Coronavirus

I grew up in the SE9 post code near Eltham. It was 10 minutes walk to the railway station then 25 minutes or so to London Bridge so could’ve been worse. It was a shit hole though compared to Islington where I moved when I became a student at 18. Never felt an urge to go back to South East London after that.

Isn’t Tottenham the same?

Inaccessible and you can only use overground to get there?

1 Like

Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale are on the Victoria Line. Bit of a walk to their toilet bowl stadium from either of those, mind.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m guessing the Seven Sisters would be equidistant for us, too. (i.e. walking to the Emirates from there would take the same time as walking to White Hart Lane)

I grew up in SE18 and spent most of my life there. Moved to East when I got married then back home after. Moved up Hornsey/Crouch End last year and don’t think I’ll ever go back to South East again.

@JakeyBoy hit the nail on the head though before the advent of the DLR we were completely in the middle of nowhere for travel. They’ve got cross rail coming soon too which will be amazing but thankfully JB and the rest of us saw sense and left haha.

1 Like

If money wasn’t an object then I would seriously consider living in either Greenwich proper or Blackheath, both are absolutely lovely. There are plenty of similarly lovely places in London, but I wanted to give a bit of love to the South East as we’ve all given it a bit of a kicking lol.

Also just realised what thread we’re in, horribly off topic lol, apologies.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is the best connection in the area to the underground network. I used to go to school in Tottenham, and it’s a very bus reliant area (which I don’t like), a bus stop could have 9 different buses and the main road is packed with them. Buses and overground stations are the closest to WHL, whereas Islington has more train connections which I prefer (Victoria/Piccadilly and overground) some just 5 mins away from the Emirates which is very handy.

1 Like

I rent a flat in Greenwich and I agree that it’s nice, especially when the weather is good, with the parks and riverside paths.

1 Like

You little posh boy lol.

It’s lovely there isn’t it, I moved out of that area recently and definitely miss it.

I really like Epping on the East side. Close enough to get into the city via Central line in 40 mins and feels as if you’re far enough out to enjoy the perks of semi-country life with the forest and a good market town high street.

1 Like

Area is absolutely the most peaceful and quiet I’ve ever lived in lol. I spent most of my life growing up in South East London on council estates so to live somewhere that’s just peace and quiet is a dream lol. Right now I live not too far from Priory Park (opposite it actually) and a 5 minute walk from The Broadway.

It’s convinced me that when I do get onto the housing ladder next year I’ll be happy living somewhere quiet out of London. I always imagined I’d need to stay in London to be happy but so long as I’ve got a good gym and a good enough A road or motorway near me to get into London I’d be happy.

3 Likes

You live really close to the dude that recently played Doctor Who. Peter what’s he called.

Yeah man we’re hoping to buy next year and we been looking in this area too.

Reports that Leicester could be the first city here to go back into some form of lock down. Significant raise in cases in the last fortnight.

1 Like

Flagrant disregard of lockdown. People needlessly getting together during eid, etc

Surprised the BLM protests and recent civil unrest haven’t caused a rise in cases.

I’m not certain they haven’t. I’m not sure I trust this government to tell the truth about case numbers.

4 Likes

Interesting precedent - A lot of businesses will be watching that, not just gyms.

It does seem weird that pubs but not gyms are allowed to open. Exercise is something that should actively be encouraged by governments, plus if bars/restaurants can enforce social distancing/hygiene then gyme shouldn’t have a problem

A lot of businesses are frustrated by the governments total lack of logical reasoning for not allowing them to reopen but allowing certain other sectors to reopen.

Some businesses are complaining they’ve spent thousands of pounds upgrading their facilities to fall in line with government guidelines only for them to do a u turn and then not offer them a fixed date for reopening.

I’m not in favour of what Gymbox intend to do but I totally understand why businesses are considering it at this stage.

3 Likes