Cost of Living

fwiw here in Swe it varies by a factor 2-3 across the country (cheaper up north, more expensive down south), but say the avg. price for a kwh is around 12p +/- 5p by google’s currency exchange thing.

In Stockholm it’s currently around 15p, about twice as expensive as it was maybe 3 months ago or so iirc. It has fluctuated wildly just in the last month. We’re also big energy exporters in general (most of the year, less so during winter), so baseline cost is probably comparatively low.

@oompa @Maverick79 @Starboy
Yes sorry, I shouldn’t be typing pre-coffee that early in the am. :slight_smile: Got my conversions all wrong. Current price is about 6.5p/kWh on a fixed rate. Floating rate is about double that.

Hope I’ve got my math right now. :).

1 Like

3 Likes

8 Likes
Have you caved and turned the heating on yet?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

My girlfriend did for an hour the other day while I was at the gym and there was swift retribution when I came home.

6 Likes

No hearing until December

I’ve voted no but it’s primarily because my boiler is fucked :slight_smile:

Sham going hardcore to avoid the price hikes.

3 Likes

I have fibromyalgia and have to be warm in the morning. I’ve switched the heating off and I’m going for a painful half-mile walk every morning to warm my body up.

I’ve got a meeting with my Tory MP! Any questions you’d like me to ask?

I don’t like Kier but it would be cool to have a Gooner running the country.

Most definitely not yet. I’ve got wood flooring throughout my downstairs so the floor can make it feel colder than it is, have stocked up on really thick socks and a new pair of slippers, also bought some really thick fucking candles as I find lighting a couple of those bad boys does make a difference.

1 Like

Absolutely not. We’re still very much in “just put on another layer” territory in this house.

It’s not even properly cold yet, we’re getting temps in the high teens still in October lol

4 Likes

Not yet as not cold enough. I’ll turn it on when it does get cold tho. Last time I had it on was May

No , so that means on days off the first shower has to be in the gym.
At least you can stay in that one as long as you want.

Tip of the day bar of soap over shower gel. Last longer for less.
Don’t judge me Ive lost two days pay on strike this week.

I’ve put it on but thermostat is very low just to stop it getting to uncomfortably cold and staying there. It’s come on twice for less than an hour. We have real stone floors so they’re basically permanent cold radiators. Wish I hadn’t been such a flash cunt now.

3 Likes

I might need to do some research on the financial implications of hot water usage lol

One of life’s biggest but simplest pleasures for me is staying in the shower 5 to 10 minutes longer than necessary and progressively pushing the water temperature to 40+ degrees until you can really feel it.

4 Likes

I voted no because it’s gonna be 30° today…sorry everyone

2 Likes

Yea, well, your solar panels won’t perform at maximum efficiency at that heat. So hah :santi:

1 Like

My thermals are getting some proper usage this year.

1 Like

It’s pressure from my teenage girls that the heating must come on , they tend to have no real understanding of the situation.

I have just built a house and moved fully in 2 weeks ago. A new build is not allowed gas anymore. Everything has to run off electrics .
We have been graded as A energy as we have exceptional insulation, triple glazing, air source ,and 12 solar panels flushed on the roof . We also have a battery to store any energy we make , then use it later instead of selling it back for peanuts . Wood burner also, everything underfloor heating.
I have no idea how effective and efficient it will be . It does seem to hold heat longer than a conventional house , the whole back of house is a wall of glass.
If l get a night rate from my energy provider then l can store it in the night and use it in the day , especially in winter when the solar will be inefficient. This l have not set up yet .
I pray it will keep costs down.
I

6 Likes