Coronavirus

It is very weird pubs are opening before something that keeps you fit and healthy :joy:

I guess because pubs you sit in one place or outside and you pay for the beer.

Gyms youre paying a monthly fee most the time for i can only assume queues, A/C spreading the air around and sweat.

1 Like

What Pure Gym are arguing is that their ventilation system is significantly better than a lot of industries that are reopening.

I would get the logic behind not reopening gyms if it wasnā€™t inconsistent. What Iā€™m not sure is why pubs are reopening as if itā€™s logical to trust drink people to social distance lol.

Either way though the government have completely fluffed this entire handling of the pandemic from start to finish.

2 Likes

I guess the thinking is that since we now think transmission is very low outside, things like pub gardens are ok so pubs use that to open, whereas Gyms are all indoors and to me, right up there with the riskiest places to pick up infection.

2 Likes

I think for a lot of industries itā€™s just the lack of clarity from the government anyway. And the lack of communication from them. Nail bars are frustrated because you can get a haircut but you canā€™t get your nails done and the government are providing them with firm enough dates or reasons why.

There are some gyms that would be a genuine worry if they reopened. The first summer I put a lot of effort into losing weight I went to a gym which was little more than a room above a Chinese takeaway whose idea of ventilation was opening the door to the fire escape.

However, a lot of chain gyms especially are big open spaces with proper ventilation and enough staff to keep equipment clean when itā€™s been used. You could perhaps even put a system in place to book machines for certain time slots to make it even more manageable. Its ridiculous a dingy wetherspoons can open if a good gym canā€™t.

Apart from prison gyms.

@SRCJJ you know what you gotta do, man

8 Likes

I wonder if the tax revenue benefits of opening pubs vs gyms had a factor in the decision making. Just saying.

2 Likes

David Lloyds gyms have been open for a month now doing outdoor classes only.

I think the issue is with crowded indoor areas where multiple people are constantly touching the same equipment.

When I go to the pub the only things I touch are the bar, my drink and the table Iā€™m sitting at and maybe the toilet door handle.

In the gym Iā€™m constantly touching several different pairs of dumbbells, different benches, barbells, plates, resistance machines, medicine balls, cardio machines and Iā€™m breathing a lot heavier and harder increasing my ability to spread my spit as are little dozens if not hundreds of other people at the same time and throughout the day.

I think itā€™s pretty obvious why gyms arenā€™t able to open yet lol

A fairer comparison would be gyms and nightclubs, which also arenā€™t allowed to open yet either (for good reason).

1 Like

Whilst Iā€™m sure your personal biological imprint is thoroughly respectable I think youā€™d find a surprising variety of bodily fluids on your average wetherspoons surface

:joy:

Yeah youā€™re probably right in that respect.

I think youā€™re more likely to get more people touching more surfaces and getting spit on more surfaces in gyms than pubs.

Three days in a row! Superb

1 Like

Notice wallet wasnt mentioned here.

9 Likes

@Electrifying looks like it might actually happen

1 Like

How can it realistically work though? Think of that border pic you posted the other day with the grass. How many crossings are there similar to that?

1 Like

I donā€™t know how its possible :joy: must be pretty serious if they are thinking about it tho

@Calum, @Electrifying queued up at Primark today in the rain in Scotland. Enjoy lads.

3 Likes

Canā€™t remember the last time I was in Primark.

I much prefer online shopping :joy:

Only time you need to go to actual shops is for shoes but usually I just risk it and buy them online aswell :joy:

1 Like

Good lad. Keeping me in work and getting me overtime.

7 Likes