Coronavirus

But that only works if people request care, right? So a woman feeling trapped by her partner is not going to get daily carers checking up on her. Someone suffering depression will not always ask for help.

Our lockdown was bad enough for me, I can’t imagine what a more severe version would have done to my health.

It’s always a problem. But lockdown/the pandemic caused it to be a bigger problem. There is a reason calls to helplines went through the roof. There is a reason cases of PND increased. It’s not just a coincidence.

1 Like

Everyone that has been out of work has been on a jobkeeper subsidy that gives them $1500 a fortnight.

That is getting reduced to $1300 a fortnight in October though and $1000 a fortnight in Jan, so things are going to start getting interesting.

1 Like

Not to appear insensitive, but weren’t these problems pre-COVID?

People (especially men) not speaking up about mental health problems. People feeling trapped in relationships involving domestic violence.

The help and support is still there. They won’t just disappear.

I’d be a bit more concerned by what @arsenescoatmaker said a few weeks back- care for cancer patients diminishing during lockdown leading to increased death

2 Likes

Yeah but that’s by governance surely. Don’t furlough people in these areas. Bus drivers train drivers posties got classed as key workers from day one.
Nobody got a say in it. Just had to be done. Quite simply the need was strong enough for others in support to have to be put in this category surely.

1 Like

Yes and I’ve just answered that. They became bigger problems during lockdown. Calls to helplines increased. Cases of post natal depression increased this year etc.

Anyway I’m not wasting my time in this thread any more. It’s too frustrating. As someone who personally suffered during the lockdown, I find it quite patronising that this viewpoint is just being seen as meh, that was a problem before. It wasn’t a problem for me before.

2 Likes

While I completely sympathise with mental health problems and domestic abuse situations I think people are starting to lose sight of the true purpose of lockdown. On one hand to it was to protect the NHS but more importantly it was to save people, men women and children who are suffering from much worse diseases.

The mental health aspect is hard I struggle with it myself, I get isolated and find it mundane, I miss my job, I worry about the future. However all these concerns are nothing when I compare them to families who are fighting horrible illness’s at this point in time. The weight of going through that during a pandemic must be monumental.

I said at the start I can handle lockdown for as long as it takes for the people who are in those situations. That’s still true today. It’s just a shame that more and more people are losing sight of it.

3 Likes

It isn’t being seen as “meh”. No one has said that.

You said yourself there isn’t a right answer yet you’re searching for an answer that says lockdown is wrong

2 Likes

What’s pissing me off in the testing. This government is fucking everything up. My 3 year old has a fever. It’s likely a normal virus, but we won’t be able to send him back to nursery for 14 days or he gets a negative test. Well, guess what, I can’t book a bloody test. I know there is a mobile testing unit just down the road tomorrow, but I can’t get an appointment. So we all have to isolate until he gets a test and it’s negative or for 14 days. We both work full-time from home and started courses that have been keeping us busy in the evening after he goes to bed.

Oh, and the questions asked are fucked up too. The ask for ‘your’ details. Then when you select you’re booking for someone else, they never ask for their details, just yours. WTF?

We have been following the guidelines and it’s been a normal fever, but he’s also has a headache, but again, I get this sometimes with the weather changes too. But both are symptoms of covid. Headaches are more common in kids than coughing or loss of smell/taste. But overall he’s been full of life (whilst on Calpol and fever is down) and eating well. But now we are in a situation where we will likely have to pay for a private test so this doesn’t run into next week. Plus if by chance it was positive, then we’d get testing too.

It’s fucking frustrating. I finally got a physio appointment booked for Tuesday for my back. Now I have to cancel. Will also have to reschedule his pre-school booster vaccine. On the selfish side, I’m glad this didn’t happen until after I took my driver’s theory test. It would’ve been too late to cancel and get my money back. And I passed. But this has killed the joy of that pass.

3 Likes

So like 1600 quid a month? Sheeeeesh.

How does it work with kids? People with kids have to adhere to 1 hour outside time a day since March? Are nurseries open or school? Like I dont understand the quality of life works, how is any of that acceptable for such a long period of time.

You can tell who is single, or doesn’t have kids from this thread i swear. Inside all day 1 hour outside, no nurseries or schools for like a year potentially. L to the L

These current restrictions with the exercise rule have only been in place for the last 2 months or so, although we’ve predominantly been in lockdown for nearly 6 months it hasn’t been as strict this whole time.

Childcare places have been open at times for essential workers.

Yeah kids or no kids you have to adhere to the exercise rules, imagine being locked in your home for nearly 6 months with kids the whole time :rofl:.

Yeah equivalent of 1600 quid a month, a lot of people on it also given only so called essential workers are working, you can imagine the sort of debt being racked up.

I’m one of the lucky ones, working for infrastructure in Melbourne’s railway network I’ve been working throughout the whole saga.

My kid loves going outside, I said the other day, here I reckon its going to be half my boys life where he hasn’t been able to hug his grand parents etc or properly play with other children.

Imagine adding or going for long walks, going to the park etc. For half his life.

We would all go insane.

And yeah, I guess you guys are going to be taxed out of your arseholes afterwards aswell. Which is also nice.

I dont envy you dude, at all, I just hope we don’t sit our pants this winter.

1 Like

No but I also don’t see the benefit of downplaying the virus.
Normalcy has to resume but if it is done by lying to yourself and the public, lesser individual hygiene measures will be taken.

We already have enough idiots who don’t want to wear mask on grounds of freedom.

The virus is here to stay and we have to navigate our lives around it so we have to modify our lives accordingly with individual and collective responsibilities.

No offence Aussie, you have never had a rational approach towards this pandemic from day 1 so I don’t see you understanding this.

3 Likes

I’ve had a rational response from day 1, I’m just waiting for everyone else to come around lol.

I’m all for personal hygiene mate, if something good has come of the virus that’s it, people more diligent about personal hygiene.

I agree with parts of what you’ve just said here, good stuff.

So apparently nursery says he has to be symptom free fro 10 days before returning to nursery. His energy is off the charts this morning. No fever. Been up since 6. Running around the house since 7. So much to do this week. Can’t take him outside to the park even and no garden. Been constantly trying to book him for a test so he can go back this week, but I just don’t see it happening. Looks like I’m going to have to fork out for a private test because we can’t be doing this for a week and half. If he tested positive, fair enough then.

Well you’re in luck lads

It’s outside I guess, just like football and rugby etc are still allowed.

Wait I am pretty sure researchers have already concluded kids don’t really spread the virus :thinking:

School rules unfortunately. It’s a bloody minefield.

My daughter’s school is a bit more relaxed I guess, no face mask required etc

Yeah mine too as it’s primary. Seems like we’ve had emails by the day on this.