Coronavirus

I’m pretty sure I read on a Bill Bryson book that bank notes are proven to be a much bigger risk in carrying flu viruses than many of the other measures we currently take because they can hold the microdots for a matter of weeks. But in fairness I’m not sure if going 100% paperless is feasible.

Feasible for some.

I haven’t wiped me arse since March.

1 Like

Nah I’m talking pubs and restaurants which are relevant to me here in Denmark at the moment :joy:

It annoys me that the waitress makes me wear my masks the 6 feet it takes me to walk over to all my mates that I won’t be wearing a mask with.

I also think it applies to department stores, shops etc. I don’t see the reason in me wearing a mask in these places when the only person I interact with in them is me and all the staff are behind plastic screens, and I never get within a metre of someone.

Masks in all these places won’t make a difference when people are hanging out in pubs and restaurants and at home and at the gym. I get it on packed tubes and trains though.

Before lockdown in the Uk I went to a pub with outdoor seating area, as I walked up to the patio where my friends were sitting the waitress made me get out my mask and put it on even though my friends were sat less than 10 feet away and we were gonna be sitting there for ages without masks on anyway.

This will be an issue again in the Uk when lockdown is eased. Also, how are numbers still so high every day in the UK during the national lockdown?!?

Interesting! I always had you down as more a bamboo guy. Texture isn’t quite the same as a good ol’ Andrex though I must admit.

1 Like

Maybe the reason the numbers are skyrocketing is because people are in restaurants and bars with all their mates not wearing masks and “spitting in each others faces” lol

Just sounds like you’re fed up and don’t want to wear one, which is fine obviously, we’d all rather not. I think that’s why you’re concluding they’re no use really.

2 Likes

What do you guys think will be estimated period for complete vaccine distribution?

Except the UK just registered 23,000 cases in a day when pubs and restaurants have been closed for more than 2 weeks and everyone’s working from home.

Something doesn’t add up and yeah I’m fed up with wearing them for sure, but I think that hands and distance play a bigger role than masks (might be wishful thinking though).

1 Like

Well more tests are being done (and I don’t know, but can they show false positives? If you’ve got a cold in winter, as many do have, will that alter the result to positive?) also, maybe it’s because many people don’t care any more. The only time people seem to wear a mask at the moment is when they’re in places where they’re pretty far away from anyone anyway. Such as in a shop.

People mix at school and at uni. Social distancing has gone out the window for many. I’ve seen people updating their social media with pictures/videos of them round friends houses or what not. I run past a park the other day and it was rammed, and parents/carers were all gathered together having a natter. Not a mask in sight. I’ve seen visitors coming and going from my neighbours’ houses.

On another note, I have an opticians appointment tomorrow. And I have been sent a list of rules, including having to take my own pen. So perhaps Boots know something we don’t and pens are the real culprits here :smile:

1 Like

There’s no proper lockdown. Everyone is still mingling.

3 Likes

You literally just said you were talking about Denmark and pubs and restaurants that are open and you and your friends are going to, and not the UK? I’m getting a bit lost here lol

Yeah, I think keeping a distance is definitely more effective, agree with you there. The mask is useful (or may be, I’ll try to avoid speaking in certainties) when you aren’t at a distance, but if you totally keep a distance from other people then the mask shouldn’t really come into play much.

1 Like

What ?! :joy::joy::joy:

It isn’t mandatory to wear masks here in Sweden. Some science says it’s effective, but most say it isn’t, so apparently our NHS has taken the stance not to recommend it.

I do however support masks because it makes people aware of COVID. If I meet a person wearing a mask in the store I take notice and will be extra careful with distancing. Also I don’t see the harm in everyone using a mask, if it is used properly that is.
From what I’ve seen from quite a few mask bearers is constant fidgeting with it. Or pulling it down below your chin. :man_facepalming:t3::man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Facemasks are effective. Try telling somebody from Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, that they’re not

5 Likes

It contributed but it didn’t force them
Into a lockdown, an over the top reaction from government and health officials shitting themselves over 22 cases is what forced 2 million people into lockdown.

Who knows if it’s even true, the next 2 days after enforcing lockdown only 1 or 2 cases came about so maybe they’ve just made something up so they don’t look like idiots for overreacting.

Absolute scenes that 20 cases come about in a state of 2 million people and no one is allowed outdoors to exercise or walk the dog :joy:.

3 Likes

Definitely on to something! I’ve been spritzing my hands like crazy everywhere I go and had a procedure done on my shoulder back in September where the hospital had a big old pot of “clean” and “dirty” pens when you came in and had to register :joy:

@JakeyBoy Yeah sorry, I’m heading back to London on Tuesday so I’m feeling a bit split right now knowing that I’m going back to full lockdown. So anything Denmark and UK is relevant to me right now.

1 Like

@Phoebica

Talking about people mixing at Uni and School, a friend of mine who was a media student just did a series videos interviewing freshers at the University of Bristol asking how their fresher experience had been affected by the virus.

The people interviewed said that it had been good so far and that they’d been partying quite a bit even though clubs were closed.

My favourite bit was when one guy said their accommodation block was closed down because 18 out of 23 freshers tested positive :joy: :joy:

You have weird mates :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We have clean and dirty pens for court.

The wildest thing was having witnesses come in with masks on! Defendants, rightly, pointed out that you have to face your accusers so how do we keep witnesses safe and let that happen?

We’re barreling towards total disaster here in the US. States can’t afford to shut down or won’t do it for fear of unbalancing their budgets and the Federal government is basically closed until January 20th. It’s kind of bleak.

3 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

With nearly half the population voting for Trump again, common sense would appear to be completely lacking for a lot of them.

1 Like