Coronavirus

Yep, bang on. I love that I have this place to vent

4 Likes

I have a simple solution to this.

Stop testing, no more cases reported, get back to normal.

World death rate from Covid-19 in under 70ā€™s now stands at 0.05% actually now less than flu.

Unfortunately governments canā€™t backtrack and admit they were wrong. It will take a vaccine to stop the testing which will in turn downgrade the virus which in turn will allow governments to take the step of u-turning without egg on their faces.

This whole reaction has been a global fuck up of epic proportions.

8 Likes

Whatā€™s the over 70 death rate?

Itā€™s difficult to measure that because most people die over 70 the average life expectancy is now around 81. So to determine what has killed someone specifically is harder. But yes Covid-19 is a lot more dangerous if you are over 70 and have underlying health conditions, just as flu is.

Basically what iā€™m getting at is that more people get tested, will result in more cases. Deaths are where you need to look and yes itā€™s gone up a bit over the last 2-3 weeks but thats because it normally does this time of the year, and it will keep going up over the winter months. But thats normal.

8 Likes

This thread needs some more @Shill

1 Like

If thatā€™s true, youā€™re still not comparing like with like. Because Covid under 70s deaths would be much higher without lock down and social distancing. In fact because of these measures most strains of flu are occuring at a far lower annual rate.

Youā€™re also ignoring long term lung/heart damage to covid survivors

2 Likes

The problem I have with this line of thinking, and indeed the problem Iā€™ve always had with it, is that you canā€™t take the risk of exposing the virus to over 70s. You canā€™t not have a lockdown, you canā€™t not promote social distancing because somewhere down the line, a twenty something will end up giving the virus to an over 70/immunocompromised patient.

Itā€™s crazy, horrible times, though.

When @Electrifying said there was an outbreak at the University of Nottingham, it put the frighteners in me as I was working there on Monday.

Genuinely curious here. What do you think we should do? Social distance until a vaccine is found? A young person could also give an elderly person the flu, which a lot of vulnerable people die of this time of year too.

I donā€™t know now :frowning:

More frustratingly, I donā€™t think the government know, either. How long can we keep locking down for? How long are we marooned at home for, not being able to go on holiday? Forget holidays- meeting family, going to concerts, going to live sporting events.

I think there will be a compromise soon where the government just say, ā€œf*** it, this has gone on too long- youā€™re free to meet loved ones as and when you pleaseā€. I genuinely think that time might be early 2021 (a new year, fresh start). I think they might say that regardless of numbers. Sporting events, concerts, weddings, pubs and clubs will have limited numbers right up until next summer, by my reckoning.

What Iā€™d like is an accelerated study into the effects on the 70 plus population. Moreover, they want it, too. Weā€™ve been indoctrinated with the fact/opinion that itā€™s deadly to this demographic. If itā€™s proved otherwise, release lockdown and let them enjoy some of the best years of their life outdoors and with loved ones. They deserve it.

I dont understand why everyone has to shield. Just protect the vulnerable, make them shield and let everyone else get this country moving again.

1 Like

Only a small percentage of that demographic.

This is basically where Iā€™m at. Obviously I canā€™t speak for the elderly. But if I was old with an underlying health issue, Iā€™d rather have 1 year with my children, grandchildren etc than 2 years stuck at home on my tod waving to loved ones through a bloody window!

That has been one of the saddest things for me. I have a care home not far from my house. I run past it a lot. And there will often be families chatting to their elderly relative through the window. Who wants to spend their last days like that?!

4 Likes

Iā€™m inclined to begin to agree now.

We need to look no further than the news. Donald Trump and the Prince formerly known as Charles have had it. Both over 70. Both recovered. OK, theyā€™ll have access to the best possible healthcare, but even still, if itā€™s an indiscriminate virus, once it hits you, no amount of drugs is going to help you recover. Makes you wonder, therefore, just how deadly it actually is.

3 Likes

I think the rethink has too come now on calculated risk.
Gyms, primary schools, nursery imo could be open too a braver policy.
Thereā€™s science evidence to support this with the proviso that the people in charge and clientele donā€™t get lax.
Seen people in gyms not clean down after use. Make sure they do.
14 days isolation on one kid being positive is too much. Make it 2 or 3 kids before this measure because kids are generally proving too be strong on this.
Pubs is a bit trickier. This is the hardest too control because you have to trust on people and thatā€™s not easy.
Id personally take football from being shown on screens because of the emotions it causes.
Care homes has too change that policy of none visiting. Itā€™s too cruel for everyone.
Its no good not being allowed too travel to areas but okay for work.
This tier system has just been broken beyond repair.
You have lost peopleā€™s trust now. Simply have to start again. Calculated risk would be my starting point.
That covers everything from sheilding, economy, well being . Not saying theres not going too have to be change too something because there is.
Mass participation can wait unfortunately but there is a path if where brave enough to try it.

1 Like

The thing with this though is youā€™re then taking business from an industry that desperately needs it. Iā€™m sure weā€™ve all been in a pub before when a sporting event has been on and the minute it finishes the pub half clears out. If it wasnā€™t for live sport, some pubs would really struggle. Weā€™re in tough times for so many businesses. Many wonā€™t survive, I donā€™t want to put another nail in the coffin.

Well i take the point but weā€™ve all been in that pub when it goes mental. Or when the last minute goal goes against and everyoneā€™s pissed off. People couldnā€™t be trusted imo and the chances are that goes against the pub staying open when someone posts the random video.

1 Like

Whole world is full of jelly babies. Woke community spreading fear, far more contagious that Covid-19. Sorry I know iā€™m being contentious but fuck it, iā€™m venting.

5 Likes

Not being funny here but isnā€™t the isle of man covid free? Why is it annoying you so much if you are basically fine haha

I wonder when people will realise the party of borders are actually the party of robbing their taxpayers.

They were meant to protect this countryā€™s borders but they bent over and let a plague loose.

Now you either devastate the economy and general populace, or devastate the health service in winter.

Good one.

1 Like

Itā€™s not anymore

Watched a doco last night called Totally Under Control (same guy who did Theranos doc and Going Clear) - and it actually made me more understanding of Victoriaā€™s approach; more specifically Iā€™d rather be at our extreme than what is going on in the US (and now the UK/Europe).