Coronavirus

Wait, is that a thing in Australia? Sorry I avoid news about the virus now so I havent kept up

Yeah mate in Melbourne the restrictions are currently, only leave your house for care or care giving, essential workers, essential groceries ( only 1 from your household), or exercise only once per day for a maximum of 1 hour. Canā€™t be more than 5km from your home. Must wear a face mask at all times when leaving your house, even if walking backstreets in the sunshine.

Wearing a mask outside is fucking nuts :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Sounds like stringent restrictions.

I think if that is abided by, itā€™ll enforce containment and drastically drop the case numbers significantly

Yeah one thing I doubt Iā€™d do.

Yeah and if the only ambition was to curb coronavirus numbers it wouldnā€™t be a hideous strategy.

Sadly many other factors at play here, so itā€™s utterly nonsensical.

That just sounds ridiculous.

1 Like

Oh wow, thats mental, what are the repercussions over there if you dont adhere to the mental rules?

Well a couple got fined $1650 each for doing the grocery shop together, same find if youā€™re caught out of your 5km radius without a valid reason.

$200 if seen without a face mask.

Yip, Iā€™m expecting the same here in NZ soon enough.

Our government have been routinely and widely lauded for their performance, but they have completely left the back door open with absolutely zero continuity for businesses etc.

I think next year we will start seeing many close their doors because itā€™s simply impossible to pay 10 weeks rent and wages without being able to open.

I had 2 physical retail-based businesses, one of which I just ended my lease on immediately and the other I am 90% of the way done on a sale.

Many others will not be so lucky and will have to fight to keep their homes etc

1 Like

Well at least there are strict rules.

Our government couldnā€™t come up with a plan to allow more than 15 elite sports players with all of the medical resources available to them to train together, despite being isolated from all others outside the team.

This resulted in us losing hosting the Rugby Championship to Australia.

Yet, they can give 2 people flying from fucking London an exemption to drive down the country to go to a funeral.

Ridiculous.

Oh my fucking God, thats ridiculous.

Are there not like massive protests in regards to this?

How can they control your life over a virus thats barely affected Australia? Did you say 12 people are in critical condition across the entire country? What the hell man.

1 Like

Yeah man 12 people are currently in critical condition across the country and about 1500 active cases.

I think today we get a reprieve in restrictions, eased to 2 hours a day exercise and curfew 9pm Instead of 8pm.

Yeah protests have happened last 2 weekends but not in the numbers required to force change. Police have also been everywhere setting up roadblocks etc making it extremely hard for people to get in.

Need mass numbers like Iā€™ve seen in Berlin etc.

Do you not think that itā€™s because of these strict restrictions that your numbers are so low?

Of course that plays a part but would not agree that Australia has got the balance all wrong ?

People have been out of work for nearly 6 months, people have barely seen family and friends in 6 months, small business in ruins, mental health in disarray I could go on.

Originally we were told they they donā€™t want the hospital system to be overwhelmed, well I can tell you itā€™s far from overwhelmed regarding covid.

Excellent.

Thatā€™s the aim, and Australiaā€™s achieving it.

Itā€™s a lesson to the world

1 Like

Lol yep all that matters is coronavirus cases are down.

Letā€™s lockdown every year for the flu also, because itā€™ll prevent flu cases, our flu deaths are massively down this year also.

I just hope the government can keep handing out billions and billions in stimulus packages each year and never ask for the money back :pray:

My god some people are beyond fried :rofl:

2 Likes

Well, dude, youā€™ve been against lockdown since day 1. I almost canā€™t expect you to look at it objectively.

However, based on the figures youā€™ve quoted, Australia hasnā€™t appeared to have a first or second wave.

What do you want to happen now? Relax restrictions such that COVID can take a hold. People are going to die of something, let them die of COVID, too, so that I can get on with my life.

Australia has made their omelette by cracking eggs. Other governments have cracked eggs and made their omelette laced with eggshell.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been against lockdowns from day 1 and itā€™s absolutely vindicated.

Melbourne are 6 months in and still in lockdown, basically praying for a vaccine ? What if a vaccine never arrives ?

Iā€™m not saying return to 100k people at sporting events or concerts or anything, Iā€™m saying mitigate risk for the elderly/ vulnerable as best you can and allow the 99 % of people that will get sniffle from this get on with their life as best you can.

Anyways I should probably have a spell in this thread now, everyone has their views and people arenā€™t gonna alter them 6 months in haha.

The strange thing is the lockdown has been vindicated given the way itā€™s been enforced in Australia. The way itā€™s been governed has allowed the country to have such astonishingly low numbers.

Have a look around at other countries that have had a wishy-washy way of enforcing it. I am in no doubt whatsoever that if Dominic Cummings didnā€™t do what he did, weā€™d still be in a lockdown of sorts here and our numbers would be considerably better.

Iā€™d hope Melbourne can get to a point where they can COVID test all those on incoming flights and quarantine them if they test positive. Otherwise, theyā€™ve done exceptionally well in protecting their own from a deadly disease.