pricing, not even just fuel, you go into any village shop and the prices are extortionate. Deserve to go out of business for taking the piss.

2 Likes

Farm shops are even worse.

More expensive than Harrods ffs

3 Likes

Yeah @Leper beat me to it.

The price of diesel is slowly but surely creeping up. It’s horrid