Coronavirus

Have they protected them or just hid them away, because any relaxation on the lock down will see a spike in infection like most countries did at the start of this. Almost like a ticking time bomb until a vaccine

1 Like

It will take a monumental effort.

Itā€™ll almost literally involve restrictions and/or checks on people coming into Melbourne

This has got to be a baiting post lol

2 Likes

Lol itā€™s not lolol

Iā€™d say Australia have took the restrictions to far. Others havenā€™t done it enough.

Itā€™s looks to be proper hard to get a middle ground here.

3 Likes

So the world should just all sit inside right now and not go more than 5km from their homes and only leave their residence for no longer than 1 hour. Indefinately as well because a vaccine is potentially years away. That is not feasible in reality.

1 Like

Thatā€™s scary.

If we were to consider the practicalities of ā€œsitting insideā€ and also the incubation period of the virus and time needed for self-isolation, wouldnā€™t the virus abate after 14 days?

If we all stayed at home (which we canā€™t, but lockdown aspires to be close to ā€œallā€ the population) for a month, then those infected with COVID would either recover or sadly die and those who hadnā€™t wouldnā€™t need to worry.

The numbers, in theory, wouldnā€™t be as high.

@Aussiegooner wants mitigating circumstances for elderly and immunocompromised people while everyone else can live. This is nigh on impossible.

If David, who is 24, goes to the gym followed by a pub and then a restaurant, whatā€™s going to happen when he goes back home? To the house he shares, incidentally, with his grandparents who are both over 70

1 Like

David should be mindful that he lives and has close contact with people in the high risk vulnerable category.

My point being that David is common to all of us. Youā€™re never too far from an immunocompromised or elderly member of the public

1 Like

See the really big issue of coming out of restrictions is trust.
Governments have fucked up hugely and made costly mistakes. So when people say open up and look after the vulnerable itā€™s a big ask.
People simply in that situation canā€™t give that trust. Its been eroded.
I mean ffs 6 months in and people canā€™t get testing in their own areas.
So for these phases re introduction too happen people wanting that change need to be bringing that argument forward to the powers that be.

2 Likes

Yep.

I can only hope and entrust the people now. People must have learnt lessons on social distancing, hand hygiene and wearing masks to protect others.

Based on what Iā€™ve seen, they havenā€™t :pensive:

Easing of lockdown just meant a free-for-all

1 Like

What about the other vulnerable people though? What about the women who are being abused by their husbands? Or even vice versa. What about the people with mental health conditions?

Having a full on lockdown Aus style may well reduce cases of Coronavirus. But it would increase deaths in other areas.

There is no ā€œrightā€ answer here, but there are many ā€œsolutionsā€ that I believe to be very wrong.

2 Likes

Yeah people as individuals have been weak and poor. The lack of enforcing things though has contributed hugely.
Entitlement is something so many have found hard too accept and wont change even if and when we find a vaccine.

4 Likes

This year has been completely ruined anyway, Iā€™d much rather be in Austrailiaā€™s shoes where they look to be containing the virus than ours where weā€™ve sat on the fence between lockdown and pub crawls.

4 Likes

The Melbourne lockdown allows concessions for care or care-giving according to Aussie.

They appear to be trying to find practical solutions to this.

Very good points and essential needs. I struggle to see why how these things should be such a problem to deal with.
We had a term keyworker at the start of this. This should of been extended from a month in on people in this line of work.
Again now this is not down too the virus but poor management.
I mean from day one really some people could of been helped with zoom.
My son getting his first interview this week by this option. Bloody ridiculous taking this long.

If someone is beating their wife due to lockdown thatā€™s more to do with the person than the virus. I do agree that the first and foremost thing should be making sure people who need care should be getting it. Whether that is those in need of serious illness treatment, counciling or shelter.

Iā€™m not quite sure how we found ourselves prioritizing pubs and restaurants over schools, health care and social services.

1 Like

Is that what currently happening in AUS? How does it work?

This still baffles me.

My prediction would be if/when numbers go up in the winter, thereā€™d be a lockdown of sorts where pubs, gyms, restaurants close again but schools, colleges and universities continue.