Coronavirus

Sounds like these vaccines are pretty good in fairness. My son has just been tested, and he has the virus, however his girlfriend, who has been vaccinated, just got her result back, and she’s clear…

1 Like

Get these places of worship closed now. What’s the get out clause on this nonsense?.

1 Like

The UK’s foreign minister has said the government is considering “all measures” after he was asked to confirm a report today that plans are to be made for the creation of quarantine hotels for those arriving in Britain.

Dominic Raab said the UK government was responding to the new variants emerging from South Africa and Brazil, as well as preparing for others.

“We don’t quite know yet. We have got some of the best experts across the world but we need to check whether those new variants create new pressure on the NHS [Britain health service] or undermine the vaccine programme,” he told Sky News.

After Britain moved last week to close travel corridors, the Sunday Times reports today that Downing Street believes the biggest threat to opening up is the growing number of mutant viruses around the world — some of which might be immune to the three vaccines Britain has bought.

It reported that civil servants were ordered to study New Zealand’s policy of “directed isolation” where everyone arriving is charged for a stay at an airport hotel and forced to remain in isolation for two weeks.

Quarantine hotels now. Better late than never I suppose

1 Like

Only being considered mate. They’ll spew it on the certificate before they fly here note.
Why we aren’t testing on arrival baffles me. That way it’s us taking control and responsibility. Not left with a finger pointing exercise if new variants start appearing here.

2 Likes

My friend went back home to Zanzibar for two months and just landed in the UK this morning. No testing, busy airports, loads of flights. Mismanaged is an understatement.

He only came back out of necessity otherwise he’d still be out there living with virtually no restrictions.

3 Likes

What we are really seeing and in all walks of life is that everyone is going too put it’s faith in the vaccinations alone.
By the end of this week 2 weeks into vaccinations people will lazily take liberty’s with the rules.
The variants are the worry now but probably to vague a message for some too take serious.

2 Likes

People have been taking liberties with the rules for months. Personally don’t think the vaccinations make a jot of difference to a lot of people’s mindset

2 Likes

I’m reading stories of civil disobedience in some countries. I’m not sure on the accuracy of the information but I heard that a significant number of businesses are breaching lockdown rules in Italy to reopen their business.

I think we’ll see a lot of that this year.

1 Like

I agree but im highlighting that from the lockdown situation. Honestly think travel is that one threat that is the biggest own goal of the lot. There highlighting variants but refuse to eliminate it’s biggest threat which is travel. Tbf it leads to people being disillusioned and angry and flexing the rules.

1 Like

Based on how the UK has done so far, they will eventually do it after a load of fucking about and unnecessary deaths.

Btw Toby Young should never write a newspaper column again and he should be in the jail in a just country

1 Like

Australia have done a great job here

2 Likes

And yet all I hear from Australians is whinging, while the rest of the world looks at them with envy.

3 Likes

Plural? :grin:

3 Likes

I have family in Perth, and all they do is whinge about it too.

Just an update on the vaccine. Had absolutely zero side effects by the second day. Went running, chased after Maddie, played with Wally, totally fine.

But some tennis players were mildly inconvenienced while trying to play tennis!!!1!!1!1

If only that idiot country could be like the great UK, where whole families are being wiped out by Covid! LOL

1 Like

Every time on the news people in hospital say they got it just after Christmas. How much is this due to people just mixing houses on Christmas Day/Boxing Day

A lot, I mean we all saw it coming.

Some people needed it, but to wholeheartedly endorse this rule-bending as an official policy was so stupid.

3 Likes

Yeah we have.

We are back to normal now - almost entirely.

Only difference between now and pre-covid is that we are wearing masks in supermarkets, shopping centres and Ubers.

Otherwise, everything is back open and the economy is flying. We are now running at 4.4% increase, whereas other nations are seeing 6-20% losses!

Do have a bit of survivors guilt, so always have be careful how we talk this up.

I think our governments (federal down to state) have made errors (some big some small) but we have learned from them.

Victoria specifically had huge issues with contact tracing at the start (and basically lied about how bad it was), but now the state has significantly improved and we now manage large outbreaks with speed, vigour and severity.

1 Like

Another difference to pre COVID is still crowd limitations at sporting events, just thought I’d add that in.

1 Like