Chelsea

I would say that comments like that are why international fans shouldn’t have a voice in the English game. Especially those from outside Europe who really have no grasp of what’s important in English football.

6 Likes

What in the world have I just watched. Why are those people cheering?

So all of the major USA based leagues have all-star games. The game itself is a one-off exhibition or friendly between two artificially assembled teams (sometimes it’s by league, or they have “captains” draft players into a team, or they’ll do North America vs. The World, or one team of league all-stars against a visiting European team coming over to make money).

But a lot of leagues also have some hooplah surrounding the game to gin up extra coverage. This usually takes the form of skills competitions. In baseball there’s a home run derby where a bunch of players get lobbed balls and they see who can hit the most or in basketball the dunk contest or three point shooting contest. It’s silly and, most importantly, unlikely to end in an injury to a player who is in the middle of their season (most all-star games take place midseason).

In MLS 1.0 they had something called goalie wars where they’d have two goals really close together and two goalies would basically take turns trying to score on the other. There are people cheering because this was taking place during all-star festivities so people were in the stands.

1 Like

That really is peak America :joy:

1 Like

It’s not a bad thing imo. It’s just harmless fun. And from a player protection standpoint you’re getting paid a bonus to be there but less likely to tear your ACL in some meaningless friendly.

2 Likes

The alternative suggestion wasn’t condensing it to mere 10 clubs.
You have too many mouths to feed and end up not feeding enough.

2 players from any club. Makes it much more interesting when picking squads.

1 Like

Well, it’s not like English fans have the wits to suggest anything better.

1 Like

Among those, the English Premier League not only maintains its place as leader, but also widens the gap, recording €5,492 million in revenue . Behind that sits the German Bundesliga with €3,005M and Spain’s LaLiga, third, with €2,948M, then Italy’s Serie A (€2,527M) and France’s Ligue 1 (€1,614M) next in the ranking.

The English seem to be doing something right mate. All of these new ideas appear to me to be a way for other European leagues to bridge the gap with the English league. The Premier League doesn’t benefit from stupid ideas like what Boehly has put across.

And I’m aware you said fans but English fans undoubtedly have a better understanding of the structure and importance of the English football pyramid and why it has to be maintained. Grassroots football is closer to the heart of people who have played it in England and people like the Chelsea chairman couldn’t give a shit about stuff like that.

1 Like

This premise just isn’t true though. Top clubs hoard a disproportionate amount of revenues.

It’s embarrassing knowing the PL generates huge sums but we don’t drastically improve our grassroots and lower leagues with targeted investment which create an overall better game

4 Likes

With two player rule.

2 Likes

London XI vs the Rest of the UK

I’d pay to see that

1 Like

James at LB and Chilwell at RB is triggering me

3 Likes

That’s some old school @Calum shit :joy:

3 Likes

Certainly a decent introduction for kids and period of time being short entertaining.
One thing we don’t really incorporate in football are different shorter formats of the game enough.
5 or 6 a size games at club representation level are worthy of some investment.
Lot of other sports have and it’s a good opportunity for highlighting skills away from tactical detail as a change.

I’d hope things have changed a little since my school days, but in year 6 (10 or 11 years old for our foreign friends) our matches versus other schools were played on full size pitches with full size goals, it was so fucking stupid lol

2 Likes

Little kids over here play on mini pitches with much smaller goals. Even some high schools don’t play on full sized pitches and most leagues have rolling substitutions because for most kids it’s about having fun rather than trying to “make it”

Obviously there’s a whole parallel system in the USA involving pay-to-play and elite travel academy soccer which feeds into professional teams from both the MLS (highly structured salary brackets) and the wheeler dealer leagues like NSAL.

What would American people say if an English businessman went over there and said they are going to change the format of Baseball and invent new tournaments?

1 Like

I tried that, told them baseball was just rounders. It didn’t go down well.

3 Likes

You’re right, it is rounders…except the back stop wears big gloves.